Do you like our chances in the NFC??..no really?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we are going to end up seeing a major difference between the Packer's perceived value of Raji and Raji's and his agent's perceived value of himself.

I'm guessing Raji will be seeking about 5 year/$50M, which would put him in line with Ngata and Wilfork. I would think the Packers won't be interested in approaching that figure at all, nor should they.

Reaction score
Raji is an average player. He played better earlier in his career, not sure if that fire will ever get lit again. I, for one, hope we keep him, but agree with the predominant sentiment - he is expendable.

After 2010 I had high hopes for him. We so badly need the kind of run defense he offered then. Now? Yeah, not so much. :(

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I think we are going to end up seeing a major difference between the Packer's perceived value of Raji and Raji's and his agent's perceived value of himself.

I'm guessing Raji will be seeking about 5 year/$50M, which would put him in line with Ngata and Wilfork. I would think the Packers won't be interested in approaching that figure at all, nor should they.
It should be very interesting as Raji, Matthews and Rodgers all have the same agent. It's the Packers against the agent for 3 contracts. Win one and lose another. Very interesting indeed.
Regardless, people think you just cast Raji aside if it doesn't work - where's his replacement? I don't see a simple solution there at all. You just don't go grab players like that off the trash heap on the cheap.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gave one eventual replacement -- Johnathan Jenkins, Georgia.

Johnathan Hankins from Ohio State is another possibility.

Rodgers is going to get $20M+ a season. Possibly closer to $25M. Matthews may be looking for something similar to what Mario Williams got from the Bills.

I think most would agree that those two are priority. I don't see the budget fitting a 3rd super-contract like that -- especially not for a player who isn't a superstar.

To me, it's not about casting Raji aside. I just don't think we have the resources and future cap space to make 3 huge multi-year contracts at the same time work. And IMO it's not worth it for him anyway.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This season states a really strong case for a schedule not end up being what it first appeared to be.

Really, we could run the table against our remaining schedule. I don't think we will -- not everything goes perfectly every game. Games in Detroit and Dallas are probably the toughest remaining ones. Somehow we will probably end up also getting the Giants' best as we always seem to the last few years. I think 12-4 is pretty realistic. Unfortunately, that probably won't be enough for a bye this year but 13-3 or 14-2 probably would.

I'm still not sure what to make of Detroit, I'm more worried about them than the Bears. The Bears have the same injury problems as us, but we have depth, they don't.

Reaction score
Man - idk guys, San Fran/Seattle/New Orleans are unbeatable this year - if only we could have a Steven Jackson/Dwight Freeney on the team to scare the opposition into forfeiting due to their fear of over paid recognizable names. :whistling:

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I do like our chances, I thought of San Fran as the team that would start out great and slowly taper. Seahawks being vigorous and shaky near the end. New Orleans will shoot themselves in the foot, and the only thing I think of for NFC East is that every game screams trap. I think the Packers can make the 2 seed this year.

AZpackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My prediction was 11-5.....hosting a wild-card game, but losing in the divisional round again. This team is in the middle tier and until we shore up our secondary and our O line.....we won't be quite at 49ers or Seahawks level yet. Yes, our run blocking is better,and our secondary is playing better (biggest test coming in a few weeks against Megatron) but Rodgers seems to still be running for his life. We need a TE who can separate and to get our receiving corps back in pads. We are supposed to get Cobb back by week 15.....hopefully that will make a lot of difference. And as always, the fly in the soup.....the injury bug has to stay away. In other words IMHO, unless we get homefield (Lacy in the cold), we will likely be one and done this year. Anything better would be a welcomed surprise though. :)

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My prediction was 11-5.....hosting a wild-card game, but losing in the divisional round again. This team is in the middle tier and until we shore up our secondary and our O line.....we won't be quite at 49ers or Seahawks level yet. Yes, our run blocking is better,and our secondary is playing better (biggest test coming in a few weeks against Megatron) but Rodgers seems to still be running for his life. We need a TE who can separate and to get our receiving corps back in pads. We are supposed to get Cobb back by week 15.....hopefully that will make a lot of difference. And as always, the fly in the soup.....the injury bug has to stay away. In other words IMHO, unless we get homefield (Lacy in the cold), we will likely be one and done this year. Anything better would be a welcomed surprise though. :)

Both the 9ers and seahawks have had games where they looked way worse than we have in any loss this year. They can be beat, and they can be beat by us. Maybe we won't be the favorite, but we can beat them no doubt.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, LOLOLOLOL at the free agency hand wringers from the start of this thread. For godsake people, when will you learn that the free agency super bowl means NOTHING? Just because you're heard of someone's name doesn't mean that they'll be better next year than a guy you haven't heard of yet. Seriously people, remember this next year and every year after that. Remember what an idiot TT was for not getting Steven Jackson? The guy who had 11 carries for 6 yards last week?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had predicted a 10-6 record. I would definitely adjust that because the Packers are considerably better, especially at the DL and with the running game. Also some teams have not turned out to be what I thought. A 12-4 finish is definitely possible, which may not get us a 1st round bye.

@Detriot will probably be the toughest game remaining on the schedule.
Giants have come back from the dead, so they won't be an easy win, and the Cowboys? They're good but they always find a way to lose.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Giants wont be back from the dead until they win 3 more in a row, which I DONT see happening. The 2 meaningless games they won were against the vikings and the eagles who were using Matt Barkley at QB.......I could see the University of Alabama beating the vikings and eagles right about now.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I originally predicted a 10-6 record, but lowered it to 9-7 when Bulaga went on IR. Am glad to say that it's starting to look like I was too pessimistic. Like most others, am surprised to see Bahk and the O-line do so well. Lacy has been better than expected and the run stuffers have upped their game to top5.

I predicted the first four games accurately, but I did not envision Baltimore dropping as far as they have with the losses of those key players from last season. Also, I did not see the implosions of teams such as Atlanta and NYG-- two games that I thought would be tougher than they will likely be (I still had ATL as a win, but NYG was a loss). Lastly, Philly, Pittsburgh and Chicago are not as challenging as I thought. Detroit and Dallas remain possible losses.

After reading through this thread, I find that I wasn't as far off as some doom-and-gloom predictions, though...

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Right now I see us getting wins the next four games. Thanksgiving is going to be tough, but if we have more of our starters back by then we're going to be tough to beat. After that the games I see as challenges are Dallas and maybe Chicago at home.

Saints have to travel to Seattle which means a loss for one of them and the Niners have to play Seattle one more time as well, the winner likely deciding who wins the West.

I see us winning the division at the least, and competing for a 1st round bye.

Thoughts?

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Giants wont be back from the dead until they win 3 more in a row, which I DONT see happening. The 2 meaningless games they won were against the vikings and the eagles who were using Matt Barkley at QB.......I could see the University of Alabama beating the vikings and eagles right about now.

I don't care how bad the Giants have looked this season. Somehow they always give the Packers their best, so I'm still worried about this game.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
The Giants are back from the dead when their Kicker scored all of their points last weak against the Feebles? Generous assessment to say the least.

Called 10-6 with both a loss and a win we shouldn't have. So far so good.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year someone says this about some nfl team. Do you really believe it though? Seriously, you know that's total nonsense, right?
There's been a few exceptionally bad teams over the years though. 2007 Dolphins led by Cleo Lemon who went 1-15 and 2008 winless Lions would all certainly be contested games against a team like the current Tide. I'm not saying they'd win, but it'd be close.

jjmcjj

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year someone says this about some nfl team. Do you really believe it though? Seriously, you know that's total nonsense, right?

That primetime game coupla weeks ago when the 'Queens started Freeman, I think a college team mighta beat em...

CW21NumeroUno

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's been a few exceptionally bad teams over the years though. 2007 Dolphins led by Cleo Lemon who went 1-15 and 2008 winless Lions would all certainly be contested games against a team like the current Tide. I'm not saying they'd win, but it'd be close.

No it wouldnt be close. A professional bad team will always win against a good college team. The transition from college to NFL should tell the the huge difference between the two. I'd bet my life that the 2008 Lions would beat ANY college team of any year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No it wouldnt be close. A professional bad team will always win against a good college team. The transition from college to NFL should tell the the huge difference between the two. I'd bet my life that the 2008 Lions would beat ANY college team of any year.
A college coach was asked how he would do against an NFL team, and if I recall it was a former NFL head coach. His team was undefeated and his response, "the worst NFL team would beat any college team 100-0. The NFL is so complex and they spend far more time and effort than they allow in college. It wouldn't be close."

And if you think about it, an NFL team takes only the top few players off of a college team and can accumulate them for a few years. College is limited to only having a good player for 3 years. The jump in talent, from even the best college team to the worst NFL team, is still enormous.

CW21NumeroUno

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A college coach was asked how he would do against an NFL team, and if I recall it was a former NFL head coach. His team was undefeated and his response, "the worst NFL team would beat any college team 100-0. The NFL is so complex and they spend far more time and effort than they allow in college. It wouldn't be close."

And if you think about it, an NFL team takes only the top few players off of a college team and can accumulate them for a few years. College is limited to only having a good player for 3 years. The jump in talent, from even the best college team to the worst NFL team, is still enormous.

Exactly. The NFL is a bunch of all pro college players making up 32 teams. It would be ridiculous for anyone to think a college team can beat an NFL team.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
LMAO....CW21....you actually think that a team like the Jags would dominate and destroy a team like Bama? "IF" they could play, I could see that game going either way.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now we can revisit this thread forreal. I'm going to say we lose all three games without Rodgers. They will be close but we don't have enough from the passing game to get us over the hump as teams stack the box against Lacey.

Latest posts