Decision Making at 1265 Lombardi Ave

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't Zygi Wilf living in New Jersey while owning the Vikings? Owners don't necessarily move the team to where they live. I think the Brewers owner lives out west somewhere.

Wasn't quite trying to imply that. Mostly was just thinking that an owner would want the team in a bigger city to chase bigger revenue and get bigger stadium deals and what not. Unless said owner was someone who wanted to buy the team to keep it in Green Bay.

They came close to relocating to LA around 2000 even with this structure, hence the reason for the renovations

Never remember hearing that. Please enlighten me. How close were they?

Yeah sounds pretty far fetched to me. I only remember reading something in a print edition in which something was discussed In the JS about playing in the Brewers current stadium or something like that. I don't have that particular edition handy anymore though.

But yeah there's zero chances the shareholders and board would have agreed to moving the team to LA.

D

Deleted member 6794

They came close to relocating to LA around 2000 even with this structure, hence the reason for the renovations

The Packers came pretty close to going bankrupt several times in their history but at this point are very profitable.

I don't think the franchise would currently fare any better financially in a larger city.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers came pretty close to going bankrupt several times in their history but at this point are very profitable.

I don't think the franchise would currently fare any better financially in a larger city.
Agree. They would quickly become just another football franchise. The Packers have a lot of fans all over the world precisely because they are in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Much of the appeal is the small town against big city team. David vs Goliath. People like that storyline and they love our history.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Front office people are a dime a dozen. It's great players and especially qb's that win championships in a league where the rules put a premium on the position. Drafting the great qb in itself is overrated since most of them exhibited their skills in college and are taken early in the draft, especially quarterbacks. Sometimes a great qb even falls in the draft showing just how mediocre most Front Offices are. Russell Wilson was great his senior year. I went to several Badger games and it was obvious he could play. Yet he fell to the third round just because he wasn't tall enough. When the franchise qb leaves or gets hurt. it's the very rare FO that has assembled a roster balanced enough to keep winning. Most of the time, the team tanks and the FO is eventually replaced because they go from being considered really good with the franchise qb to very mediocre in a hurry without him.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Front office people are a dime a dozen. It's great players and especially qb's that win championships in a league where the rules put a premium on the position. Drafting the great qb in itself is overrated since most of them exhibited their skills in college and are taken early in the draft, especially quarterbacks. Sometimes a great qb even falls in the draft showing just how mediocre most Front Offices are. Russell Wilson was great his senior year. I went to several Badger games and it was obvious he could play. Yet he fell to the third round just because he wasn't tall enough. When the franchise qb leaves or gets hurt. it's the very rare FO that has assembled a roster balanced enough to keep winning. Most of the time, the team tanks and the FO is eventually replaced because they go from being considered really good with the franchise qb to very mediocre in a hurry without him.
Good NFL management teams are not a dime a dozen. They are just like players. A few are elite, some are good, some are mediocre and some are flat out bad compared to the rest. Constructing and maintaining an elite management team is much more difficult than any single player’s responsibilities. The player just prepares and plays. Top management has to identify top producers at all levels of the entire operation and it’s an ongoing process.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts