DeGuara likely done for year

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF said the knee injury he suffered last night was"pretty bad". Not official, but likely done for the year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you could see them moving the knee on the field last night

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Good thing Tonyan had his coming out Party last night! Time to get Sternberger going and give Deguara a red shirt season to be ready for 2021. Sad to see him injured, but I think it opens up a valuable roster spot, that was being taken by a 4th string rookie TE that was only on the roster because as a 3rd round pick, he wouldn't have made it to the PS.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Good thing Tonyan had his coming out Party last night! Time to get Sternberger going and give Deguara a red shirt season to be ready for 2021. Sad to see him injured, but I think it opens up a valuable roster spot, that was being taken by a 4th string rookie TE that was only on the roster because as a 3rd round pick, he wouldn't have made it to the PS.
He played a dozen? Snaps against Minnesota.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Does this guy understand anything that LaFleur wants/likes to do?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully this clears the way for ESB to return from IR while keeping Begelton on the active roster. That would be good insurance in case Adams reaggravates his injury.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welp, ESB and Snacks then.

Also what concerns me is the description of Deguara's injury. They say it was a "pretty bad one". Normally when a player tears their ACL it's described as just that. I wonder if this is possibly career ending, that would be a major black mark on the 2020 class seeing as our first 3 picks will make almost no impact on this season. That also could mean that a 5th, or 6th Rounder from next year is "wasted" on another FB/TE.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Welp, ESB and Snacks then.

Also what concerns me is the description of Deguara's injury. They say it was a "pretty bad one". Normally when a player tears their ACL it's described as just that. I wonder if this is possibly career ending, that would be a major black mark on the 2020 class seeing as our first 3 picks will make almost no impact on this season. That also could mean that a 5th, or 6th Rounder from next year is "wasted" on another FB/TE.
We’ve got 10 draft picks next year and I’m not expecting Lewis back. I’d be surprised if they don’t draft a TE/FB.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The real loss here is that with Deguara being out of sight and out of mine, we won’t be able to hear some of our favorite posters **** and moan about who they would have drafted instead.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The real loss here is that with Deguara being out of sight and out of mind, we won’t be able to hear some of our favorite posters **** and moan about who they would have drafted instead.

I got you covered:

McTelvin Agim
Lucas Niang
Jacob Phillips
Adam Trautman
Akeem Davis-Gaither

Trade back for an extra pick to make up for the Love selection.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I want a TE as well, but more in the mold of Tony Gonzalez and not Charlie Sanders.
Lol, well then Gutekunst needs to scout college basketball to find that hidden diamond because you aren’t going to draft a Tony Gonzalez at pick 32 like we will next year.:)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Deguara was far more than 4th deep at TE. Clearly in the games he was in you missed a lot. MLF's system involves a H Back TE a LOT. I think we now will see a lot more 2 RB on the field and Lovett just got his big chance to run with the role Deguara was better at than him.

Deguara, while still drafted IMO a round early, was an important cog in this system that from a young inexperienced age level illustrated an ability many didn't expect to see right out the gate.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A guy I hope our organization keeps an eye on if he becomes available (currently on PS for the Niners) is Charlie Taumoepeau. H Back version of a TE like Deguara only MUCH MORE raw.

If you look up combine measurables this year you will see athletically the dude is gifted than a TON of others, and was tops in some categories. IF we sense Deguara's injury is quite serious, thinking towards a TE build for the future Charlie is that guy...honestly I sense that is precisely why Kyle Shanahan picked him up too...eye popping athleticism for a TE, if can absorb playbook and taught technique kid in a MLF system could flourish.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Deguara was far more than 4th deep at TE. Clearly in the games he was in you missed a lot.

I saw him play in both games. 24 snaps in the Vikings game and 7 in the Falcons game.

Maybe my post sounded a bit harsh and I should have said "of the 4 TE's, if you had to lose one for the season, this is probably the one I would say impacts us the least." Some might argue that Sternberger would have been their choice, but I would prefer a guy that is in his 2nd year in this offense over a rookie. Either way, Tonyan and Lewis remain your 2 most impactful TE's and if MLF wants a 4th TE, I am guessing he can find someone with similar skills elsewhere.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This offense uses an H-back heavily in nearly every iteration. You can look around the league and see it (Jusczcyk, Smith, etc.). So they drafted one. Some people still don't get it. Or don't want to.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, well then Gutekunst needs to scout college basketball to find that hidden diamond because you aren’t going to draft a Tony Gonzalez at pick 32 like we will next year.:)

Kyle Pitts out of Florida could fall to us. I would prefer him out of any WR in the Draft right now.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw him play in both games. 24 snaps in the Vikings game and 7 in the Falcons game.

Maybe my post sounded a bit harsh and I should have said "of the 4 TE's, if you had to lose one for the season, this is probably the one I would say impacts us the least." Some might argue that Sternberger would have been their choice, but I would prefer a guy that is in his 2nd year in this offense over a rookie. Either way, Tonyan and Lewis remain your 2 most impactful TE's and if MLF wants a 4th TE, I am guessing he can find someone with similar skills elsewhere.

I would argue that if you're going to have Deguara included with the TE's, that he's probably the 2nd most important after Tonyan.

Yes, more than Lewis.

His role led to so much flexibility, so much deception.

If you think Sternberger is more important to the offense than Deguara, then flat out you aren't paying attention to the offense and what LaFleur wants to do.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean you never wanna see anyone get injured but I don't think this will have that much of an impact on the offense...

Clearly mlf has shown that he can scheme game plan and call plays no matter whos available. Yeah losing Deguara takes a chess piece off his board but it's a pawn...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts