Davon House

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a reason we let him go and if he can't make the jags team hmmmm

You say that like it's a terrible thing, but the Jags had a top 5 pass defense in 2016, we were 32nd. The Jaguars secondary was a massive upgrade from ours.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
House is younger, it's not like tramon being released and knowing his skills are in the downhill skid into retirement. He was an overpaid FA and that team let him go. I imagine he can still play as a solid defender, but can not be expected to be THE guy. For the right price I'd definitely bring him back. I was happy we didn't over pay to keep him, and I'd gladly take him back when the price is right too.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For the record, Dom Capers' defense and Gus Bradley's are on opposite ends of the NFL spectrum. So while it's no guarantee that House could come back and just all of the sudden be the guy he was before, there's also a logical explanation for why he might be fine back in Green Bay after struggling in Jacksonville.

D

Deleted member 6794

What are our options? Yell and scream on chat boards?

Well, there's nothing we can do about Thompson not being more active in free agency. I would expect more displeasure about it on a forum solely dedicated to the Packers though especially in the situation the team is currently in at cornerback and possibly outside linebacker.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
House will still cost too much even at 2 million per year. The Packers just don't have the cap space to take gambles on players that have been rejected for lack of production twice. If House was average he would stick around but he's not. He might take the secondary from worst to 30th in the league but that's not good enough. The Packers are better off on signing a better player and getting the most from their available cap dollars.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is 2M a 'gamble'? In NFL salary cap terms, it's pocket change.

And he wasn't 'rejected from the Packers for lack of production.'

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we could have signed him for 2 million last time around, he'd still be here.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, there's nothing we can do about Thompson not being more active in free agency. I would expect more displeasure about it on a forum solely dedicated to the Packers though especially in the situation the team is currently in at cornerback and possibly outside linebacker.
Maybe I'm caught up in the symantics, but you indicated that you expect him to do X, Y, and Z. I don't expect him to jump out into the first tier FA market. I would like him to do some of the things that you've mentioned, including maybe take a swing at a top FA, but I don't get worked up on here because as PappaSan pointed out, it doesn't do any good.

As I'm sure that you know, I'm pretty comfortable with what the Packers have done over the past decade. Sure I'd love it if they'd won ten titles in that timeframe. I think there's definitely tinkering that can be done to procure better players but I'm proud of how well they've consistently done. If we were the Cleveland Browns or the Jacksonville Jaguars, I surely would be a lot more vocal and demanding.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
House will still cost too much even at 2 million per year. The Packers just don't have the cap space to take gambles on players that have been rejected for lack of production twice. If House was average he would stick around but he's not. He might take the secondary from worst to 30th in the league but that's not good enough. The Packers are better off on signing a better player and getting the most from their available cap dollars.

He wasnt rejected for lack of production, the team just didn't feel they could match what he wanted. If they could have kept him for $2 mill per year they would have.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be extremely disappointing if the Packers only add House and a draft pick at cornerback this offseason.

Depends on the draft pick, if you had to beef up your pass defense this is the year to do it with a rich stable of CB prospects and pass rushers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Guessing there will be a few more Davon House like players on the market, Chargers just saved themselves roughly $7M by cutting CB Brandon Flowers. My #1 goal in the FA market would be a top CB, not a House or a Flowers. Use the money saved when Shields was cut and combine that with what it would cost to retain Hyde. Use a mid round draft pick on a CB, add those 2 players to the other 7 guys that we currently have under contract at the position and it will be a competitive camp with hopefully the end result being a vast improvement over 2016.

I am starting to view the 2016 situation at CB as a bit of a parallel to the 2015 situation at WR. Going into both seasons, those positions were viewed as positions of strength as well as depth. Then your #1 player at the position goes down, Jordy at WR in 2015 and Shields at CB in 2016. Both seasons were spent trying to find that guy who could step into that #1 position and because of youth, lack of experience/talent and injuries, pretty much a struggle all season long. In 2016 Jordy comes back as the #1 WR and all is eventually well with the position. In 2017 we aren't getting Sam Shields back and I don't see anyone currently on the roster that looked like a #1 last year. So sure signing guys like House or another mid tier FA may look like it is addressing the problem, but its basically like signing James Jones in 2015, adding more mid tier talent, which we already have.

Imagine what the Packers 2016 season would have been like had Jordy suffered a career ending injury in 2015 and TT went out and only signed a mid tier FA last year to replace him.

Fix the problem TT, don't prolong it.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 years ago was so much more than losing Jordy though. There was the Lacy issue. Then there was an offensive line that was constantly injured and in flux. Players rotated in and out weekly and guys playing on injuries that needed surgery as soon as the season ended.

This year our oline were durable and our backups much more capable when they did have to step in. Along with Jordy, Adams physically was different and it had nothing to do with Jordy. Montgomery was done as soon as he started really contributing. Cobb had a separated shoulder all year. It was so much more than Jordy.

And I agree, last year was very similar in that we lost Shields and then had no healthy play behind him and it magnified the problem, but I really think it was because of that, not lack of talent.

I'll take a mid tier guy. Let him compete for a job. At least five us depth, but then it won't matter if health is like it was last year. Someone brought up the lions game in another thread. Randall enters the game with a bad shoulder, leaves with a bad knee. An off injured himself Rollins comes in battling his own physical limitations and lack of practice all year too and then leaves on a stretcher, and Dorleant leaves injured and is back on IR, and now Hyde is moved to a perimeter position and it seems wth every drive there are new defenders out there in new positions week after week. I don't want to hear how other teams deal with it, because if they have to, they aren't winning enough to even matter.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
2 years ago was so much more than losing Jordy though. There was the Lacy issue. Then there was an offensive line that was constantly injured and in flux. Players rotated in and out weekly and guys playing on injuries that needed surgery as soon as the season ended.

This year our oline were durable and our backups much more capable when they did have to step in. Along with Jordy, Adams physically was different and it had nothing to do with Jordy. Montgomery was done as soon as he started really contributing. Cobb had a separated shoulder all year. It was so much more than Jordy.

And I agree, last year was very similar in that we lost Shields and then had no healthy play behind him and it magnified the problem, but I really think it was because of that, not lack of talent.

I'll take a mid tier guy. Let him compete for a job. At least five us depth, but then it won't matter if health is like it was last year. Someone brought up the lions game in another thread. Randall enters the game with a bad shoulder, leaves with a bad knee. An off injured himself Rollins comes in battling his own physical limitations and lack of practice all year too and then leaves on a stretcher, and Dorleant leaves injured and is back on IR, and now Hyde is moved to a perimeter position and it seems wth every drive there are new defenders out there in new positions week after week. I don't want to hear how other teams deal with it, because if they have to, they aren't winning enough to even matter.

While I see what you are saying, there were other injuries on the defense that for sure didn't help out the CB positions as well (Burnett, Matthews, Ryan, Martinez), much like what you referred to with 2015 with injuries on the offense and how they effected the WR position.

The bottom line for me is this, will the CB position be improved enough by only adding a 2nd tier FA and a rookie? I have legit doubts about that at least for 2017. That still leaves the Packers every game exposed when facing a good QB and a good WR and not being able to stop them or while having to over commit to stopping one guy, another is freed up. Now if TT, MM and DC are fully convinced that the short comings of the current players at CB were fully due to injuries, than they may roll the dice with the current group and see what happens.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they have players when healthy to at least be good enough in the defensive backfield and they're good enough to be more than that IF we fix our pass rush. It must be more consistent. If we don't fix that I don't care who we bring in, high priced, or draft pick, it won't be enough.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are our options? Yell and scream on chat boards? Turn in our long awaited for season tickets? Picket Lombardi avenue in waves of mass protest? Shoot Ted's dog (IDK if he has one)? Just because I choose to not do any of them does not mean I need to sit in my own funk and stew about it.

Could someone just shoot Ted?? :cautious:
I kid:whistling:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they have players when healthy to at least be good enough in the defensive backfield and they're good enough to be more than that IF we fix our pass rush. It must be more consistent. If we don't fix that I don't care who we bring in, high priced, or draft pick, it won't be enough.

Guys in the backend can't cover. The pass rush needs fixing yes, but the corners can't cover . You can put JJ watt, and Khalil Mack in GB and all that would mean is the QB getting hit a lot while completing a high percentage of his passes. They suck that bad.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes they can, we've seen them all do it before. It seems you can't remember back far enough. Randall and Rollins were both just fine as rookies.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I keep reading articles and seeing the term for the time frame that covers the next 2 days as "Legal Tampering" Than I look up the word "Tampering" and find "exert a secret or corrupt influence upon"...just how do they justify putting the word "Legal" in front of that?

Can they just call these two damn days "The FA Negotiation Dance" or "FA Foreplay"?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I agree, one hand washes the other. I opt for improving both the Pass Rush and the CB position and we can be done blaming either of them and Capers for not making it the the Super Bowl.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, one hand washes the other. I opt for improving both the Pass Rush and the CB position and we can be done blaming either of them and Capers for not making it the the Super Bowl.

Capers was and still is an idiot for leaving Gunter singled up against Jones. He cost us at least 21 points by doing that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well i'd like them both to be improved as well. But I think it's going to take more investment to improve our pass rush and it's more important. Having just spent 2 high picks on DB's, they're going to give more time to them to develop and I think at least 1 of them is going to be very good, they both have potential though to both be very good players.

But I think with a mid level vet added it will do more IF the pass rush is addressed more so than tossing a big investment into a DB. I don't think we have enough to keep core guys and pay a lot to both positions without killing the future and I don't think we need to kill the future to get better either.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bringing him back on a cheap deal is a no brainer. I'm pretty sure House actually had a decent to good year in 2015, but got benched last year because he was complaining about the scheme.

He also is better than Goodson, Gunter, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts