Did James Jones and Jermichael Finley Go Unappreciated By Us Fans?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think so. I know Jermichael always got knocked by other fans for his butterfinger syndrome, but there's just no denying what he brought to the table in terms of matchup nightmares that has gone missing and that we aren't getting out of Quarless. I would have to agree with the TMJ crew that it seems odd we aren't looking more at Brandon Bostick in the lineup as a bigger maybe faster target for Rodgers to throw to.

I think another thing, and they also brought it up on TMJ, James Jones was a much bigger asset to this offense than we realize. The guy made ridiculous catches for us, and I think it's gone underappreciated by us fans who don't realize how big his absence is.

I think one thing I've even fell prey to is the belief that WRs are interchangeable parts that just get easily replaced by the next man up, and right now that just doesn't seem to be the case. McCarthy's O has long been an O that has thrived off of every WR winning matchups out there, you could never focus in on just a Donald Driver or Greg Jennings to cover on the field, because you then had to worry about James Jones or Randall Cobb, WRs who Rodgers often said would be number 1s and 2s on any other team, and I believe he was right.

I think the reason our O has been struggling like it has has been a lack of those 3rd and 4th guys on the field living up to that standards. The guys brought it up that guys like Boykin and Adams are not getting separation out there, and Rodgers seems locked on Nelson.

It's possible teams have decided to upgrade their defenses to using 6 or 7 DBs that all come in to play tight, or are athletically gifted for such things as preventing the 3rd and 4th guy from beating them, but at the same time I just feel our WRs in general are a problem. I don't know if we need to fix the routes or figure out some wrinkles in throwing them the ball, but something does need to get fixed.

I do feel we need to get our TE game in order and do something to maximize it to give Rodgers his own Jimmy Graham.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. They were both under-appreciated by a lot of overly-critical fans.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. They were both under-appreciated by a lot of overly-critical fans.
It's all about the trenches. The "O" line and "D" line 1st round draft choices have become exposed. Please--No injury discussion. Bottom line Sherrod, Bulaga, Jones and Perry all would have a hard time starting on another team. And TT will not admit defeat on any of his draft choices. Maybe after their 1st contract.

Defense played well today. The offense was marginal based on the Detroit front four. No running game, lots of pressure.

GB fans seemingly always complain about injuries. Outside of the Detroit "D" line, they were playing as if it was pre-season with LB's and the secondary--mostly just bodies.

0-2 in the NFC. Not good.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all about the trenches. The "O" line and "D" line 1st round draft choices have become exposed. Please--No injury discussion. Bottom line Sherrod, Bulaga, Jones and Perry all would have a hard time starting on another team. And TT will not admit defeat on any of his draft choices. Maybe after their 1st contract.

Defense played well today. The offense was marginal based on the Detroit front four. No running game, lots of pressure.

GB fans seemingly always complain about injuries. Outside of the Detroit "D" line, they were playing as if it was pre-season with LB's and the secondary--mostly just bodies.

0-2 in the NFC. Not good.
What does any of this have to do with Jones and Finley?

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There may be a point to the battle in the trenches, and I do think we need to get better there, but that doesn't negate our current problems of either 3rd and 4th guys out there not running routes right, or just not having the quickness to get separation. To the point of what Draft Hobbyist just said, the reason Jones created those plays was his excellent route running skills out there. I'm not sure if Cobb isn't better better off playing in the interior slot, or Boykin for that matter. I don't think our far side wideouts outside of Nelson are winning their battles out there, something Jones knew how to do. Maybe Jeff Janis could do that though? I'm wondering about this.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga would start easily for almost any team in the NFL. He played today and the Packers only gave up 2 sacks, which I think Rodgers is partially to blame on those, too.
Easily--Really? How many games has he started for GB noting the number of games he should have been in the lineup based on his tenure in the league. He was a reach in the 1st round given his health at Iowa.

Rodgers, as always was running for his life on anything that required multiple looks. The ball needed to be out quickly most of the time.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The loss has nothing to do with the lack of Finley and Jones. Game was lost in the trenches.
This topic was SPECIFICALLY started about Finley and Jones. It wasn't about this game. Instead of discussing the topic at hand, you are now hijacking it when there are already 2 or 3 other topics on the Lions game.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There may be a point to the battle in the trenches, and I do think we need to get better there, but that doesn't negate our current problems of either 3rd and 4th guys out there not running routes right, or just not having the quickness to get separation. To the point of what Draft Hobbyist just said, the reason Jones created those plays was his excellent route running skills out there. I'm not sure if Cobb isn't better better off playing in the interior slot, or Boykin for that matter. I don't think our far side wideouts outside of Nelson are winning their battles out there, something Jones knew how to do. Maybe Jeff Janis could do that though? I'm wondering about this.
Rodgers has very little time to look at 3rd or 4th options. He goes to Jordy because he knows he will make plays. I thought Quarless played a good game. Great catch on the TD.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The loss has nothing to do with the lack of Finley and Jones. Game was lost in the trenches.

You are partially incorrect about that. Right now, we are lacking in explosive playmaking outside of Nelson, or if nothing else in creating difficult matchups out there that we've been used to seeing, such that Finley and Jones created, and such that the Lions had trouble defending in the past. Our current receivers playing in their spots are not winning matchups against the Lions 3rd and 4th corners or DeAndre Levy.

Again, this was brought up on the post game radio show. The guys were saying Rodgers can't constantly have to throw it into 3 inch windows because of this in order to get the ball moving. The O-line is not a lone problem when guys aren't getting open, those two things work hand in hand.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This topic was SPECIFICALLY started about Finley and Jones. It wasn't about this game. Instead of discussing the topic at hand, you are now hijacking it when there are already 2 or 3 other topics on the Lions game.
Have another beer. Finley and Jones absence or presence had nothing to do with the outcome of the game nor will it in the future.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I feel like given time adams will become a solid receiver. I say solid at this point cause he's really only had one good game thus far. I think nelson, adams, cobb will be a good receiving corps. , it might just take some time.

I feel like there were plenty of games where jones and finley were no where to be found like todays receivers (minus nelson)

That said I miss jones, I thought he was solid and relatively inexpensive... I mean he led the league in receiving td's one year

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like given time adams will become a solid receiver. I say solid at this point cause he's really only had one good game thus far. I think nelson, adams, cobb will be a good receiving corps. , it might just take some time.

I feel like there were plenty of games where jones and finley were no where to be found like todays receivers (minus nelson)

That said I miss jones, I thought he was solid and relatively inexpensive... I mean he led the league in receiving td's one year
Jones is off to a good year this year. You'll have to talk to TT. He loves to have one of the youngest team in the league. In most cases two contracts and you're done.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have another beer. Finley and Jones absence or presence had nothing to do with the outcome of the game nor will it in the future.
I don't drink, thank you. This thread was not about whether Finley or Jones absence had anything to do with this game. It was about them being under-appreciated.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is 100 percent on MM. Finley and JJ are really good players but that is not the point. This man somehow can no longer exploit a defense. The packers never have wide open receivers....they have guys making sick catches like jordy who are completely covered. This offense game plan is awful. You have elite wr's that can not get open against average to poor db's. Something is wrong with your gameplan right there.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Jones is off to a good year this year. You'll have to talk to TT. He loves to have one of the youngest team in the league. In most cases two contracts and you're done.

Ya I've been paying attention to his stat line. He's been doing this with derek carr as his qb....with rodgers you gotta think his stats would be even better. Worth noting he had no real production today however

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said all last year that we should re-sign Jones. But we had no interest in doing so. I think he signed for three years with the Raiders, and he just turned 30, so a similar contact would have only run until he was 32. Plenty of production left in the tank.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Nah... I don't think so.

Jones played his guts out and was a class act. Glad he got his ring with the Pack.

Finley was always hurt. Tons of unfulfilled potential. Finley is, or at least was, a good "community guy" and from that standpoint, he was under appreciated.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think thats a good point... we have lost so much talent at the wr and te position in the last couple of years that perhaps it's too much after losing Finley and Jones on one off season.

I also think the fact that the run game hasn't been the strength we all assumed it would be isn't helping either.

Gosh I thought these guys would be really good this year... and they're just not. They play with virtually no confidence and enthusiasm... like they know they're not that good. I hold they can turn things around somehow.

PackManDan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley was not under-appreciated in my opinion. I don't miss him. He ran his mouth too much, talked too much crap and then couldn't back it up in a lot of games with dropping passes or getting injured and I really don't care for a player that loves seeing himself talk on social media. That isn't the Packers style.

I do miss Jones. The thing that was so frustrating about him was that he would make these insanely difficult catches but then would turn around and drop an easy one for a crucial first down. He seemed to do this a lot. Drop quite a few passes and a lot of them were easy ones. This is what bugged me about him. But I do miss him.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is 100 percent on MM. Finley and JJ are really good players but that is not the point. This man somehow can no longer exploit a defense. The packers never have wide open receivers....they have guys making sick catches like jordy who are completely covered. This offense game plan is awful. You have elite wr's that can not get open against average to poor db's. Something is wrong with your gameplan right there.

I hardly think our WRs behind Jordy and Randall are elite.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. Jones and Finley - based on actual production and results alone- are one hell of a lot better than what's replaced them.
What's the over/under on what week Finley's phone rings with a call from Green Bay?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not so much jones, its about having guys in the system that Rodgers trusts and know the routes. Rookie WRs are rarely great. This offense is 2 years away from being what it was at its peak.

Finley was overrated by fans. He was more hype than he was results. Jones might have been a tad unappreciated

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley wasn't overhyped. He was inconsistent, largely due to an unfortunate run of injuries. His 2011 season was overall the most productive of any TE in Packer history.

Members online

Latest posts