Current vs Future - Does MM & TT have the right idea?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...a below average offensive lineman his entire career

Which is true of just about every o lineman Campen has tutored. Sooner or later someone else should be given the chance to bounce a meatball. Either that or stop signing meat instead of balls.

D

Deleted member 6794

Which is true of just about every o lineman Campen has tutored.

Currently the depth chart of the Packers offensive line features several players that could be considered above average offensive linemen in Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Lang, Tretter and Linsley.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pressure coming up the middle because the OL was hurt and TT didn't have sufficient back up. Why give Bulaga the extension and not Sitton? Ever see Bulaga invited to a Pro Bowl? Has he ever played a complete season?

Geez. Never question Ted Thompson--Without him it would be back to the '70's/80's--Not.

Bulaga has had trouble staying healthy but none of the wear and tear injuries that Sitton has sustained over the years. I'll admit that I dont like it given the lack of depth inside, but Sitton's back problems were not getting better and his play did decline last year.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is true of just about every o lineman Campen has tutored. Sooner or later someone else should be given the chance to bounce a meatball. Either that or stop signing meat instead of balls.

I think he does a good job coaching up individual players but it seems like some part of his unit is always short circuiting no matter who the personnel are.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bulaga has had trouble staying healthy but none of the wear and tear injuries that Sitton has sustained over the years. I'll admit that I dont like it given the lack of depth inside, but Sitton's back problems were not getting better and his play did decline last year.

Sitton excelled in pass protection last season giving up a total of only nine pressures playing 17 games at guard last season. He was responsible for an increased number of bad runs and penalties but for sure would have still be a significant upgrade over Taylor in 2016.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why give Bulaga the extension and not Sitton?

Because Bulaga did not publicly question the offensive plan.

I think it was always in the plan to introduce new/young blood into the O-Line which is in line with Sitton and Lang being informed that they'd not negotiate a new contract.

But then came Sitton and his comments on the plan. I put the last minute cut more to pandering to MM's ego that any actual locker room dynamics or physical shortcomings from the player. We may have seen Blake play a gradually increasing role this year and maybe more top draft picks next year making for a smoother transition.

D

Deleted member 6794

But then came Sitton and his comments on the plan. I put the last minute cut more to pandering to MM's ego that any actual locker room dynamics or physical shortcomings from the player.

That doesn't explain why the Packers waited until less than 10 days before the season opener to release Sitton though.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
That doesn't explain why the Packers waited until less than 10 days before the season opener to release Sitton though.

Ever consider they wanted to be sure Plan B made it through preseason healthy? And wasn't a complete bust no matter how you and I view his capability?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ever consider they wanted to be sure Plan B made it through preseason healthy? And wasn't a complete bust no matter how you and I view his capability?

So, Plan B made it through, and he is now Plan A with no real plan B?

Is that second sentence incomplete, or is my aging comprehension showing?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously? You need to lay off your green tinted specs.

It was a discussion in a crucial decision affecting the team. Such over the top blind support is just as ridiculous the negativity you perceive this thread to be.
blind support? I dont see that. But the negative posters level of anaysis needs to be a little deeper than, "Did we win the Superbowl? No?, Then TT is doing it wrong."

Besides, I am pretty sure TT didnt do this. This feels more like an Elliott Wolf move.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
blind support? I dont see that. But the negative posters level of anaysis needs to be a little deeper than, "Did we win the Superbowl? No?, Then TT is doing it wrong."

Besides, I am pretty sure TT didnt do this. This feels more like an Elliott Wolf move.
Really??? I wasn't aware that Wolf wielded that type of power to make those decisions. That might mean that Thompson is retiring soon.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really??? I wasn't aware that Wolf wielded that type of power to make those decisions. That might mean that Thompson is retiring soon.
No, sorry, tbat was sarcasm.

The folks who hate TT but like the draft picks gave the credit to Elliot Wolf. Thought it funny when there is a decision they hate, its back to bashing TT.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
No, sorry, tbat was sarcasm.

The folks who hate TT but like the draft picks gave the credit to Elliot Wolf. Thought it funny when there is a decision they hate, its back to bashing TT.
Whoa.... You had me going there.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally respect the opinions of those who are going to just trust TT on this one, no explanation needed.

But there continues to be revisionist history on Sitton's last season. Unless you're remembering nothing but the week he was forced to play tackle, Sitton was not a player on the decline. He was still a really, really good guard.

If you're arguing he was on the decline, it was only in the sense that he maybe went from a top 2 guard to a top 3 (or thereabouts), which is a little silly to call a decline, in my opinion.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Because Bulaga did not publicly question the offensive plan.

I think it was always in the plan to introduce new/young blood into the O-Line which is in line with Sitton and Lang being informed that they'd not negotiate a new contract.

But then came Sitton and his comments on the plan. I put the last minute cut more to pandering to MM's ego that any actual locker room dynamics or physical shortcomings from the player. We may have seen Blake play a gradually increasing role this year and maybe more top draft picks next year making for a smoother transition.

Ego would have been before the roster bonus or after he made those comments to prove a point.

People have to rationalize this move, Ted and Mike KNOW how it would affect the team doing it the way they did. They decided that the issue/s were so bad they had to cut him. Something was in the works for a while, then it came to a head.

D

Deleted member 6794

Taylor has been on the team for three years therefore the front office and coaching staff should have been able to evaluate his talent level without needing training camp to do so. I don't believe his health was a concern either especially as the Packers enter the season without any backup best suited to play guard after releasing Sitton.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted and Mike KNOW how it would affect the team doing it the way they did.

I know. It's just that I'd be livid if the O-Line (I'm watchin you, Taylor) didn't protect Rodgers enough this year. I have a firm belief that this is our SB year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I know. It's just that I'd be livid if the O-Line (I'm watchin you, Taylor) didn't protect Rodgers enough this year. I have a firm belief that this is our SB year.
Simce we can agree they knew cutting him now would be an issue, that tells me there was something on going, they hoped it would not get worse, but it blew up in last 2 weeks...

Thats why they didn't cut sooner....

And trading, they called teams and wanted to know if they wanted to trade...

Teams were very skeptical about it... Why are they trying to trade with hours to go b4 deadline?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, you think Taylor twisted Thompson's arm?
Desperate to find someone to hate on?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How did you feel 2009, 2011-2015? Especially the last few minutes/seconds of some of those seasons. :)

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did you feel 2009, 2011-2015? Especially the last few minutes/seconds of some of those seasons. :)
Well, I always start with the hope of us winning SB...but this year...somehow I feel it a bit more certain than ever before. I think it all came together (Nelson back, Rodgers healthy, Elite secondary, Good draft additions). Felt sorry for Bridgewater...but suppose, it reiterated the feeling that this IS our season. Destiny awaits and all that! :D

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Wut? How did you get that from my post? :confused:

In simple words, it just means "You better be a good replacement, Taylor"
Your wording makes it sound like it's Taylor's fault that Sitton is gone and you're holding him responsible for all Packer outcomes this season.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your wording makes it sound like it's Taylor's fault that Sitton is gone and you're holding him responsible for all Packer outcomes this season.

Come on mate.

The exact words were "It's just that I'd be livid if the O-Line (I'm watchin you, Taylor) didn't protect Rodgers enough this year." It's a clear comment on a O-Line that was praised by MM last season being disrupted last minute and potentially weakened.

I'm not putting Taylor individually responsible for SB. That'd be nuts!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts