De’Vondre Campbell

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
That might be what they are thinking. Either that or using Newman as the insurance policy and just walking away from Runyon in search of his replacement. I like Jon, but he had a rough year and I’m not sure he’s not already near Ceiling. We shall know shortly as many puzzle pieces will come together in a few days.
Unless he gets crazy $$$ I expect JRJ back. He isn't a turnstile, just not great. iOL are getting resigned before FA opens so the available pool is shrinking and the pricing is firming. If we can get him back for average money for 3-4 years, there are worse things that could happen than that. I'd rather upgrade him but Rhyan hasn't earned the gig so it shouldn't be handed to him. That's how we have Myers yet.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Unless he gets crazy $$$ I expect JRJ back. He isn't a turnstile, just not great. iOL are getting resigned before FA opens so the available pool is shrinking and the pricing is firming. If we can get him back for average money for 3-4 years, there are worse things that could happen than that. I'd rather upgrade him but Rhyan hasn't earned the gig so it shouldn't be handed to him. That's how we have Myers yet.
I have a feeling Runyon will get some crazy money thrown at him, from a team that is desperate to improve their OL. Would I like him back in GB? Sure, but nowhere near starter type money.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of being able to hang on to Runyan on a team friendly deal. Imo, he's an ideal backup IOL who already knows the playbook and all of his linemates. It remains to be seen if Rhyan can actually beat him out as a starter and I truly doubt a 2nd or 3rd round rookie guard could unseat him by the beginning of the season.

Reaction score
Very interesting. That establishes an early (at least, preliminary) pricing benchmark, and frankly, I see that as a very encouraging number.
Absolutely. Our problem is LA and now KC has gotten better production from Tranquil than we are from Devondre the last 2 seasons….
That just tells me Campbell is waaay overpaid as if he’s still playing like an All Pro.

Across 2022-2023 seasons combined

Player A making $6.33mil/year

33 games played
1 INT
5 PD
3 FF/1 FR
9.5 Sacks
224 Tackles/148 Solo
17 TFL
15 QB hits

Player B making $10.0mil/year
24 games played
2 INT/1 TD
4 PD
0 FF/1 FR
O Sacks
169 Tackles/102 Solo
9 TFL
3 QB Hits

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Word on the street is that Wednesday Campbell will become a post-June 1st release, saving GBP $10.5mil on the '24 cap (as of 6/02). Most of us figured would happen, so not a shock.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely. Our problem is LA and now KC has gotten better production from Tranquil than we are from Devondre the last 2 seasons….
That just tells me Campbell is waaay overpaid as if he’s still playing like an All Pro.
He's not overpaid anymore.... we just added $10M cap space.

That money is better spent on a safety.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Will there be any dead cap money applied to 24 or 25 years?

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will there be any dead cap money applied to 24 or 25 years?

Yes. The remaining salary bonus hits have to come due. By declaring him a post-June 1 cut, we get to split the hit over 24 and 25. The catch is that we don't get to use the freed cap space until June 1.

Teams typically do this to help themselves (they don't have to pay roster bonuses when they plan to cut a player) and it's nice to the player. It gives them a chance to latch on to a new team earlier.

No real downside.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So basically there’s the money for our rookie pool? Or do we have to reserve that in advance?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per OTC will count $3.657 dead $ towards the '24 cap, but will free-up $10.573mil in cap AFTER 6/01/24. His '25 dead money is the remaining SB which is $7.971mil.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what I read, was the it was $7M+ of dead cap next year. This was the right move. I really liked the Campbell pickup. He played great for a season, but wasn't able to follow it up. Whether its injuries or otherwise (attitude), this was no longer a good deal for the team.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious to see whether we sign him back on a cheaper one-year deal. Gutekunst said several times last week that he does want him back; just didn't happen to mention any figures.

I don't know if they'd risk a multi-year contract, or much guaranteed money, but somewhere there's a number that Gutekunst thinks is the proper value for Campbell. Just remains to be seen where that number lies.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious to see whether we sign him back on a cheaper one-year deal. Gutekunst said several times last week that he does want him back; just didn't happen to mention any figures.

I don't know if they'd risk a multi-year contract, or much guaranteed money, but somewhere there's a number that Gutekunst thinks is the proper value for Campbell. Just remains to be seen where that number lies.
I think Gute was "talking him up" in public to help him potentially salvage his remaining playing days. Gute can & will find better, younger, cheaper players to play ILB moving forward. No need to re-sign Campbell, imho.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes. The remaining salary bonus hits have to come due. By declaring him a post-June 1 cut, we get to split the hit over 24 and 25. The catch is that we don't get to use the freed cap space until June 1.

Teams typically do this to help themselves (they don't have to pay roster bonuses when they plan to cut a player) and it's nice to the player. It gives them a chance to latch on to a new team earlier.

No real downside.
Unless they have changed the rules, a team is allowed to do this with up to 2 players/contracts per year. I would expect them to do this with both Campbell and Bahk.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless they have changed the rules, a team is allowed to do this with up to 2 players/contracts per year. I would expect them to do this with both Campbell and Bahk.

I don't think there is any benefit to Bahk. He only has one year remaining. You have to have at least 2 years for that to applicable.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Do not believe the rookie pool is computed and counted against the cap until after the draft since picks could change.
Can't hardly be before the player even signs his contract and that doesn't happen for a while.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think there is any benefit to Bahk. He only has one year remaining. You have to have at least 2 years for that to applicable.
Good catch and I am pretty sure I pointed that out in a previous post, so I contradicted myself. :whistling:

Release or Trade the Dead Cap hits all in 2024

2024 Dead Cap: $19,065,514

2025 Dead Cap: $0

2024 Cap Savings: $20,952,797

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't hardly be before the player even signs his contract and that doesn't happen for a while.

From what I've read in the past, it is like a cap within a cap. They come up with a rookie cap number based on the slotting and then believe everyone takes an immediate cap hit of the minimum rookie salary which then increases when the contract is signed, but the overall rookie cap number is set post draft.

Members online