Dave Robinson Named to the NFL Hall of Fame

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Put chicago on notice, we are coming after them for most hall of famers from a team

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I've seen Dave Robinson play as a youth (12-14 years old)...I really don't remember him as being Hall of Fame ... not saying he wasn't, I'm just saying I don't remember it. I'm constantly astounded that Kramer keeps getting passed up. He MUST have pissed someone off a long, long time ago.

Oh... almost forgot... Congratulations to Dave Robinson.

D

Dan115

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I've seen Dave Robinson play as a youth (12-14 years old)...I really don't remember him as being Hall of Fame ... not saying he wasn't, I'm just saying I don't remember it. I'm constantly astounded that Kramer keeps getting passed up. He MUST have pissed someone off a long, long time ago.

Oh... almost forgot... Congratulations to Dave Robinson.

I am very proud to say I saw Robby play and remember him making big plays in Big Games, (66 vs Jonny U) (66 NFL Championship game in Dallas just to name a few)

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I've seen Dave Robinson play as a youth (12-14 years old)...I really don't remember him as being Hall of Fame ... not saying he wasn't, I'm just saying I don't remember it.

I was 8 - 13 years old during Robinson's first six seasons before we moved from Milwaukee to Pittsburgh. My recollection is the same as yours.

However, in retrospect, Robinson's rep suffered from being the youngest "sibling" in a very talented family, even among the adult fans of the time. Jordan, Davis, Nitschke, Wood and Adderley joined the Packers between '57 and '61 and starred on all 5 of the Lombardi championship teams. By the time Robinson arrived in '63, with 2 championships already in the books, the tendency of fans would have been to view him as a nice bolt-on addition to a star-studded cast.

Robinson was a 3-time Pro Bowler, 1-time first team All-Pro, and named to the 1960's All-Decade team.

Then again, Tommy Nobis, a Robinson contemporary, was a 5-time Pro Bowler, a 1-time first team All-Pro, and also named to the 1960's All-Decade team as a MLB. Nobis doesn't surface in any conversations about future HOF selections except perhaps among 40+ year old Falcons fans.

So, what differentiates Robinson and Nobis?

Robinson has 3 rings; Nobis played on losing teams. Fair or not, it matters in the voting.

More importantly, though, it could be fairly argued that Robinson, together with Bobby Bell, were the prototypes for today's multi-tool OLBs...physical and fast...run stop, cover and blitz. Nobis, on the other hand, has a hard time standing up against the many legends of the game who played MLB.

You have to give points to guys who help redefine a position.

In summary, I think it's fair to say Robinson does not qualify as a legend, but he's a worthy selection if somewhat borderline.

D

Dan115

When I think of Robby in 1966 vs Johnny U and that NFL championship game vs cowgirls--- Game winning plays!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congratulations to Dave Robinson.

You made a lot of great points HRE. One quasi-additional point about why Rombinson over a guy like Nobis, is that at this stage of the game, if you didn't make it in on merits alone back in the day - which neither of these two did - then the only thing that modern voters see that attracts their attention is championship success.

There was a big push for Kramer this past year. I think that there was a discussion on her about it if you want to dig up the thread. There is more than one reason why Kramer appears to be blacklisted from the HOF

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts