Didn't Clay Matthews lose weight coming into this season?

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I'm incorrect but I thought I remember hearing he lost 20 pounds or so going into the 2011 season. If that's true, methinks he should start stuffing himself and pack those 20 pounds back on, because he certainly seemed like a different pass rusher this year. Even one-on-one he often appeared to be pushed around like a little sissy.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's tough to get to the QB with constant double teams because your ****** teammates on the other side and the D-line can;t beat a 1 on 1 matchup ever.

OP
OP
Brandon

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But he was much better defending the run, and that typically goes along with putting on some weight. So, who knows?

We have plenty of guys who are good against the run like AJ Hawk and Desmond Bishop, I want Matthews to be the QB hunter like he was during our SB run. I realize he was double teamed quite a lot this year but I do recall him being capable of managing that last year. But like I said, even against single blocking he just didn't seem to have the muscle or speed-technique to dominate.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have plenty of guys who are good against the run like AJ Hawk and Desmond Bishop, I want Matthews to be the QB hunter like he was during our SB run. I realize he was double teamed quite a lot this year but I do recall him being capable of managing that last year. But like I said, even against single blocking he just didn't seem to have the muscle or speed-technique to dominate.

What I meant was that I don't think you can simply look at his weight as the sole reason for his improvement or decline in any specific aspect of his game.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I'm incorrect but I thought I remember hearing he lost 20 pounds or so going into the 2011 season. If that's true, methinks he should start stuffing himself and pack those 20 pounds back on, because he certainly seemed like a different pass rusher this year. Even one-on-one he often appeared to be pushed around like a little sissy.
I think you lack perspective if you are comparing Matthews to a sissy.

I never saw him pushed around, but he was double and triple teamed a lot.

He was moved to the right side, I believe this is for several reasons. He will go up against less skilled OTs; the QB will be able to see him coming and perhaps rush his pass; and - I can't recall the 3rd. I will edit when I remember. Anyhow, Claymaker had one of the highest rates of QB pressure in the NFL last season. I suppose that makes sense that QBs are able to see him coming and dump off before they get sacked. Had he been coming from the blind side, many of them knockdowns could have been sacks.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Anyone will look like sissy when they are being double teamed by two 300lbs offensive lineman and chipped by 250lbs tight ends. Nobody respects anybody on our defense besides Matthews and Woodson and it shows in his sack numbers. Weight has nothing to do with it. Matthews has always been more of a finesse pass rusher anyway

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Capers Schemed him more than just a pure pass rusher. If you watched Clay was around or in just about every play that happened around the line. He never stops and never gives up on a play. Other than playing with nagging injuries all year there was nothing wrong with his play. Just needs help.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I made a previous post on this but I think his perceived decline has a little to do with over-training and irrelevant training. That's my theory. He is still a top tier linebacker.

Members online

Latest posts