Defense counting upon improved play of 22 year olds…

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have dedicated a great deal of ink to the young CB (Carroll) whom most of us are hoping will grow significantly and continue to develop heading into his 3rd NFL season. But here is another 22 year old (actually 12 days younger) who showed some promise as a rookie, A player I look to make big improvements heading into his sophomore season.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Both these young men have qualities that are hard to find – speed to burn and a willingness to lay wood on receivers. Last season he had 63 tackles and 21 assists – not bad for a rookie safety, but I am looking for big improvement with a year under his belt and an off-season of maturation (physical, emotional, and mental) as he begins to understand and adjust to the speed of the game while learning to trust his skills.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He only came up with one interception last season (see pic above) -- another area I hope to see him break out from in 2006. Collins development will be a huge key to improved play on the defensive side of the football. I know the coaches join me in having high expectations as the light bulb continues to turn on quicker – to match the pace of NFL action.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bruce said:
I know the coaches join me in having high expectations as the light bulb continues to turn on quicker – to match the pace of NFL action.

Got some inside info? I would figure you'd be joining THEM not the other way around :p

/being smartass off

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I remember reading about one of his coaches say something to the extent of (about his interceptions, lack of) "It is funny, because he picks them off all day in practice." So that at least gives us reasonable hope that his ints will pick up. He put himself in position many times, but didnt get the pick. I will chalk it up to rookie mistakes.

I was just happy he made big tackles, and put beatings on people over the middle. Interceptions will come, I am sure of it. Year 2 in the bates scheme(even if we dont have bates) will help him. We finally have some consistency.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins has definite pro bowl caliber skills the INT's were bad but he played well in coverage and would come up and stop runners at the line with bone jarring hits OH YEAH HES A ROOKIE WOW this kid is going to be great someday (knock on wood)

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:
Collins has definite pro bowl caliber skills the INT's were bad but he played well in coverage and would come up and stop runners at the line with bone jarring hits OH YEAH HES A ROOKIE WOW this kid is going to be great someday (knock on wood)

I believe the secondary can be a strength of the defense with the players we have in place. The point of my post -- essentially in agreement with you -- was that Collins had a solid but not spectacular rookie season as an NFL starting Safety (quite a feat in itself). There is every reason to believe that he and Carroll -- both very physically gifted -- will make strides moving into their 2nd and 3rd seasons.

There is no reason to believe that Harris will not be solid again -- Chad Johnson called him the best CB he faced -- and Roman was greatly improved from 2004 to 2005 so ditto at least on him.

The young reserves Hawkins, Underwood, and Dendy all are young and talented and should be better with a season under their belts.

I think the secondary has the potential to be very good if we can solidify the LB corp and improve the pass rush.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think amazing things happen when there are consequences for poor play and poor effort. I think that is the biggest coaching problem of the previous staff. Carroll couldn't break the habit of using his hands, but there were few consequences to correct the problem. Now if he just doesn't have the ability to defend without using his hands, then he was just a wasted draft pick. I do like Collins a lot.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Well I remember reading about one of his coaches say something to the extent of (about his interceptions, lack of) "It is funny, because he picks them off all day in practice."

With Brett Favre throwing the ball everyone gets a pick.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Up yers..Rabid..

The article didn't say "who" was throwing the ball...

(It could also tell you that our suck-*** receivers couldn't even get separation, or know how to run routes, against our supposedly pathetic defense...)

I love all you people who criticize Favre...you'll probably be the firsts ones pissing and moaning when he retires or goes to another team, and you finally see the difference in who GB gets stuck with at QB....and Brett Favre...

"Don't be ingrates..."

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack you have to admit with the way last year was going average almost 2 picks a game Brett was giving it up alot. Now if he would have had a few recievers fight for the ball would have been about 1 pick a game average. But some were ugly picks

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Up yers..Rabid..

The article didn't say "who" was throwing the ball...

(It could also tell you that our suck-*** receivers couldn't even get separation, or know how to run routes, against our supposedly pathetic defense...)

I love all you people who criticize Favre...you'll probably be the firsts ones pissing and moaning when he retires or goes to another team, and you finally see the difference in who GB gets stuck with at QB....and Brett Favre...

"Don't be ingrates..."

good god. even a joke, you jump all over. its not favre, its the backup qb, or its our crappyr ecievers, or our bad oline. favre can do no wrong. blah blah blah. get off his *******, son.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts