Did the Pack handle the Harris situation professionally?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IIRC, Driver signed a 2 year extension, so I imagine he'll retire at the end of that.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IIRC, Driver signed a 2 year extension, so I imagine he'll retire at the end of that.

That would have nothing to do with them cutting him. I think he might be safe as long as Nelson doesnt push him, in that case he is gone.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I believe they had a very tough decision to make, I believe they were leaning in the direction of him coming back, watching him in practice and of course studying with the expectation of bringing him back. But they were going to take all the time they had to make that decision. I think the play of the other DBs in the Dallas game helped them make this decision. Nobody here knows how he looked in practice the last three weeks.
We all knew this day would come and Al should have too. BTW we will part ways with Donald Lee too right? Solid player and stand up person, it sucks, but that's the NFL, gotta field the best team right now with an eye to the future.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I believe they had a very tough decision to make, I believe they were leaning in the direction of him coming back, watching him in practice and of course studying with the expectation of bringing him back. But they were going to take all the time they had to make that decision. I think the play of the other DBs in the Dallas game helped them make this decision. Nobody here knows how he looked in practice the last three weeks.
We all knew this day would come and Al should have too. BTW we will part ways with Donald Lee too right? Solid player and stand up person, it sucks, but that's the NFL, gotta field the best team right now with an eye to the future.

I agree,.I'm slowly starting to step aside and see it as it is..business,.. and also agree that it sucks, but thats the nature of the beast so to speak..

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this going to happen again next season with Driver?

I wouldn't at all be surprised... If he doesn't pick it up and start performing.

I understand these guys mean a lot to us, but this is a business and we've got to have our best 11 on the field. Simple as that. Time marches on.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
The PR surrounding a Driver/Packer separation would be ridiculously sensitive. I do not want this situation to come to that. It would be a horrible distraction.

I think Driver may become an icon for the Packers after he retires, maybe work in their PR department. But onto the subject with Al.

He was a tough loss, but its the nature of the game. The thing with Harris is he kept trying to make himself good enough to play again, I won't forget the videos of his training, and he was doing everything he could to bring himself up from the injuries. This is what happens when you believe you are irreplaceable; I don't think it was an easy decision, and I am sure as hell glad I don't have that decision to make. The Packers did it pretty well with Harris, though its tragic he couldn't play at least one more game as a Packer.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I know it's sad, I said in another post, the worst part of being a fan is the bittersweet loss of a long time player, but it happens in every single job in the real world. NFL players are no exception. I'd have LOVED to have Al Harris's career, needless to say I wasn't blessed with his physical talents.
That's how it works, one guy is business savy, another guy is science genius, another guy is an NFL athlete.
NFL players work in a job where they get recognition, alot of perks, but they are no more important to the world than an engineer who figures out how to turn a small amount of electricity into a mass of information or an architect who figures the stress factors of building codes to make the Stadium sturdy.
The guy who can't attend games because he has 5 children isn't even in our thinking, but they should be, he buys a jersey, he watches the game and makes the Packers a strong TV draw.
We all do our part and it's why I think the NFL stands for the National Fan League. The best sports in the world.
Go NFL, Go Packer football, it doesn't get any better than this does it?

Staff online

Latest posts