1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Didn't Clay Matthews lose weight coming into this season?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Brandon, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Brandon

Brandon Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +119
    Maybe I'm incorrect but I thought I remember hearing he lost 20 pounds or so going into the 2011 season. If that's true, methinks he should start stuffing himself and pack those 20 pounds back on, because he certainly seemed like a different pass rusher this year. Even one-on-one he often appeared to be pushed around like a little sissy.

2. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,071
    It's tough to get to the QB with constant double teams because your ****** teammates on the other side and the D-line can;t beat a 1 on 1 matchup ever.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    But he was much better defending the run, and that typically goes along with putting on some weight. So, who knows?

4. Brandon

Brandon Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +119
    We have plenty of guys who are good against the run like AJ Hawk and Desmond Bishop, I want Matthews to be the QB hunter like he was during our SB run. I realize he was double teamed quite a lot this year but I do recall him being capable of managing that last year. But like I said, even against single blocking he just didn't seem to have the muscle or speed-technique to dominate.

5. Dan115

Dan115 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The loss of # 77 hurt Matthews pass rush also.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    What I meant was that I don't think you can simply look at his weight as the sole reason for his improvement or decline in any specific aspect of his game.

7. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,226
    I think you lack perspective if you are comparing Matthews to a sissy.

I never saw him pushed around, but he was double and triple teamed a lot.

He was moved to the right side, I believe this is for several reasons. He will go up against less skilled OTs; the QB will be able to see him coming and perhaps rush his pass; and - I can't recall the 3rd. I will edit when I remember. Anyhow, Claymaker had one of the highest rates of QB pressure in the NFL last season. I suppose that makes sense that QBs are able to see him coming and dump off before they get sacked. Had he been coming from the blind side, many of them knockdowns could have been sacks.

8. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    Anyone will look like sissy when they are being double teamed by two 300lbs offensive lineman and chipped by 250lbs tight ends. Nobody respects anybody on our defense besides Matthews and Woodson and it shows in his sack numbers. Weight has nothing to do with it. Matthews has always been more of a finesse pass rusher anyway

9. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Capers Schemed him more than just a pure pass rusher. If you watched Clay was around or in just about every play that happened around the line. He never stops and never gives up on a play. Other than playing with nagging injuries all year there was nothing wrong with his play. Just needs help.

10. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Exactly. There was no one that consumed those double teams on the DL. If only the rest of the defense had played with as much heart as Matthews.

11. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +186
    I made a previous post on this but I think his perceived decline has a little to do with over-training and irrelevant training. That's my theory. He is still a top tier linebacker.