Delanie Walker

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was released today by TE. FWIW, I think that it was because of the need to clear cap space and the emergence of J Smith moreso than any significant decline due to age

He was with LaFluer in TN, though only played 1 game due to injury . The offense the following year apparently kept the same verbiage, so he should come along quickly.

I actually thought that he looked good when he played last year, and fills a significant need. A lot of upside to signing him, definitely worth kicking the tires

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a Delanie fan, however would rather have Lewis or Fells (I think may have been resigned though it sounds) if going after an older veteran

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather Hooper than a budget Delanie, who's been hit by the injury bug as of late.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I may ask, why?

Delanie has been changed by his injuries and he isn't the most accomplished blocker either.

Mercedes Lewis might be older, but he does excel at what he does well; leadership and blocking. His hands have never gotten worse either and while they're connected to a slower body they are accomplished.

Fells is a snap count young vet, that has started to finally get his chances and has become a pretty solid red zone threat and passing option.

D

Deleted member 6794

He was released today by TE. FWIW, I think that it was because of the need to clear cap space and the emergence of J Smith moreso than any significant decline due to age

He was with LaFluer in TN, though only played 1 game due to injury . The offense the following year apparently kept the same verbiage, so he should come along quickly.

I actually thought that he looked good when he played last year, and fills a significant need. A lot of upside to signing him, definitely worth kicking the tires

Walker has only been able to play a total of 232 snaps over the past two seasons. With him turning 36 years old before the start of the season the Packers should pass on him.

I am a Delanie fan, however would rather have Lewis or Fells (I think may have been resigned though it sounds) if going after an older veteran

Fells re-signed with the Texans this week.

I'd rather Hooper than a budget Delanie, who's been hit by the injury bug as of late.

I definitely agree but you have to consider that Hooper will demand a lot more money than it would take to sign Walker.

H

HardRightEdge

Delanie Walker had ankle surgery in September 2018, playing only on opening day. In 2019, he played a decent number of snaps in the first 6 weeks, 5 snaps in week 7, then shelved for weeks 8-10. Following their week 11 bye he was placed on IR as a result of pain in that surgically repaired ankle.

So, this is a guy who will be 36 years old on opening day with what looks like a chronic ankle problem. He could tell your doctor it feels great when it doesn't. You'd have to work him out hard and see if he winces. Even if it feels and looks great, after a couple weeks of camp it might not.

Chronic foot or ankle problems in a 36 year old player is generally the kind of thing you'd want to steer clear of. Outside looking in with incomplete information he should not be any list.

H

HardRightEdge

If Hooper isn't an option, I just want Lewis back.
Yeah, there's a case for that. Not very expensive, utility as a blocker primarily but a guy you can't go entirely to sleep on in a route, and durable in not having missed a game in the last 3 seasons.

There is a high probability you'll get from him in 2020 what you got from him in 2019 despite the age factor. At this age, however, it would have to be a one year deal, or two if there is little or no dead cap overhang in that second year.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pausing on him...I do not think Gute will bite. Would like to see the tug boat resigned though as his blocking is a premium, and Lewis is serviceable.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In that case the Packers would have to address wide receiver in free agency though.

They don't *have to* do anything. I completely understand the urgency to add pass catching weapons, but sending good money after bad players isn't going to help anything.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Delanie has been changed by his injuries and he isn't the most accomplished blocker either.

Mercedes Lewis might be older, but he does excel at what he does well; leadership and blocking. His hands have never gotten worse either and while they're connected to a slower body they are accomplished.

Fells is a snap count young vet, that has started to finally get his chances and has become a pretty solid red zone threat and passing option.
Walker is a solid blocker, and infinitely better as a receiving option than Lewis. Lewis is a great guy, but he's a boat anchor on an offense which needs a lot of juice. He's more of a #3-4 TE at best, while Walker would be the #1 if he can stay healthy. I don't think people realize how much talent the offense lacks. Walker is definitely no lock to stay healthy, but he should be a budget signing anyway and signing someone like Hooper to a big deal is just stupid and comparable to the Graham signing.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, there's a case for that. Not very expensive, utility as a blocker primarily but a guy you can't go entirely to sleep on in a route, and durable in not having missed a game in the last 3 seasons.

There is a high probability you'll get from him in 2020 what you got from him in 2019 despite the age factor. At this age, however, it would have to be a one year deal, or two if there is little or no dead cap overhang in that second year.

From what I've heard, Lewis is also a solid locker room guy and a leader. That's a plus.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker is a solid blocker, and infinitely better as a receiving option than Lewis. Lewis is a great guy, but he's a boat anchor on an offense which needs a lot of juice. He's more of a #3-4 TE at best, while Walker would be the #1 if he can stay healthy. I don't think people realize how much talent the offense lacks. Walker is definitely no lock to stay healthy, but he should be a budget signing anyway and signing someone like Hooper to a big deal is just stupid and comparable to the Graham signing.

I'd recommend you research your blocking claims of Walker....while I might be selling Lewis slightly higher you're overselling Walker in the same sense. Walker is 36 coming off a rather significant lower body injury...he is no longer a stretch TE, he is not a upper echelon blocker and I'd argue his hands and Lewis's are equal BUT I 100% agree he is a quicker TE than Lewis for sure. I would not be opposed at all with a TE room of two young promising upward heading TEs in Stern and Tonyan + a Walker/Lewis combo. Lewis is a stud of a TE blocker and there are times when game plans shift that he is crucial to success at moving the ball on long drives....while still 100% having the hands to slip out for those 5-9 yard routes.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd recommend you research your blocking claims of Walker....while I might be selling Lewis slightly higher you're overselling Walker in the same sense. Walker is 36 coming off a rather significant lower body injury...he is no longer a stretch TE, he is not a upper echelon blocker and I'd argue his hands and Lewis's are equal BUT I 100% agree he is a quicker TE than Lewis for sure. I would not be opposed at all with a TE room of two young promising upward heading TEs in Stern and Tonyan + a Walker/Lewis combo. Lewis is a stud of a TE blocker and there are times when game plans shift that he is crucial to success at moving the ball on long drives....while still 100% having the hands to slip out for those 5-9 yard routes.
Is Walker still a top 3 TE at age 36 even while healthy? No. But even if he has lost a step, he's still one of the best route runners at the position. What I saw from him last year would be a massive upgrade to our TE group. Most of those guys wouldn't be on this or most other rosters if we weren't so woefully inadequate at addressing the position.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Walker still a top 3 TE at age 36 even while healthy? No. But even if he has lost a step, he's still one of the best route runners at the position. What I saw from him last year would be a massive upgrade to our TE group. Most of those guys wouldn't be on this or most other rosters if we weren't so woefully inadequate at addressing the position.

He wasn't on pace to have an amazing year in comparison to Jimmy G honestly. Now granted I hate speculating what someone would have done, especially when they didn't even play half a season like he did in 2019. Again I think he'd be a solid signing depending price. I'm a Walker fan.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wasn't on pace to have an amazing year in comparison to Jimmy G honestly. Now granted I hate speculating what someone would have done, especially when they didn't even play half a season like he did in 2019. Again I think he'd be a solid signing depending price. I'm a Walker fan.
True, but it's really difficult to know how good he was or how productive he would have been because Mariota was playing QB at the time. They weren't able to get production out of anyone, other than the flashes from AJ Brown. I actually really like Sternberger and his potential, Walker is just a cheap option familiar with the system who could prove to be of some value. And I know that he has a huge chip on his shoulder and wants to go somewhere that he can prove he can still play.

D

Deleted member 6794

I completely understand the urgency to add pass catching weapons, but sending good money after bad players isn't going to help anything.

While that's true standing pat at both wide receiver and tight end in free agency and solely relying on the draft to improve the receiving corps shouldn't be the preferred option.

Walker is a solid blocker, and infinitely better as a receiving option than Lewis. He's more of a #3-4 TE at best, while Walker would be the #1 if he can stay healthy. I don't think people realize how much talent the offense lacks. Walker is definitely no lock to stay healthy, but he should be a budget signing anyway and signing someone like Hooper to a big deal is just stupid and comparable to the Graham signing.

Walker would have been a significant upgrade at the position several years ago but at 36 years old doesn't offer similar production anymore.

Members online

Latest posts