Did Favre cross the line?

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to ESPNs Steven A. Smith, Brett Favre was too vocal regarding Javon Walker's hold out. Philadelphia QB Donovan McNabb agreed. Smith says "Favre should mind his own business."

This is crap. Favre is the leader of his team. As such, he is expected to be vocal on game day, in the locker room, in practice, in the weight room, during the off season, during the preseason, during the season, during the post season, in the media room, on the telephone, on the cell phone (I think you get where I'm going here).

His job is to keep his team together as one. He is the leader. Everybody working toward a common goal. And I assure you that the common goal is not to see just how much money Javon Walker can make.

Just my $0.02.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this has been discussed before, but the general concensus is that Steven A is a doofus, and that Favre had every right to say what he said since he has established credibility in the NFL, and he is the leader of the team.

OP
OP
P

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure it was discussed a few months back when the comments were made. But I just saw on Steven A.'s new show (which is a flop in the ratings by the way) that he and McNabb rehashed the issues and thus was rehashing it with my own opinion.

McNabb (or as he is affectionately known as McRibb in Carolina for the fact that he is rather large and more importantly that he complained about his ribs hurting after playing Carolina in the NFCC 2 years ago) has NO place speaking out on the rights and wrongs of another NFL player. That is breaking the code!

In this case, it wasn't even a teammate. He's calling out someone on another team. WTF? That's crossing the line.

Oh, and for what it's worth (not much), Steven A. is a doofus. He is the most ignorant sports writer in the country. Biased journalism. Opinionated on everything, big or small. He needs to stick with the NBA where (if he actually belongs anywhere) he belongs.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and the scrutiny that accompanies that opinion. Brett has every right to say whatever he wishes, but everyone has the same right to criticize him.

In this case I think that both sides have a fair argument.

Brett is another player and he doesn't manage the team's finances or player decisions. So his opinion on Walker's holdout shouldn't matter and Brett should keep it to himself. He's not a part of the negotiating with Walker, it's a personal business matter betweenn Walker and the organization.

On the other hand, Brett is the obvious leader of this team. Walker's fate directly affects Favre giving him a great WR to finish his career with. It would have strong meaning to the organization if Brett said that GB should renegotiate with Walker, so the same weight should be given to Brett telling TT to hold tight.

Smith is a doofus, but that doesn't excuse Brett from the fact that he butted into Walker's personal business. I'm not concerned about what fans or analysts think about the situation, but I am concerned about how Walker feels. He said that he holds no grudge with Favre, and that's all that matters.

OP
OP
P

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed that Favre and Walker's on field relationship is all that matters. They don't even have to like each other when the day is done.

After reading your post, I see your point regarding Favre and staying out of the contract negotiations. But, I don't think Favre was speaking of Walker's contract negotiations as much as he was speaking of his hold out.

Walker is free to renegotiate his contract if he feels he's under paid. Just as the team is free to ask him to restructure his contract or be cut if he is over paid. However, in Brett's case, I believe he was simply advising Walker to negotitate while being in camp and on the field. Let his agent handle those neotitations while he packs his lunch and brings his pale to work.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hold-out is part of renegotiating...

pantherd said:
But, I don't think Favre was speaking of Walker's contract negotiations as much as he was speaking of his hold out.

Walker is free to renegotiate his contract if he feels he's under paid. Just as the team is free to ask him to restructure his contract or be cut if he is over paid. However, in Brett's case, I believe he was simply advising Walker to negotitate while being in camp and on the field. Let his agent handle those neotitations while he packs his lunch and brings his pale to work.

I merely view the hold-out as part of the negotiating process -- if you don't agree to pay me more, I won't play. Any player is free to negotiate a better deal, and they have the right to hold-out as part of that negotiating process. But the player is also subject to the consequences that go along with such actions.

Therefore when Favre commented on Walker's hold-out, he in essence commented on his negotiating tactics.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps McNabb, needing an **** fixation fulfilled, is inserting his foot in the space previously occupied by Chunky Soup.

Listen, "Mr. Vomit under pressure during the biggest game of your life"...worry about your own troubled team and your own major shortcomings during the biggest moments of your heretofore overrated career.

Favre, IMHO, handled a delicate team situation in a very forthright and honest manner, and is one of the few players in the league that can do so. You, Donovan, are not one of those guys....let alone chattering on about another team's situation.

OP
OP
P

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that isn't fair...

"of your heretofore overrated career."

One must be rated higher than they should by definition of "overrated."

I have argued this on the Panthers forum in years past. McRibb is not overrated. I believe whole heartedly that the vast majority see him as a very average QB, which he is. He happens to be surrounded by some of the better talent in the league. That's not overrated, rather it's lucky.

Ron Mexico, er Michael Vick, now he's overrated. Probably underrated as a running back (could be the best in the league), but definitely overrated as a QB.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know pantherd, between them, Donovan McRibb, Ron Mexico, Peyton Place and Daunte Cucumber are the next best thing since sliced bread.

Cucumber....I mean, the national media is just short of creamin' their jeans over this guy. Great stats, melts like butter in the sun when the pressure is on. Leads the ViQueens team in the race for "most psycholocically fragile"...which is saying a lot. Give the guy a lead and he can play....looks like **** everty time the pressure is on.

Vick....when he can learn to pass the ball with consistency he can enter into this dialogue. Until then, he is a very exciting special team's player.

Manning...can't win unless EVERYTHING is perfect...never shows in the big games. Terribly overrated!

McRibb....surrounded by good talent and great coaches...slightly above average looking at the whole.

And yet, a guy like Tom Brady is grudgingly given credit for all that he has accomplished by many in the media...you know the arguements...."system player", etc. Well, who ISN'T a system player in the league.

It is funny to watch, though!

OP
OP
P

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My take on the aforementioned:

McRibb - not overrated, not underrated. Most see him as quite average. In line with what he really is. A few may have him a little overrated, but mostly just average to slightly above average.

Mexico - well overrated. Theismann licks the guys sweaty jock after games and practices trying to taste the thrill of VICKtory all over again.

P's Place - not overrated, not underrated. With any symbolance of a defense, Indy could have won atleast once in the past three seasons. Put Peyton in McRibb's shoes and he'd have a couple if not three or more rings by now.

Cucumber - overrated. Definitely a great pick up for your fantasy league as he has some gaudy numbers. But all in all, it comes down to wins and losses in the reality league. Cuke chokes the big one.

Brady - underrated. Just starting to get a few props nationally after sporting three fat rings. The anti-Cuke. Numbers that aren't staggering but gets it done when called upon. "System player?" Yeah, players from every other team in the league wished they had played in that system the last 4 seasons. "Team player" is what I'd call him.

Two more for argument:

Delhomme - underrated. But he likes it that way. Ignore him and let him do his thing. He doesn't seek the limelight. We beat Philly 14-3 in the NFCC and he had a measly 14 pass attempts completing 11 of them. 11 of those came in the first half and John Fox said at halftime "we're throwing too much." Then followed with a stunning performance in the SB when NE schemed for and effectively shut down our running game. They weren't expecting what Delhomme threw at them, pun intended.

Favre - not overrated, not underrated. Everyone knows he was the best in the league during his peak. And that was with Elway, Marino, Aikman, Young, etc in the league. He still ranks among the best. Favre is a consitent 30 TD 4,000 yard guy. For most, that's a great year (see Delhomme last season), but for Favre that is the expectation regardless of who is in at wideout. He made Antonio Freeman look awfully tempting to the rest of the league only for Miami to find out that it was Favre being Favre and not Freeman's ability.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that anyone here with sense will agree that steven A. Smith is just an idiot, who doesn't know crap about what the heck he is takling about.

Unbilleveable

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did he have to make it public though? Just tell him he needed to be in camp over the phone or something.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pantherd said:
According to ESPNs Steven A. Smith, Brett Favre was too vocal regarding Javon Walker's hold out. Philadelphia QB Donovan McNabb agreed. Smith says "Favre should mind his own business."

This is crap. Favre is the leader of his team. As such, he is expected to be vocal on game day, in the locker room, in practice, in the weight room, during the off season, during the preseason, during the season, during the post season, in the media room, on the telephone, on the cell phone (I think you get where I'm going here).

His job is to keep his team together as one. He is the leader. Everybody working toward a common goal. And I assure you that the common goal is not to see just how much money Javon Walker can make.

Just my $0.02.

Why dosent McNabb mind his own business?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:

How can one person who sticks their nose in someone else's business by saying another should not do the same as they are doing have a FAIR argument?

Brett spoke out against management not getting Bubba's deal done and then you have a slapnuts one year breakout guy who was paid millions for his POTENTIAL threaten to hold out.

C'mon as a leader YOU HAVE to say something. Thats like seeing a robery take place and not calling the cops.

So many people in this society are afraid to speak their mind its pathetic.

I think McNabb is a hypocrite but I respect him for having the SACK to say something. Just as I do Brett, however with Brett I agree with what he said.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
Smith is a doofus, but that doesn't excuse Brett from the fact that he butted into Walker's personal business.

Walker's business stopped being personal and started being public the moment he started shooting his mouth off to the press.

If you look at the recent events surrounding the new deal for Duante Culpepper, one could infer he threatened a holdout, but never took it public. He kept his contract dispute between himself and the Queens organization. Please see the article "DID 'PEP'S NEW PAYDAY AVOID A PROBLEM?" posted 8 August at http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm for further details.

Once you start holding press conferences to 'splain your point of view (as did Walker), you open yourself up to both criticism and praise from anyone, be that Bret Favre, your teammates or the public at large.

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A guy on ESPN Radio was saying McNabb should concentrate more on winning a Super Bowl, (Something Favre has done), instead of on what Favre has said.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
pantherd said:

Just my $0.02.

Why dosent McNabb mind his own business?

Exactly. Mcnabb should have said no comment, or something to the effect. He had no business adding his opinion to the matter and essentially is the pot calling the kettle black. None of your business, Donovan. ****.
Favre was NOT out of line talking about Javon and he's not out of line talking about Bubba. Favre is a leader on this team and has earned the right to say pretty much anything he wants when it comes to the GBP.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if Favre crossed the line but I know that Majkowski did. :D

After further review I say that McNabb and Manning are pretty much rated where they should be.
Culpepper is overrated until he proves that he is no chocker.
Brady is harder to figure out due to the Patriots being so well balanced.
Vick is the most over rated QB that I have ever seen. Just today on ESPN he claimed that he was the best QB in the league. There is a difference between confidence and egotistical bulls**t. Let me know when Vick has even one great season. He has never thrown for more than 16 TD's and 2,936 yards in a season. His completion % for his carrier is 53.6 and he has 26 INT

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Vick is the most over rated QB that I have ever seen. Just today on ESPN he claimed that he was the best QB in the league. There is a difference between confidence and egotistical bulls**t. Let me know when Vick has even one great season. He has never thrown for more than 16 TD's and 2,936 yards in a season. His completion % for his carrier is 53.6 and he has 26 INT

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
Bobby Roberts said:

How can one person who sticks their nose in someone else's business by saying another should not do the same as they are doing have a FAIR argument?

Brett spoke out against management not getting Bubba's deal done and then you have a slapnuts one year breakout guy who was paid millions for his POTENTIAL threaten to hold out.

C'mon as a leader YOU HAVE to say something. Thats like seeing a robery take place and not calling the cops.

So many people in this society are afraid to speak their mind its pathetic.

I think McNabb is a hypocrite but I respect him for having the SACK to say something. Just as I do Brett, however with Brett I agree with what he said.

I you read the rest of my post you can see both sides of the argument.

Now Smith and McNabb mouthing off about a situation between Favre and Walker is just out of place. It comes down to the same summary in my orginal post -- it doesn't matter what the media or fans think about Brett's comments. The only thing that matters is what Walker thinks and his relationship with Favre.

Members online

Latest posts