Dexter Mccluster (RB/KR/PR/WR, Ole Miss)

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mccluster had a great performance in the senior bowl and many scouts are hypnotized by his ability to play 3 to 4 positions. Some regard him as the next Percy Harvin.

CBS Draft Analysis: Dexter McCluster, Mississippi, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Short Highlight film:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb-chWh64Dc"]YouTube- Dexter Mccluster short career Highlight Vid[/ame]

Release: Can break free from the jam using his agility and upper-body strength. Much stronger than his size might indicate. Good lateral agility to elude the defender at the line and has the straight-line speed to demand respect.

Hands: Good hands to pluck the ball outside of his frame. Can track the ball over his shoulder and is quick to secure the pass and look for additional yardage. Good making adjustments to poorly throw passes but struggles when attempting to catch in traffic.

Route running: Isn't asked to run a variety of pro-style routes within this offense. Flashes excellent quickness, but is only a marginal route-runner, at this time, despite his athleticism.

After the catch: Elusive and has the acceleration and top-end speed to run away from defenders if he gets in the open field. Good vision and sets up his blocks nicely with the ability to burst through a small gap. Versatile threat capable of contributing as a runner, receiver and returner.

Blocking: Pesky blocker who provides good effort and is stronger than he looks but lacks great bulk. Gives good effort downfield to chip when a teammate breaks into the open.
Intangibles: Good toughness as an interior runner and actually led the Rebels with six rushing touchdowns in 2008. Experienced punt and kickoff returner. The results of McCluster's medical reports from the Combine could prove critical in his final draft grade. He missed six games in 2006 due to a shoulder injury involving nerve damage and another four games in 2007 due to re-injuring the same shoulder in the preseason.

NFL Comparison: Sinorice Moss

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted the analysis directly in here.

Also, thanks for finding vids of him. I couldn't...

No problem, thanks for posting the analysis, I can't figure out how to do directly quote it lol. BTW I know a lot of packer fans want mccluster on our team but I'm looking at Trindon Holliday. Packers scout dorsey was highly touting Holliday for the same abilities as Mccluster. I beleive if another team picks up Mccluster the packers are definitely getting Holliday.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No thanks to Trindon Holliday. Would love to get McCluster in the second round. So much value in one pick. Has great soft hands, a very elusive runner, and an explosive returner. All add up to one great pick if he drops to us in the 2nd.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No thanks to Trindon Holliday. Would love to get McCluster in the second round. So much value in one pick. Has great soft hands, a very elusive runner, and an explosive returner. All add up to one great pick if he drops to us in the 2nd.

2nd round?? He isn't really a position of need more like a luxury pick. Would like to take him in the 3rd or later once we plug some of the holes on our team like OL, Corner, or even Safety.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2nd round?? He isn't really a position of need more like a luxury pick. Would like to take him in the 3rd or later once we plug some of the holes on our team like OL, Corner, or even Safety.
I vehemently disagree.

KR/PR is a MAIN position of need.

A great field position and a chance to break a big one would go ways to improving our team.

And the fact that he can play WR and be a change of pace RB... I would be doing jumping jacks if we took him.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course he could have a bad combine and drop to the 3rd, but right now he'll be taken in the 2nd round after his good performance in the Senior Bowl. Totally agree with RS. We need a healthy returner, plus added into the fact of what I already said. Great hands and a nice speedy back at times. Just to add to his value, is the fact that he did well in the wildcat formation. Whether we'd do the wildcat is one thing, but it just adds more to his value and the likelihood of him going in the 2nd.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCluster would give us a spark on returns. We need that speed. I was reading somewhere that TT wants more speed on the team.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to be safe. I know he'll be there with our 2, and if Ted really wants him I have faith that he'll reach if he has to in order to make sure he gets his man.

I hope so too. Recently I've been watching more and more on Mcculster, he can definitely put more fire into this already burning offense.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way TT will reach. He's never done it before, and he won't do it now. Not for a position that's not our most pressing need, and not for that much.

He might reach for a 25 if he's at 23, but that's it.

And don't give me no CM3, CM3 was #15 on his board, if I'm not mistaken...

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Justin Harrell wasn't a reach?
According to every thing I read and every sports "expert" and every Mel Kiper wanna be.........he was a reach. Probably because his history of injuries during College.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to every thing I read and every sports "expert" and every Mel Kiper wanna be.........he was a reach. Probably because his history of injuries during College.
Every EXPERT had CM3 as an early 2nd round pick...

TT had CM3 as #15...

Mike Mayock has Earl Thomas ahead Eric Berry.

Todd McShay (A.k.a. tanned man) doesn't have Clausen as a 1st rounder, because "he's not sure what's his upside". Are you kidding me? He's had monstruous sucess in a pro offense, in a bad team, and you don't rank him at the 1st round because you're "not sure about his upside"?

And about Kiper, here's a little nugget:

1. Houston -- David Carr, QB, Fresno State
Carr now becomes the cornerstone of the Texans' franchise. He is a franchise-caliber quarterback with accuracy and velocity reminiscent of another No. 1 overall pick, Troy Aikman. Look what Aikman meant to Dallas. Carr is a major building block; with the right supporting cast, the rest could be history. His sidearm delivery is a concern because there is a possibility for his passes being batted down. Plus, he won't scramble around and make things happen with his legs. But Carr has the physical ability. He was brought along slowly at Fresno State in order to grasp Pat Hill's sophisticated offense. Last season he was the most consistent performer at the college level, and he beat three top-level opponents at the start of the season. He lit it up at the Senior Bowl and seized control of the top spot at that time. The Texans had to pick him. His maturity and leadership are critical aspects of his makeup.
3. Detroit -- Joey Harrington, QB, Oregon
This was a decision Lions coach Marty Mornhinweg had to make based on his assessment of Mike McMahon, whom the Lions drafted last year. Harrington is the third highest player on my draft board and deserved to go in this area. Playing in Mike Bellotti's offense at Oregon, Harrington is a great fit for Mornhinweg's West Coast scheme. Harrington, who has a Brett Favre-like flair for the dramatic, was a highly productive quarterback and one I had rated only slightly behind Carr. But he outperformed Carr at the NFL scouting combine, showing tremendous touch and accuracy on deep balls and more than adequate arm strength. The Lions had to make a pick to generate fan interest in their team, especially with a new stadium coming soon.
So you figure it out by yourself what this so called EXPERTS know about anything...

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmmm, McCluster clocked 4.53 in 40...oops

Looks like he may have hurt his draft stock but I still expect teams to pick in the second round. He did indicate that the packers have spoken to him about playing running back so I hope we get him.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes! I'm glad he only ran a 4.53. Now we might have a chance for him in the 3rd round.

Yeah I hope so too. NFL.com however still thinks that a team may ignore his 40 time based on what they see on film and snag him earlier. I hope that team will be green bay.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCluster hurt his stock running a 4.53 for sure. Whats up with that? I really don't think I'd take him in round 2 anyhow. Maybe if he falls to round 3 because of his slow run.....we could take him. Trindon Holliday ran a heck of alot faster and we could probably get him a bit later!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts