Davon House

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read the Jags are cutting House loose! Was wondering how many fans would like to see him back in Green+Gold! He had his ups and down while in GreenBay, but we could use him the shape our CB position is. If we draft a rookie CB and bring in House it would help strengthen the position. I would rather get back Hayward but it is what it is!!!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers at least know for sure that he can be a solid player in their system. He flopped in JAX, but that scheme is signficantly different. There's a case to be made for House over a guy like Kirkpatrick. The latter has played better more recently, but House is more of a known quantity in Green Bay.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers at least know for sure that he can be a solid player in their system. He flopped in JAX, but that scheme is signficantly different. There's a case to be made for House over a guy like Kirkpatrick. The latter has played better more recently, but House is more of a known quantity in Green Bay.
And House would probably be cheaper than Kirkpatrick!

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a reason we let him go and if he can't make the jags team hmmmm

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a reason we let him go and if he can't make the jags team hmmmm

Actually he was pretty solid in Green Bay. They let him go because TT didn't wanna pay him. Plain and simple. If he wanted to come back I'd be all for it. He knows Capers garbage scheme already .

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
TT rarely resigns players once they leave. The whole "contaminated by association with another team" thing he seems to have. Avoids other teams players like the plague.
I'd have no problem bringing House back to compete for the nickel / 2nd slot. He doesn't fit the shutdown corner position though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Simply put, the Jags found out the hard way that House was not worth $6M/year. Another example of a mid tier guy getting way too much in Free Agency. The Packers have enough guys like House as it is and I still am holding out hope for Randall and Rollins to be better than what we saw in 2016. We need a #1 CB and House isn't that guy IMO, spend the money they would spend on House and saved on Shields and get THAT guy.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Simply put, the Jags found out the hard way that House was not worth $6M/year. Another example of a mid tier guy getting way too much in Free Agency. The Packers have enough guys like House as it is and I still am holding out hope for Randall and Rollins to be better than what we saw in 2016. We need a #1 CB and House isn't that guy IMO, spend the money they would spend on House and saved on Shields and get THAT guy.
I get what your saying with Randall and Rollins hopefully making improvements and all that but House would be much needed depth. Both those guys have shown they get hampered by small injuries and House would be there to step up if that happens. Also dont necessarily think House would cost much maybe 3mil per ball park with all the other CBs going to cash in he would come cheap. I am with you about our CBs though Gunter, Rollins and Randall all are young players that should be better with another training camp and all. But House for cheap would be nice!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT rarely resigns players once they leave. The whole "contaminated by association with another team" thing he seems to have. Avoids other teams players like the plague.
I'd have no problem bringing House back to compete for the nickel / 2nd slot. He doesn't fit the shutdown corner position though.

While that's generally true he did bring back Ahman Green so there was an exception to the rule.

For cheap, I think House would be a good depth/nickel back signing. We need to add more than 1 body this offseason and he's young enough where I think he'd probably be a better return project than someone like Tramon Williams.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that's generally true he did bring back Ahman Green so there was an exception to the rule.

For cheap, I think House would be a good depth/nickel back signing. We need to add more than 1 body this offseason and he's young enough where I think he'd probably be a better return project than someone like Tramon Williams.
Much better option than Tramon. TT also brought back James Jones!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There's no guarantee that House comes back and is the same player he was in GB before he left. However, he's young enough that that very well could be the case. He wasn't a world beater, but he was a solid pro starter by the end. In my opinion, the player he was his last year in GB would have been considerably better than any corner who played significant time last season.

So if they believe he can come back and be the same guy, absolutely I think they should go get him.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For cheap, I think House would be a good depth/nickel back signing.

Much better option than Tramon. TT also brought back James Jones!

Unless someone out there is willing to pay a lot for him, yes, I think we could bring him into camp to compete for little in guarantees. And TT brought back Matt Flynn too. Could be low risk chance.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tryout?? Sure!! Good with man coverage....awful with zone. Team desperately could use a guy with man skills. Kirkpatrick is my target for TT however House could be worth a look...cheap look.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The jags learned what we all knew, he wasn't worth that much money. IMO, he's Gunter, or on that level with a slightly different skill set. Probably a tad better, but not a shut down guy and will always need help with #1's

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They need to give Hyde a shot to take the outside spot if the resign him. He's the best tackling, and cover corner that they have. I don't wanna hear about lack of speed because if Gunter can play on the outside?? Than speed obviously doesn't matter to the Packers or the staff...it's just a bonus to them.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Or James Jones . . .

House may have relaxed after the big payday. Maybe getting cut reminded him he needs to keep up the hard work. I liked him, I would give him a shot.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hyde outside??? He is SLOW as hell.

Again!!! I'm tired of hearing people use that ....Gunter is probably the slowest CB in the league. So again. That argument has become invalid. Him not being on the outside obviously has nothing to do with his speed. New argument

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Again!!! I'm tired of hearing people use that ....Gunter is probably the slowest CB in the league. So again. That argument has become invalid. Him not being on the outside obviously has nothing to do with his speed. New argument

Hyde outside doesn't make sense, as man coverage isn't his strong suit. He's much better off when he can free lance in the middle and make plays as a blitzer or robber.

Also, they obviously never intended for Gunter to be a starter. Injuries forced him there. So why would you use that as your reasoning for why they don't value speed on the perimeter? Surely you can understand that a slow corner getting pressed into action isn't the same thing as speed not being a valued trait.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just read the Jags are cutting House loose! Was wondering how many fans would like to see him back in Green+Gold! He had his ups and down while in GreenBay, but we could use him the shape our CB position is. If we draft a rookie CB and bring in House it would help strengthen the position. I would rather get back Hayward but it is what it is!!!

I wouldn't mind the Packers signing House to a reasonable contract to add more depth to the cornerback position but the team shouldn't think about him being a #1 cornerback. Thompson would still need to add a shutdown CB.

They need to give Hyde a shot to take the outside spot if the resign him. He's the best tackling, and cover corner that they have. I don't wanna hear about lack of speed because if Gunter can play on the outside?? Than speed obviously doesn't matter to the Packers or the staff...it's just a bonus to them.

Hyde isn't suited to play on the outside. The Packers need to add a perimeter cornerback to cover opposing #1 receivers.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Hyde is not an outside corner! He played there in a pinch last year.

House would be a great sign to add depth along the secondary.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts