Do Packer Forum members/fans want AR to leave?

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Similar to my being more disappointed in the defense this year than the offense I am now officially more disappointed in Rodgers than I am the WRs.
Rodgers, like any quarterback, will always be limited by the talent of his receivers. I can’t say I’m not disappointed in Rodgers, but I’m more disappointed in the receivers, especially after watching Kurt Warner’s breakdown video from the prior week, which was pretty stunning.

Every week, I can’t help but wonder why it seems like Rodgers often has a considerably smaller window in which to throw than every other quarterback that I see play. And nobody ever really questions that.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers, like any quarterback, will always be limited by the talent of his receivers. I can’t say I’m not disappointed in Rodgers, but I’m more disappointed in the receivers, especially after watching Kurt Warner’s breakdown video from the prior week, which was pretty stunning.

Every week, I can’t help but wonder why it seems like Rodgers often has a considerably smaller window in which to throw than every other quarterback that I see play. And nobody ever really questions that.
Yeah I think that even rookie WRs would be showing more consistent promise by now. Cobb is good but he can only do so much, and Watkins looks like he's ready for retirement. I'm glad Watson has finally had two great games, but I want to see that production become more consistent.

It leads me to believe there is a problem with the coaching of the offense. I don't know if it's MLF or the WR position coaches. They certainly need a new DC, but they should look at coaching collectively. I think that, more than anything, has been the biggest problem this year.

And with the talent available, and after the draft and off season moves, this team should be able to come back and compete. First, they need to take a hard and honest look at coaching, and management overall. Although I doubt Murphy would fire himself........

Jim Lite

Cheesehead
Reaction score

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have loved to see him go last year, not sure if given his current contract this is at all possible now.

Who would have thought of all these fans here advocating for frugality when spending on players in the offseason, the most recent contract signed by our "leader" is the one that is gonna push us over the brink for years to come?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It seems like Covid. It just spreads to the whole team like a disease.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's any team out there interested in giving up anything substantial in a trade for Love.
Who said anything about substantial compensation?

I was thinking a 3rd and 5th is decent with possibly a 5th turning into a 4th rounder.

Jim Lite

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AR's focus has become diverse. Now--regardless of the outcome--getting $30,000 per snap, and having taken advantage of his celeb, he no longer need concentrate on football.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was thinking a 3rd and 5th is decent with possibly a 5th turning into a 4th rounder.
I doubt any team would give up those picks for Love. I also wouldn't want GB to give him away for such a pittance of picks. He's worth more as a backup, IMHO.

Reaction score
The only way I want #12 to leave is if his contract goes with him and the Packers get at minimum 2 Day 1’s and a couple of day 2’s or more (such as a couple early Day 3 options)

That alone gives us an option of a top QB in this draft (likely the #2 QB selection in 2023) using both Day 1’s. Then we’d have 3-4 Day 2 selections and a litany of Day 3 comp and natural picks.
Then in 2024 we’d have 2 more Day1 selections, two 2nd rounders and a plethora of comp and natural draft picks from both our trade deal and cleaning house the year prior.

By 2024, We’d have a massive amount of money off our books and we could really go out and sign a couple high profile, veteran types to start our next generation of winning, but without the whining.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like Rodgers to retire a Packer. Maybe that's just me being old fashioned. Has the lack of playoff success over the past 12 years been a big disappointment? Yes. I don't really care about his "shenanigans" as long as he shows up to play. I should probably be more irritated that guys like Adams simply didn't want to play here anymore.

Did you guys hear what LeBron James said? He said we should have used more resources to put a top offense around him. Now, I don't care what LeBron James thinks, and I'm sure what he said was actually self serving. However, I thought it was interesting. We've spent the past decade trying to put together the "Tom Brady" defense behind Rodgers, and for the most part it has been a huge failure. Maybe we should have tried to augment our strengths instead of shoring up our weakness? Maybe we should have drafted for offense with the goal of putting more points on the board?

Maybe that's a dumb idea, but considering we haven't gotten results the other way, I think it's an interesting thought. Anyway, too late now, I guess.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt any team would give up those picks for Love. I also wouldn't want GB to give him away for such a pittance of picks. He's worth more as a backup, IMHO.

That's an expensive price for a backup and honestly Love is a unknown commodity.

I think its best to push him off to another team and get what she can.

A sucker team may make an offer for Love's "potential".

Love has no future in Green Bay.

Reaction score
I would like Rodgers to retire a Packer. Maybe that's just me being old fashioned. Has the lack of playoff success over the past 12 years been a big disappointment? Yes. I don't really care about his "shenanigans" as long as he shows up to play. I should probably be more irritated that guys like Adams simply didn't want to play here anymore.

Did you guys hear what LeBron James said? He said we should have used more resources to put a top offense around him. Now, I don't care what LeBron James thinks, and I'm sure what he said was actually self serving. However, I thought it was interesting. We've spent the past decade trying to put together the "Tom Brady" defense behind Rodgers, and for the most part it has been a huge failure. Maybe we should have tried to augment our strengths instead of shoring up our weakness? Maybe we should have drafted for offense with the goal of putting more points on the board?

Maybe that's a dumb idea, but considering we haven't gotten results the other way, I think it's an interesting thought. Anyway, too late now, I guess.
I agree with surrounding #12 with weapons. However As you said it’s too late now. We’re in Cap purgatory because of Aaron Rodgers. I no longer believe he can carry a team and his best years are behind him.

As far as being old fashioned. With all due respect, Old fashioned is not known for capitulating and compromising due to short term fears. Old fashioned stands for doing what is right in the name of convictions and high moral standard. Old fashioned is just the opposite, old fashioned would’ve never let this get to this point.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's an expensive price for a backup and honestly Love is a unknown commodity.

I think its best to push him off to another team and get what she can.

A sucker team may make an offer for Love's "potential".

Love has no future in Green Bay.
I think it’s unwise to draft a pick this high and then give up on him before letting him play. That just doesn’t make sense at all.

If GB moves on from Love right now before seeing him play? it will have more to do with Rodgers commitment status

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
I think it’s unwise to draft a pick this high and then give up on him before letting him play. That just doesn’t make sense at all.

If GB moves on from Love right now before seeing him play? it will have more to do with Rodgers commitment status

Exactly. As I said all along. They kept him this year because he showed something to them this past offseason

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We'll see.

The organization has been lookong at Love for 3 years now. They havean understanding of what he can or cannot do.

Whether they pick up his 5th year option or not will be a great indicator of their assessment.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I am not saying the WRs are playing better than Rodgers, what I am saying is from what I expected from this sub par WR group has actually been less disappointing than what I expected from a 2 time MVP.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Kind of reminds you of what they would have done with Rodgers if Favre had not announced he was going to hang them up in 2008.

D

Deleted member 6794

How can we use Savage next season? Continue to try him in the slot? Could HE be a punt or kick returner?

Maybe a different defensive coordinator can figure out a way for Savage to improve his play. Gutekunst picking up his fifth year option seems like a stupid move at this point though.

Maybe the biggest hurdle is MLF. His play calling is predictable and he seems to have lost the team. He looks lost on the sidelines. He has to grow up a little, or grow into the job. The first three seasons were easy. That happens when the QB is MVP twice. That's unusual and MLF probably has one season to fix this. Joe Barry is done.

I honestly don't believe MLF has lost the team. It might be a different story with Barry on defense though.

The problem is that I don't see a lot of reasons why such a talented team on paper is performing so dismally.

The Packers aren't that talented on offense on paper either.

I highly doubt another team would be interested in giving up that much in a trade for Love.

That alone gives us an option of a top QB in this draft (likely the #2 QB selection in 2023) using both Day 1’s. Then we’d have 3-4 Day 2 selections and a litany of Day 3 comp and natural picks.
Then in 2024 we’d have 2 more Day1 selections, two 2nd rounders and a plethora of comp and natural draft picks from both our trade deal and cleaning house the year prior.

Just out of curiosity, where do we get these compensatory picks from you're talking about?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree at this point...my thoughts was at best you're getting is two early day 3 picks with maybe one having the chance to upgrade to a 3rd - to me that is his top shelf value...

They get Love - we get two 5ths (one can become a 4th) or a 4th and a 5th with the 5th possible becoming a 4th <- those are probably more likely than even sniffing a 3rd as I said above honestly.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard for me to say honestly. I certainly wouldn't say that I "want" Rodgers out. He's one of my favorite players ever and for my money the most talented player I've ever seen play the position. By and large I think many fans are going to be in for a very rude awakening when he's gone and not able to paper over some of the cracks. I'm also absolutely confident that he's not "washed up" or "past it" or whatnot. If you dropped Rodgers off in Miami or Cincinnati or KC or Buffalo and he had their passcatchers to work with I'm quite certain he'd be looking much better than he has this season, busted thumb or not.

But, that said, of course hindsight is 20-20 but it does feel more and more like perhaps the smart move would've been to trade him in the offseason and get loaded up for the future. Using the Russell Wilson trade more or less as a benchmark - Seattle got two firsts, two seconds, and a fifth PLUS Drew Lock, Noah Fant, and Shelby Harris in exchange for Russ and a 4th.

Fant this season has 30 rec for 306 yards (10.2 y/r) and 1 TD. Tonyan has 41 rec for 342 yards (8.3 y/r) and 1 TD. Fant is 25 and has a cap hit of ~2.2m this year and ~6.9m next year. Tonyan is 28 with a cap hit of 2.5m this year and I believe is out of contract after that. Shelby Harris has appeared in 9 games this season with 2 sacks and 14 solo tackles; Wyatt has appeared in 10 games with 0 sacks and 4 solo tackles. Now obviously Wyatt is a pick for the future, but getting a player like Harris in trade means perhaps you don't feel the need to spend a 1st round pick on Wyatt immediately, either. That can be invested elsewhere or rolled into further assets as needed. Drew Lock kinda stinks, but for whatever it's worth he *does* have a higher QBR/passer rating for his career than Love does. Of course Love has hardly played so that's not entirely fair, but still.

And I think the trade for Russell Wilson is probably the bare minimum we'd have gotten in a Rodgers deal; we're probably looking at all that and then some. Hypothetically speaking, you get a decent option at TE, the flexibility to not need to draft DT, and if nothing else you get a year to evaluate Love to determine if he's your guy or not. If you like what you see, you load up around him and go for it. If he's not, you have the assets to move around in the draft as needed to get one of the top prospects. Maybe we keep Davante; if he wants to leave then we're all the more loaded up with at minimum four first round picks in the next couple of drafts.

And none of that is to say anything against Rodgers whatsoever. But I do think it's looking more and more like we are more than one "piece" away from being a contender and perhaps there is some logic to the notion that the whole roster could use a bit of a re-tool from top to bottom.

In whatever case it's all more or less moot at this point. I've said it a dozen times before but the trouble is not so much that we chose to draft Love or that we chose to extend Rodgers but rather that Gute and co seem to have absolutely no conviction whatsoever in their decisions and seem to have such a crippling fear of making a "mistake" that they refuse to commit to a direction/objective/plan/etc and see it through to completion. Either move on from Rodgers, or don't. Either commit to Love, or don't. I'm sure I'm sounding like a broken record at this point but it really feels like in trying to contend in the present while preparing for the future they're going to end up failing at both.

If we went all-in on Rodgers to win-now and had to struggle through a few lean years in the post-Rodgers era, I could forgive that. If we went all-in on building for the future around Love (or just a post-Rodgers team in general) and had to struggle a bit in the present, I could forgive that. But it feels like we're simply unwilling to commit to either. Can't go all-in on the present because they're afraid of struggling in the future and can't commit to building for the future because they're afraid of struggling in the present. And that sort of noncommittal, non-courageous leadership isn't really leadership at all TBH.

Reaction score
I agree at this point...my thoughts was at best you're getting is two early day 3 picks with maybe one having the chance to upgrade to a 3rd - to me that is his top shelf value...

They get Love - we get two 5ths (one can become a 4th) or a 4th and a 5th with the 5th possible becoming a 4th <- those are probably more likely than even sniffing a 3rd as I said above honestly.
That's all fine and dandy depending on which direction we go. Really anyone's guess to his value at this point. I still think I'd rather keep him as a backup for that little of compensation. We can get that type of compensation (or more) by just trading back 2 spots early on in the draft.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's all fine and dandy depending on which direction we go. Really anyone's guess to his value at this point. I still think I'd rather keep him as a backup for that little of compensation. We can get that type of compensation (or more) by just trading back 2 spots early on in the draft.

The ONLY reason to trade Love is if Rodgers makes it clear I'm here beyond even 2023. I don't know if that is something he can commit to honestly....I think more and more likely has become if Love doesn't play this year a decent amount and we don't see him in live action...no 5th year option is going to occur...Rodgers plays 2023, Love is a FA after it and we are stuck in this limbo area waiting on Rodgers to decide...hope Love waits to make a decision till Rodgers makes a decision and meanwhile our scouts have to prepare ******* QB prospects because we literally could be entering the 2024 draft with no QBs on roster or both or one.

Honestly, I also envision sour grapes start should we lose to Eagles between Rodgers and Gute/Organization.....Rodgers is obviously the best chance to win any week presently, BUT it would be ignorant to not get Love some time when the season is lost....however a BIG factor is how much discussion of future between Rodgers and Gute/MLF has there been before the extension was signed, during the season so far and such???? No one but that very small crowd knows.