Dantzler a possible impact player?

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we have mentioned this guy a few times but the more I read/watch of him the more intrigued I am becoming. This kid has the ideal size and speed to be a solid ILB in this league and the kind of mindset you wish more guys had. I know he didn't play at one of the major programs but the fact he did play for the same school as Nick Collins makes me think, why not?!?! His numbers are just about identical to those of Clay Matthews (40, vert, length) and we all know that Clay's athleticism is maybe his biggest asset other than his motor which T.D. seems to have as well. I am in no way saying he is going to be the next CMIII type player just that he has a fantastic skill set with the athleticism to put him where he needs to be to make plays. I am in the camp of you can either play or you can't. Yes, competition does play into the equation but if you can run, be physical and learn the playbook I see no reason why being from a smaller school precludes you from being a good pro. Some of you may have read these articles already but for those of you who haven't I would ask you take a few minutes and read up this young man that I believe may end up being a solid player for us. Upside is the word I think of with this kid and his tape is a super-fun watch as well...enjoy.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-versatile-tool-in-green-bay-packers-defense

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...-job-at-linebacker-b99504880z1-304664871.html

D

Deleted member 6794

I know we have mentioned this guy a few times but the more I read/watch of him the more intrigued I am becoming. This kid has the ideal size and speed to be a solid ILB in this league and the kind of mindset you wish more guys had. I know he didn't play at one of the major programs but the fact he did play for the same school as Nick Collins makes me think, why not?!?! His numbers are just about identical to those of Clay Matthews (40, vert, length) and we all know that Clay's athleticism is maybe his biggest asset other than his motor which T.D. seems to have as well. I am in no way saying he is going to be the next CMIII type player just that he has a fantastic skill set with the athleticism to put him where he needs to be to make plays. I am in the camp of you can either play or you can't. Yes, competition does play into the equation but if you can run, be physical and learn the playbook I see no reason why being from a smaller school precludes you from being a good pro. Some of you may have read these articles already but for those of you who haven't I would ask you take a few minutes and read up this young man that I believe may end up being a solid player for us. Upside is the word I think of with this kid and his tape is a super-fun watch as well...enjoy.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-versatile-tool-in-green-bay-packers-defense

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...-job-at-linebacker-b99504880z1-304664871.html

I read the Journal Sentinel article and it seems like Dantzler has the work ethic needed to be succesful at the pro level. We'll have to wait and see if he's talented enough to first of all make the final roster.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here's the comparison between Matthews and Dantzler from the jsonline article linked above:
Dantzler ran the 40-yard dash in 4.61 seconds, posted a 35½-inch vertical leap and has 34½-inch arms....Matthews ran a 4.67 with a 35½-inch vertical out of USC and has 32¼-inch arms.
Clay was/is heavier though.

Dantzler's coach says him becoming a father motivated him and:
"The one thing the kid knows how to do is he knows how to work, he knows how to compete....He definitely has the attitude. And he's not taking a back seat to anybody for any reason."
He likes to hit and has good size but in addition to the huge step up in talent he'll be facing he will have to switch from SSLB in a 4-3 to ILB. Of course I wish him the best of luck - I don't who emerges at ILB, just so someone does.

BTW, read the jsonline article to see who called him after he signed with the Packers.

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a sleeper who could very take that ILB spot next to Sam.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another "we'll see" player.

Be honest, as fans is there really a player we don't get excited about. I'm sure there are lots of guys that have a great work ethic who just can't cut it. Yeah it is probably better to read articles like this than ones that say stuff like "Packers sign another run of the mill guy" but in the end most of them turn out to be just that, run of the mill guys.

If he ends up starting I hope its because he has the talent to be a starter and not because he is the best among a group of JAGS.

H

HardRightEdge

Be honest, as fans is there really a player we don't get excited about.
To be honest, as a fan, I don't get excited about any rookie, including first round picks, until I see them play against NFL competition.

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another "we'll see" player.
Let's be honest here, a ton of players other than a handful are "we'll see" players from year to year. Many guys show up and have one killer year only to end up toiling in mediocrity season after season. Doug Martin was the toast of the league and now he's a bum. Derek Anderson throws for almost 4,000 yards, 29 TD's and goes 10-5 as the starter and pretty much vanishes. WR Drew Bennett puts up 1,200 yards and 11 TD's to be followed by a bunch of 700 yard seasons. RB Steve Slaton blows up for almost 1,300 yards rushing and near 1,700 APY's and follows that up with 437 yards rushing in 11 games only to be replaced by some undrafted no-name you may have heard of...Arian Foster. I could go on and on but my point is most players are a crap shoot from year to year and could easily be considered "we'll see's." This is a what have you done for me lately league and your name, draft position, etc. doesn't guarantee you anything other than a chance to compete (unless your name is Khyri Thornton). We could put the "we'll see" tag on pretty much every single post on this board as most of what we do here is predict what the future will bring. We have a pretty glaring need at ILB and this is a kid that has a legitimate chance to compete for said spot so I thought the post somewhat relevant. But we'll see...

TJV: The one and only Nick Collins was the one that made the call. I can imagine it was a big thrill for that young man to get that call from such a stud like 36, huh?! I think it's a nice story and the fact remains this kid has some serious skills that hopefully carry over into the league and ultimately our benefit! But as always, we'll see. :)

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB is going to be an interesting position to watch this year in the pre-season. In addition to Dantzler, Joe Thomas could be intriguing, and possibly Carl Bradford, Nate Palmer, and 4th-round pick Jake Ryan. I'd say the position next to Barrington is wide-open - should be fun.

I can see why they let Hawk, Jones, and Lattimore go.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does it seem like we are seeing less and less busts these days from draft picks? I remember a time back in the 80s and 90s where well over half of the 1st rounders in any particular draft never panned out. Are players being coached better in College? Is it because players are just getting bigger, faster and better across the board? Are NFL scouts better?

I cannot remember a draft in recent memory where I can say "the first rounders all sucked besides these few players".....

Yeah, you'll still see the top pick or top 3-5 picks bust sometimes...but that seems more aimed at the QB position.

H

HardRightEdge

Let's be honest here, a ton of players other than a handful are "we'll see" players from year to year. Many guys show up and have one killer year only to end up toiling in mediocrity season after season. Doug Martin was the toast of the league and now he's a bum. Derek Anderson throws for almost 4,000 yards, 29 TD's and goes 10-5 as the starter and pretty much vanishes. WR Drew Bennett puts up 1,200 yards and 11 TD's to be followed by a bunch of 700 yard seasons. RB Steve Slaton blows up for almost 1,300 yards rushing and near 1,700 APY's and follows that up with 437 yards rushing in 11 games only to be replaced by some undrafted no-name you may have heard of...Arian Foster. I could go on and on but my point is most players are a crap shoot from year to year and could easily be considered "we'll see's." This is a what have you done for me lately league and your name, draft position, etc. doesn't guarantee you anything other than a chance to compete (unless your name is Khyri Thornton). We could put the "we'll see" tag on pretty much every single post on this board as most of what we do here is predict what the future will bring. We have a pretty glaring need at ILB and this is a kid that has a legitimate chance to compete for said spot so I thought the post somewhat relevant. But we'll see...

TJV: The one and only Nick Collins was the one that made the call. I can imagine it was a big thrill for that young man to get that call from such a stud like 36, huh?! I think it's a nice story and the fact remains this kid has some serious skills that hopefully carry over into the league and ultimately our benefit! But as always, we'll see. :)
I think you made my point. That doesn't mean there is not a basis for discussion. However, going fan boy overboard on every free agent who walks in the door is a bit much.

H

HardRightEdge

Is it just me, or does it seem like we are seeing less and less busts these days from draft picks?
Nick Perry, Datone Jones.

Across the league, there have been plenty of first round busts.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

ILB is going to be an interesting position to watch this year in the pre-season. In addition to Dantzler, Joe Thomas could be intriguing, and possibly Carl Bradford, Nate Palmer, and 4th-round pick Jake Ryan. I'd say the position next to Barrington is wide-open - should be fun.

I can see why they let Hawk, Jones, and Lattimore go.

I completely agree with releasing Hawk and Jones as well as letting Lattimore walk in free agency. The battle for starting spots at ILB should be wide open, unfortunately most likely because of a lack of talent though. Barrington was a sure tackler and average in coverage but didn't have enough stops in the run game last season. Maybe I'm the only one but I'm not convinced his starting job is safe.

Is it just me, or does it seem like we are seeing less and less busts these days from draft picks? I remember a time back in the 80s and 90s where well over half of the 1st rounders in any particular draft never panned out. Are players being coached better in College? Is it because players are just getting bigger, faster and better across the board? Are NFL scouts better?

I cannot remember a draft in recent memory where I can say "the first rounders all sucked besides these few players".....

Yeah, you'll still see the top pick or top 3-5 picks bust sometimes...but that seems more aimed at the QB position.

Teams picked up the fifth year option for only 41 out of 64 first round picks over the last two seasons. There are still numerous first round picks not working out.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Barrington is a shoe in either, but he was injured and out, then came back year 2 and worked his way on to the field. Albeit, surpassing 2 guys we desperately needed to replace, but he still played his way on. I'm looking for him to continue that improvement in the scheme of this defense and keep his position, but i wouldn't say i feel that strongly about his level of play or that I wouldn't be happy if someone else could beat him out for the position. BUT if they find someone capable to play next to him, I think our ILB's will be much improved over last year (minus Clay)

D

Deleted member 6794

BUT if they find someone capable to play next to him, I think our ILB's will be much improved over last year (minus Clay)

I agree that if there's an average inside linebacker within the group currently on the roster the Packers will get improved play out of the position.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I get not getting excited about rookies until they play against NFL players but I don’t see the harm in learning more about the rookies vying for roster spots. And IMO the OP had enough caveats to exclude it from “fan boy overboard” territory.

Obviously the odds are against Dantzler but Packers are more justified in exploring the credentials of UDFAs than fans of any other franchise. And regarding Dantzler in particular, Pete Dougherty listed him as one of three undrafted rookies to keep an eye on. Pete’s opinion doesn’t carry a lot of weight but I don’t think he’s fan boy overboard about any UDFAs either.

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get not getting excited about rookies until they play against NFL players but I don’t see the harm in learning more about the rookies vying for roster spots. And IMO the OP had enough caveats to exclude it from “fan boy overboard” territory.

Obviously the odds are against Dantzler but Packers are more justified in exploring the credentials of UDFAs than fans of any other franchise. And regarding Dantzler in particular, Pete Dougherty listed him as one of three undrafted rookies to keep an eye on. Pete’s opinion doesn’t carry a lot of weight but I don’t think he’s fan boy overboard about any UDFAs either.
I thought I made it clear that he is no lock rather a candidate for the position. He has a ton of upside and with there being a obvious need for help at the ILB position I thought the post would shed some light on guy who's name will most certainly be in the hat. I didn't call him the next great Packer LB but as always each post is open to interpretation. Dantzler is an intriguing prospect and I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up making wave in camp but as always, we will see.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's absolutely true that UDFAs have a better chance of getting on the field in Green Bay as undrafted free agents have played a total of 77,709 snaps for the Packers since Thompson took over as GM. That numbers leads the league by a wide margin with the next closest team coming in at 54,105.

H

HardRightEdge

It's absolutely true that UDFAs have a better chance of getting on the field in Green Bay as undrafted free agents have played a total of 77,709 snaps for the Packers since Thompson took over as GM. That numbers leads the league by a wide margin with the next closest team coming in at 54,105.
I think you better double check that query.

Ted Thompson has been GM for 10 years.

77,709 / 10 = 7,771 snaps per year.

That's the equivalent of, on average, 7 players per year taking every snap on one side of the ball or the other. Even considering special teams snaps that's way too high a number by a few factors.

H

HardRightEdge

As discussed previously, over the 10 years of the Thompson regime there have been 3 UDFA players who made it to regular starter status on their merits and not as an injury replacement: Williams, Shields and EDS, with the latter not worthy of a post-RFA contract. I don't think I missed any.

As stated, I believe there is a basis for discussion. I did read the caveats; I also read the rest of it.

They're all worth "keeping an eye on", so long as it's one eye until there's a reason to use two.

Jean Fenor also hails from Bethune-Cookman as did Nick Collins, and Fenor plays safety! Perhaps we should keep an eye on him!

H

HardRightEdge

Seriously, I would not rule out Dantzler making the 53 man roster. There are certainly some spots open at the linebacker positions, but he'll have to prove his worth on special teams.

I think we can assume the following will make the roster:

Matthews
Peppers
Perry
Neal
Barrington
Ryan

That leaves perhaps 3 or 4 open spots for:

Bradford
Elliott
Francis
Hubbard
Mulumba
Palmer
Rasco
Thomas
Vaughters

I believe only 3 of those contenders have taken an NFL snap (Mulumba, Palmer and and Elliot), none of whom have distinguished themselves.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there were a position on our roster where an undrafted FA could make the team and start, its ILB.

H

HardRightEdge

If there were a position on our roster where an undrafted FA could make the team and start, its ILB.
Or OLB. Peppers, Perry, Neal and 1/2 of Matthews' time. There's one spot that's wide open. Next year there may be 3 or 4.

Members online

Latest posts