Darn Cheeseheads love their QB's too much

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
But according to a recent poll, Rodgers is not just popular in Wisconsin. He’s insanely popular.
According to Public Policy Polling (PPP), based in Raleigh, N.C., Rodgers is viewed favorably by 89% of the 1,170 Wisconsin voters it surveyed from Oct. 20-23. Only 4% had an unfavorable opinion of him. A total of 7% answered not sure.
PPP said it has never in its polling experience encountered a favorable percentage as high as the one for Rodgers.
Respondents were asked the same question about other Wisconsin sports figures:
  • Packers coach Mike McCarthy (77% favorable, 7% unfavorable, 16% not sure)
  • Wisconsin football coach Bret Bielema (48% favorable, 8% unfavorable, 44% not sure)
  • Former Packers quarterback Brett Favre (41% favorable, 45% unfavorable, 15% not sure)
Respondents were asked to pick the greatest quarterback in Packers history among Arnie Herber, Bart Starr, Favre and Rodgers.

A total of 36% picked Rodgers as the greatest, followed by Favre (29%), Starr (23%) and Herber (2%). A total of 10% said they were not sure who the greatest Packers quarterback was.

I really find that interesting about Rodgers being the best q/b in history..

But only 1170 people surveyed....I really hate surveys though when not a lot of people are polled..

I like it better then an online poll because it will be skewed by multiple votes...

OP
OP
Powarun

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I really find that interesting about Rodgers being the best q/b in history..

I figured its the younger generation not appreciating history as much and just living it now.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I like how Herber had only 2% of the votes as the best Packers QB. How many people are still around from the era he played in.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I figured its the younger generation not appreciating history as much and just living it now.
Yes, what have you done for me lately? After Lindy Infante’s 1989 Packers executed several “miracle” comebacks (“Majik” was the QB) to get to 10-6 a Wisconsin radio station did a poll of where Infante stood in the history of Packers’ HCs. While they missed the playoffs that year it was the Packers’ best season since the ’72 season and that was good enough (or the previous decade-and-a-half bad enough) for Infante to finish ahead of Lambeau and Lombardi in what I’m sure was an unscientific poll.

Objectively it will take several championships for any Packers HC to eclipse Lambeau and Lombardi. So I was happy to see Vince still doing well with current Packers fans. But it is human nature to ask, what have you done for me lately? So it's no surprise the QBs are in reverse chronological order.

It’s great Rodgers is so popular. I hope it doesn’t go to his head – I don’t think it will. And I hope the Packers’ front office takes a look at this poll regarding a certain former Packers’ QB.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Well let's be honest here.

Favre brought karma among himself.

So with Rodgers, the only people that hated him to begin with was the Favre fans, you know the typical "You ran your quarterback outta town" BS. And now that Rodgers is a winner, Favre fans that still shout that non sense have shut up for good, well most of them, I'm sure you can still find one that will say we screwed Favre, once in a blue moon.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not going to talk about Herber because the game and the position were just so different in his day that it's almost impossible to compare and I'm not going to go in detail about Starr because he is the benchmark by which the others will be compared. Here's my take.

Favre was the best QB in Packer history for a period of about 4 or 5 years. If he had retired early after losing SB XXXII, he might have retained that position in my mind. But from that point on, he was a horrible playoff QB, with a 1:1 TD:INT ratio and losing several games on late INTs. He is also credited with all three Packer home playoff losses. During that 10 year span, he steadily slid back behind Starr. We did win more games solely relying on Favre's arm that we did solely relying on Starr's arm. But we also lost WAY more games due to Favre than we ever lost due to Starr. Starr also won 2 Superbowls (not that that is the best measure of a QB's greatness).

Rodgers obviously can do just about anything Favre ever could -- escapability, making big plays out of busted plays, hitting the deep throw, threading the needle, distributing the ball, anticipation, field vision. But there a few things Rodgers does much better -- picking up yards on the ground, back shoulder throws (NOBODY is better than #12 at these), accuracy and decision-making. That's not to say Favre wasn't better at some things, like shovel passes, pretending to throw after a handoff, jawing at defenders, sideline pranks, etc. But the fact that Rodgers does all these things without all the stupid mistakes Favre was prone to makes him clearly the better QB. I don't think you'd find too many in the football world who would dispute that. Well, other than Favre anyway. Rodgers clearly learned a lot by watching Favre for 3 years, including how NOT to be a great QB.

So what about Rodgers and Starr? Well, I think Rodgers combines all the best attributes of Favre with the best attributes of Starr. He has all the abilities listed in the previous paragraph, but he does it with Starr's discipline and methodical precision. He can do anything Favre and Starr ever could, but he can also do a few things those guys didn't do as well.

Now a lot depends on how Rodgers proceeds through his career, but I just don't see anything close to a repeat of Favre's last few years (in Green Bay). At this point, I see it like this:

1. Rodgers by a hair over

2. Starr by a wide margin over

3. Favre

Depending on what happens over the rest of his career, Rodgers can either widen his lead over Starr or drop back close to Favre, but if I'm betting, I would go with the former.

BTW, these aren't only the top three QBs in Packer history. They're the top three in NFC Central/North history.

Members online

Latest posts