Do the Packers = Religious Experience?

HomerJay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I have no belief in a god or any religion to speak of, a thought occurs to me every time I feel the emotions of watching the Packers play...

Is football a religious experience for me?

The rush of watching Farve throw a bomb to Jennings.......the thrill of watching Harris & Woodson simply do their jobs on every play.....the enjoyment of knowing that every person at Lambeau knows the history of the Pack, the struggles of the last few seasons, and the awesome run we're having this year just like I do....

It all seems like a very potent feeling....moreso than most other emotions I feel during the rest of the week...

But I know it's "just a game" and whether the Pack win or lose it has minor bearing on the rest of my life...except for what I FEEL....

So what do you all think? How does being involved in the week to week goings-on of the best football program in the NFL affect you? Do you akin it to religion in any way? (Especially for those of you who DO have a belief in a god or a religion)

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deff: A religion is a social institution that includes a set of common beliefs and practices generally held by a group of people.

So...sure. Why not?

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I do believe in God! But I have rituals that I do every time I watch the Packers play. From the beginning I took note on where Ed and I sit/stand in our livingroom, I also before every game pray to god to let them win just so Favre can go out with a bang if and when he chooses to retire. I know its strange and Ed laughs at me every Sunday, but it has worked, so why change a good thing right?

When the Packers win, I feel so happy because Favre and the team deserve to win on how they are playing. But when they loose I feel sad, but not to the point where it bothers me the rest of the day. All teams practice really hard and if they are on a good team they will have many great achievements. But you can have one player play well and the others not play so well and that effects the whole team.

All I have to say is we are 8-1 and this has been an exciting year so far, hope it continues.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, in the church that I go to, we do the wave like they do in Lambeau field... When they come around with the collection plates.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not know about a religious experience, but I do remember that the sermons were always pretty fast during late mass when I was a kid and we were always out of church in well under an hour.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I have no belief in a god or any religion to speak of, a thought occurs to me every time I feel the emotions of watching the Packers play...

Is football a religious experience for me?

The rush of watching Farve throw a bomb to Jennings.......the thrill of watching Harris & Woodson simply do their jobs on every play.....the enjoyment of knowing that every person at Lambeau knows the history of the Pack, the struggles of the last few seasons, and the awesome run we're having this year just like I do....

It all seems like a very potent feeling....moreso than most other emotions I feel during the rest of the week...

But I know it's "just a game" and whether the Pack win or lose it has minor bearing on the rest of my life...except for what I FEEL....

So what do you all think? How does being involved in the week to week goings-on of the best football program in the NFL affect you? Do you akin it to religion in any way? (Especially for those of you who DO have a belief in a god or a religion)

From someone who beleives in God..I would say no. But you cant beat the feeling of the Packers getting a win. And you said about it being "just a game" But to me it is a lot more than that. But it doesnt rival religion.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not religious; however, I do have faith in God if that makes sense. I guess I look at religion as the organized part - where people make sure they donate 10% of their income to the church, bake bars every month for the potluck after the service, donate their time so they can teach Sunday school, etc.

Faith is simply a belief in something. I have faith in God and also the Packers so I guess there is a small correlation there.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When ever someone makes a mistake or slips up, I simply remind them that there was only one perfect person ever walked on earth.... Brett Favre.

Members online

Latest posts