DEADLINE FOR USING 2007 CAP ROOM COMING

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
So time for the front loaded deals is approaching soon.

DEADLINE FOR USING 2007 CAP ROOM COMING

In past years, teams had until the middle of December to complete contracts aimed at taking advantage of the current year's excess cap room.

But the deadline has since been moved into early November. This year, teams have only until 4:00 p.m. EST on Tuesday to execute deals with salaries that count against the 2007 cap, or that contain signing bonus money that is prorated to include a charge in the 2007 cap year.

So what will teams do with any cap room that might remain after Tuesday? It's not a "use it or lose it" scenario. Instead, teams can re-do contracts with players to contain "likely to be earned" incentives in 2007 that, as a practical matter, won't be earned. Then, when the incentive isn't reached, the cap room will carry over to the next season.

And while the NFLPA generally doesn't like the practice of teams carrying over cap room, we doubt that the union will complain after Tuesday, since the alternative will be that the money doesn't get used at all.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the salry cap is frickin confusing i feel like you need a law degree with all that mumble jumble......whos our free agents for 08'?

Sangill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald Lee is one of them - but I recall reading somewhere that his deal is being negotiated right now.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we can hold some back and with next years cap to work with we can concentrate on a couple of players that are difference makers and press the talent levels of Indy and NE.

We're definately back to playoff good but we have a ways to go to play with those boys.

Nothing the good ole' American Dollar can't fix.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what sickens me the most is dallas has two first round picks and the patriots have the 49ers selection the draft......the rich are just getting richer

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I still don't understand how that happened. What kind of trade did the Patriots make that allowed this to happen? And Dallas???

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dallas traded with cleveland at the end of the first round last year,,,,,, it was the trade that enabled cleveland to get brady quinn, and to think the trade was offered to us at 16 but we took harrell......wed have 2 first rounders this year..... and as far as the patriots, they swapped somewhere i dont recall

but yeah....it sux

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Ahh, that's right.

Man, turning down that trade could prove to be a fatal flaw. I don't doubt that Harrell will be DECENT, but considering DT is our deepest position right now and the damage we're doing this season without our 1st round pick, two 1st rounders next draft sounds ever so nice . .

hmpf!!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please! Imagine the backlash if TT would have given away our 1st round pick. i can just hear it now.... "TT won't be happy til he runs Favre out of town! That piece of **** won't give Favre a single weapon!"

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Please! Imagine the backlash if TT would have given away our 1st round pick. i can just hear it now.... "TT won't be happy til he runs Favre out of town! That piece of **** won't give Favre a single weapon!"

I think it would have been less than the backlash given for the Harrell pick.. a lot more choice at RB and Oline this year than last..

Horse apiece though.. seeing the the Browns aren't probably going to be a top 5 or maybe even a top 10 pick doesn't make it seem as good as it could have.

I wonder how pissed Jones is with the Browns winning this year.. a bite in the arshe for sure.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh god .....jerry jones was at the arkansas game last weekend lookin at mcfadde,,,, jj would love to get him in the draft, but the browns keep winning :)

im rooting for the browns to go to the playoffss.....seriously

screw the cowboys

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
oh god .....jerry jones was at the arkansas game last weekend lookin at mcfadde,,,, jj would love to get him in the draft, but the browns keep winning :)

im rooting for the browns to go to the playoffss.....seriously

screw the cowboys

Yes make him trade both those picks to move up for McFadden.. something about McFadden seems off.. but Jerry is going to want a star Hog on his team.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who cares about backlash...just imagine if we had two first round picks this year.....

and there was backlash...... everyone wanted offense and tt picked a dt, theres still backlash about the pic or people wouldnt be saying i wish we had traded our pick from last year

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I understand it, from here on until December, 100% of any new deal will NOT be counted this year but will be pro-rated much like the signing bonus. We'd still get some benefit this year , just not as much. But who in hell REALLY knows and understands?

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
As I understand it, from here on until December, 100% of any new deal will NOT be counted this year but will be pro-rated much like the signing bonus. We'd still get some benefit this year , just not as much. But who in hell REALLY knows and understands?

You are correct, this was the first step in the Players association stepping in and halting deals before the end of the season.. more players making it to free agency .. more money to be made in the bidding of those quality free agents..