Defense under Barry

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think tonight is the true test of whether Joe Brady is an upgrade over Mike Pettine.

Shanahan ran circles around the latter. Can Barry be better prepared?

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think tonight is the true test of whether Joe Brady is an upgrade over Mike Pettine.

Shanahan ran circles around the latter. Can Barry be better prepared?

I sure hope so. It's been talked about forcing Jimmy G to pass by stopping that run, but what's evident to us, as in the past, seems to find the defense not forcing that issue. I know Barry's defense is a lot different than Pettine's but he has to find a way to stop that run. Jimmy G is supposedly hurt so let's hope they force that issue. It would be a travesty to let something like that 6 pass NFCCG to ever happen again.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tonight is the beginning of what could be a 3 game journey into history, or the end of a dream. I'm hoping that the extra week of having a chance to analyze what the 49ers bring to the table will be enough for the Packers to put them away early, and give some of our returning vets a chance to play without pressure.

Reaction score
As far as rust factors. I look at last season and didn’t really notice that coming into our Divisional. Obviously we have many changes on the Defensive side. Let’s hope Barry is aggressive and keys on Samuel and Kittle. We have to be aggressive and proactive in slowing those 2 because they are both more dangerous with the ball in their hands (YAC, breaking tackles or making Defenders miss).
If we mitigate those 2? That’s a huge part of their success Offensively. Obviously easier said than done and probably how they view Aaron Jones and Davante Adams.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as rust factors. I look at last season and didn’t really notice that coming into our Divisional. Obviously we have many changes on the Defensive side. Let’s hope Barry is aggressive and keys on Samuel and Kittle. We have to be aggressive and proactive in slowing those 2 because they are both more dangerous with the ball in their hands (YAC, breaking tackles or making Defenders miss)
Excellent point on touches. A guy can't cause damage if he ain't got the ball in his hands.

Reaction score
IF our D can come up substantial.

Would this one game bring us more confidence in their ability? Or would we blame it on injuries or weather etc..?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF our D can come up substantial.

Would this one game bring us more confidence in their ability? Or would we blame it on injuries or weather etc..?
Personally, I believe that Rodgers intends for the playoffs this year to define his career in Green Bay. No matter what, if they win the whole thing, he goes out as a winner. It's what he's played for all these years. To be called "The Greatest Packer of All-time."

He may not have stated that at any time, but it's obvious that's what he wants, and will move any obstacles he can to get there.

If it doesn't happen, he will not come back under any circumstances. If they do win it all, it is possible he comes back, but it won't matter to him, because he'd have proven his point.

Right now, there's nothing to really point at, except the next three games, assuming they play in all of them.

Enjoy the ride. You might not see anything close to this again during your lifetimes.

Reaction score
Personally, I believe that Rodgers intends for the playoffs this year to define his career in Green Bay. No matter what, if they win the whole thing, he goes out as a winner. It's what he's played for all these years. To be called "The Greatest Packer of All-time."

He may not have stated that at any time, but it's obvious that's what he wants, and will move any obstacles he can to get there.

If it doesn't happen, he will not come back under any circumstances. If they do win it all, it is possible he comes back, but it won't matter to him, because he'd have proven his point.

Right now, there's nothing to really point at, except the next three games, assuming they play in all of them.

Enjoy the ride. You might not see anything close to this again during your lifetimes.
Yea.
I’m not saying this from Green n Gold lenses as much. The Packers have not played to their ability imo.
I see a team with tremendous potential if O + D have just a B+ grade game.
The ST needs to just get out if the way or contribute. They’ve turned a corner but it’s time to prove they can help this team (instead of hurting it)

Moore coming back could be a difference in turning the tide. But we can’t afford even 1 holding penalty on ST. Those are deal breakers. 50% of the time those penalties didn’t even affect the play, yet we back the ball up 40 yards or 10 yards against our own Endzone.

No holding. No offsides. Nothing dirty or selfish. Give the 49ers zero help!!

No more let’s F n Rumble!
(Forgive me Lord but This is our Goliath!)

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense played great. SF had great field position all day long and only got 2 FGs. That stuff on 4th down before the blocked punt was incredible. They rose to the occasion.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Some final results on the season for Barry:

-5.4 Yards Per Play (15th)
-5.8 Net Yards Per Pass (5th)
-4.7 Yards Per Carry (31st, Tied)
-21.8 Points Per Game (14th)
-42.9 3rd Down % (24th)
-2.12 Points Per Drive (20th)

So nothing really extreme here. Yardage-wise, the pass defense was strong and the rush defense weak, which is the design of the scheme. I'm not too concerned about that, because when they really needed to buckle down and play the run, they often could. Pettine had similar splits, but his teams typically couldn't adjust when the opponent or game script called for it.

Barry had some headwinds too. Za'Darius played 18 snaps on the season. Depth at edge also got hurt in relatively short order (Mercilus for example). Alexander only played 20% of the season's snaps. Furthermore, him and his staff took guys who were career nobodies and turned them into really good players (Campbell, Douglas). He got good play out of Stokes and we saw the improvement of some players who had been regressing like Preston Smith and Dean Lowry.

I think given all that, Barry did a good job. He didn't take the league by storm and he certainly didn't tank the defense: he was solidly good.

Now compared to what was said about him by 75% of fans around here coming into the job... solidly good is pretty amazing.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering the injuries our defense had this year, I'm inclined to believe that the defense did pretty well. In fact they stepped up in a few games to help the team a great deal.

I'm not about to be down on Barry at this point in time. I think he did a decent job with the hand he was dealt.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some final results on the season for Barry:

-5.4 Yards Per Play (15th)
-5.8 Net Yards Per Pass (5th)
-4.7 Yards Per Carry (31st, Tied)
-21.8 Points Per Game (14th)
-42.9 3rd Down % (24th)
-2.12 Points Per Drive (20th)

So nothing really extreme here. Yardage-wise, the pass defense was strong and the rush defense weak, which is the design of the scheme. I'm not too concerned about that, because when they really needed to buckle down and play the run, they often could. Pettine had similar splits, but his teams typically couldn't adjust when the opponent or game script called for it.

Barry had some headwinds too. Za'Darius played 18 snaps on the season. Depth at edge also got hurt in relatively short order (Mercilus for example). Alexander only played 20% of the season's snaps. Furthermore, him and his staff took guys who were career nobodies and turned them into really good players (Campbell, Douglas). He got good play out of Stokes and we saw the improvement of some players who had been regressing like Preston Smith and Dean Lowry.

I think given all that, Barry did a good job. He didn't take the league by storm and he certainly didn't tank the defense: he was solidly good.

Now compared to what was said about him by 75% of fans around here coming into the job... solidly good is pretty amazing.
Probably should compare turnovers as well. Barry has one feather in his cap. That is a solid defensive performance in a playoff game which we had not seen since who knows when.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably should compare turnovers as well. Barry has one feather in his cap. That is a solid defensive performance in a playoff game which we had not seen since who knows when.

Had to look back - 12/27/2020 against the Tennessee Titans for sure fits this bill for solid performance in the playoffs.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had to look back - 12/27/2020 against the Tennessee Titans for sure fits this bill for solid performance in the playoffs.
12/27/2020 was not a playoff game. It was a regular non-conference season game against Tennessee. I believe we put up a load of points and our defense was OK. But talking about bad ST play that game brings to mind another blocked FG by our opponent. Fortunately, the game was not close.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
12/27/2020 was not a playoff game. It was a regular non-conference season game against Tennessee. I believe we put up a load of points and our defense was OK. But talking about bad ST play that game brings to mind another blocked FG by our opponent. Fortunately, the game was not close.

LOL oh my word I did forget that was the case. It had massive playoff tree impacts and the snow made me remember it being a playoff, but for sure was not.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Eh... one could if they were so inclined, but I don't think turnovers are very predictive.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is a solid defensive performance in a playoff game which we had not seen since who knows when.
How long have we been waiting for that? And who would have thought we'd lose the game? It's enough to make you lose your mind.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL oh my word I did forget that was the case. It had massive playoff tree impacts and the snow made me remember it being a playoff, but for sure was not.
Don’t want to Rib ya too much …. but the only playoff game the Packers would be playing against the Titans … would be called the SuperBowl lol.