Do you agree with the new OT rules in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackisBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My friends and I have been having a discussion about this. 2 of us believe that overtime was fine the way it was, the other 2 believe the new way is fair.

Without getting into every nuance of this argument, do you feel that OT was fine before, or is better now?

EDIT: For those who don't know, you can't win a game on the first possession of overtime with a field goal.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It depends on whether or not it hurts/helps the Packers haha.

I do understand the rule change, but I am undecided on whether or not I support it. I think I will need to see how it plays out this year, if there are any overtime games.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Anything is better than the Flip and win we had before.

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its a step in the right direction. Would ultimately prefer the OT rules in NCAA and the CFL. Both teams get a shot on equal terms to score.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I think its good, granted it wouldn't have changed the outcome of last year's playoff loss. Plus it puts more emphasis on the greater accomplishment of getting a TD.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Just so all are aware

The team that gets the ball first in overtime can win the game by scoring a touchdown.

If that team gets a field goal, its opponent gets a possession with a chance to tie the score with a field goal or win it with a touchdown.

If that team gets a tying field goal, the game proceeds on a sudden-death basis.

If neither team scores on its first possession of overtime, the game is sudden death from there.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
yeah, a FG win in overtime just is too easy sometimes. One long pass and the game is over.

I be the 4 teams that voted no have great kickers.

Is this gonna be called the "Brett Farve Choke Rule" now?

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Wholeheartedly support it and want it extended to the regular season as well.

Although if I got to choose, I'd go to the college system.

And while I'm on the topic, I'd go to the college replay system as well.

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This format is so much better than the regular season format.

I agree... they should have implemented this change with the regular season too.

This weekends games will be interesting to see (if they get the chance) how coaches handle the new rules. Like they said on "Mike & Mike" on ESPN, no coach is going to want to be the first one to do this.

If they had this rule in the regular season, then the coaches could have gotten used to the new rule and figure how to use it better.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like the fact that it is one way in the regular season and a different way in the playoffs. There should be some consistency. The only thing I would have changed, is I would have taken the coin flip out of the sudden death. Instead of coin flip I would have done something like: Whoever was winning at halftime; First to score in the game; Most offensive yards gained; or some list that would determine who gets the ball first.

Packfan14

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although if I got to choose, I'd go to the college system.

And while I'm on the topic, I'd go to the college replay system as well.

College Overtime sounds like a good idea.
I'm not sure if the NFL wants to have with games going on with 7 OT's for example: the Arkansas/Mississippi game back in 2001
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/V...D=2419&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=183141

I'd stick with the Pro replay system. IMO i dont like having to sit through 30 useless replays just to spot the ball between the 2:00 to go mark and the end of the game.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It depends on whether or not it hurts/helps the Packers haha.

I do understand the rule change, but I am undecided on whether or not I support it. I think I will need to see how it plays out this year, if there are any overtime games.

I just don't feel comfortable with the fact that if you lose a frigging coin toss, you may never get to see the ball. Let's try the new rule.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't feel comfortable with the fact that if you lose a frigging coin toss, you may never get to see the ball. Let's try the new rule.
Right. And it shouldn't be something as simple as a coin toss having a big impact on the outcome of a game.

Team leading in total yards gets the ball first rewards the team for doing better in at least one category, during the game. How you played determines your chances in OT, and not if you can guess heads or tails.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love the new rules in the playoffs. Please extend to regular season if things go smooth.

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Exactly. The new rule may not work perfectly, but at least it's someplace to start. It's better than going into overtime with certain teams knowing that whomever wins the toss you might as well turn off the set, it's over. The only thing that is dumb is they did it *** backwards. Should've tried it during the regular season first instead of test run in playoffs.

Valhalla Express

SKOL VIKINGS!
Reaction score
In semi-pro the league went to a modified Kansas Plan for a season ('97) and it worked out pretty well. Both teams have a possession at the 25-yard line with the wind at their backs. All extra points are 2-point conversions. Very few kickers in the league had a decent foot, so maybe that was a good thing. lol

I hope the NFL adopts a new OT plan for the regular season. Tie ball games are garbage.

~Val

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm gonna go ahead and prove that I'm a lousy, lousy moderator, but I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so excuse me if it's already been dissected.

But these new OT rules have been made specially for the Green Bay Packers.

You see, the key component of this rule is the onside kick. A team receiving the ball that scores a FG doesn't automatically win the game, but a team that recovers an onside kick and kicks a field goad wins the game.

Why it is made for us? 2 reasons:
1) Mason Crosby is the best onside kicker in the game. Really, I believe only one of his onside kicks haven't been recovered.
2) Our D has only allowed 16 TDs all season.

So not only we have a higher chance of recovering an onside kick than any other team, but if it happens that we aren't able to recover it, our D is specialized in keeping opponents out of the endzone, so chances are we are going to get the ball back.

Couple that with some struggles on offense, and with huge struggles both on kickoff coverage and in return, and it's the best strategy to use in OT.

So, if we happens to go to OT, please Mike, choose to kick it, and onside kick it!

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
Bad, bad mod!!! :-( j/k

I love the rule, and as well, would like to see it weeks 1-17

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score

tmlfan3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm gonna go ahead and prove that I'm a lousy, lousy moderator, but I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so excuse me if it's already been dissected.

But these new OT rules have been made specially for the Green Bay Packers.

You see, the key component of this rule is the onside kick. A team receiving the ball that scores a FG doesn't automatically win the game, but a team that recovers an onside kick and kicks a field goad wins the game.

Why it is made for us? 2 reasons:
1) Mason Crosby is the best onside kicker in the game. Really, I believe only one of his onside kicks haven't been recovered.
2) Our D has only allowed 16 TDs all season.

So not only we have a higher chance of recovering an onside kick than any other team, but if it happens that we aren't able to recover it, our D is specialized in keeping opponents out of the endzone, so chances are we are going to get the ball back.

Couple that with some struggles on offense, and with huge struggles both on kickoff coverage and in return, and it's the best strategy to use in OT.

So, if we happens to go to OT, please Mike, choose to kick it, and onside kick it!

Ha exactly what I was going to say. I think that is going to be the true gamechanger in this new rule. I doubt teams are going to do that this year though since the rule is new, but going forward it's the clear progression of the OT strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts