Current vs Future - Does MM & TT have the right idea?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Sitton thing isn't over by a long shot..especially if he plays at an all-pro level in Chicago (vomits) and our o-line stinks it up. Especially the man who they felt the need to replace him with after they got zilch for an all-pro guard.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then you've got a short memory. I've stated at least three times in threads that you personally always dismissed as foolishness, that I felt their was a strong likelihood that we would play the 16 season without one of Sitton/Lang. That is not what I call blind support. It is what I expected to happen. Apparently the coaching staff feels that it is time for Taylor to take the next step.

I think the coaching staff thought it was time for Jerron McMillian, MD Jennings, and Brad Jones to take the next step when we entrusted them with significant roles.

You can want a guy to take the next step all you want, but if the ability isn't there, it just ain't gonna happen.

Lane Taylor was undrafted and has been a below average offensive lineman his entire career. No amount of money we pay Lane Taylor and no amount of starts we give him is going to turn him into a starting caliber player, and I saw nothing this preseason that made me feel he's on the cusp of being a starting caliber player.

If I'm wrong and he's firmly entrenched as our LG for SB 51, no one will be happier than me.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the coaching staff thought it was time for Jerron McMillian, MD Jennings, and Brad Jones to take the next step when we entrusted them with significant roles.

You can want a guy to take the next step all you want, but if the ability isn't there, it just ain't gonna happen.

Lane Taylor was undrafted and has been a below average offensive lineman his entire career. No amount of money we pay Lane Taylor and no amount of starts we give him is going to turn him into a starting caliber player, and I saw nothing this preseason that made me feel he's on the cusp or being a starting caliber player.

If I'm wrong and he's firmly entrenched as our LG for SB 51, no one will be happier than me.
There are people here that will be happy to bring that up in February if it comes to fruition.:)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

There are people here that will be happy to bring that up in February if it comes to fruition.:)
And it will be brought up every game in between that he misses a block or yields a pressure.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
And it will be brought up every game in between that he misses a block or yields a pressure.
Lol, yup.

I wish folks could just relax and enjoy this great ride. Millions in cities across the country envy what we have here.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, yup.

I wish folks could just relax and enjoy this great ride. Millions in cities across the country envy what we have here.

Hey, I look forward to opening day more than almost anything every year. I appreciate being a Packer fan and enjoy the journey every year, even if it has been ending in heartbreak the last few years.

But that doesn't mean I need to agree or somehow rationalize that putting a top 5 All Pro guard out on the street for nothing days before the opener is somehow a good thing.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, I look forward to opening day more than almost anything every year. I appreciate being a Packer fan and enjoy the journey every year, even if it has been ending in heartbreak the last few years.

But that doesn't mean I need to agree or somehow rationalize that putting a top 5 All Pro guard out on the street for nothing days before the opener is somehow a good thing.
Do you know all the details surrounding this decision? If so, please tell the rest of us.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you know all the details surrounding this decision? If so, please tell the rest of us.

I don't know all the details surrounding the decision to take Justin Harrell in the 1st round in 2007, it doesn't mean I needed to agree with it.

If we all had to be fully informed to ever form an opinion on any personnel move made on the team, it'd be a pretty quiet message board.

As it stands right now with the information I know, I vehemently disagree with the decision to cut Josh Sitton.

Should I be proven wrong in the future upon a drastic decline by Sitton in the next year or the formation of an All-Pro guard in Taylor, by all means I'll own it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Then you've got a short memory. I've stated at least three times in threads that you personally always dismissed as foolishness, that I felt their was a strong likelihood that we would play the 16 season without one of Sitton/Lang. That is not what I call blind support. It is what I expected to happen. Apparently the coaching staff feels that it is time for Taylor to take the next step.

Just because you suggested the Packers would play this season without either Sitton or Lang doesn't make it a good move. Especially as the team got nothing in return for an All-Pro guard.

There are 31 other teams trying to win the SB every year. It amazes me how so many people think that just because we have a great QB we should a shoe in for the championship every single year.

There's no denying winning a Super Bowl is extremely tough. Nevertheless it's disappointing the Packers have only won two Lombardi Trophies while starting two Hall of Fame wuarterbacks over the last 24 years.

I think we're pretty talented as a whole. Our wr corps is top notch, we have a beastly rb, a top 10 line even without sitton I can see it go no lower than top 10, we have one of the best secondaries in the league with an ascending star in haha, and a monster on the dline with Daniels, a premiere outside backer in clay, and a legend win pep.

Aside of quarterback the secondary is the only other elite unit on the Packers roster. The team has a lot of talented players at most other positions but there are question marks surronding most of them.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team has a lot of talented players at most other positions but there are question marks surronding most of them.

Agree. Especially the WRs. We saw it first hand last season. Apart from Nelson/Cobb, I don't rate any of the others to fill in during an emergency. We needed Jones to do the bulk. Lots of potential...but that's saying nothing till they actually deliver.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, yup.

For some that means getting as close to participation as they can, which in turn precipitates comments. I'm sure this forum, as all sports boards, has a lot of lurkers who do just sit back and enjoy it, but don't take away the opportunity for others to comment and enjoy it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agree. Especially the WRs. We saw it first hand last season. Apart from Nelson/Cobb, I don't rate any of the others to fill in during an emergency. We needed Jones to do the bulk. Lots of potential...but that's saying nothing till they actually deliver.

While the wide receivers have to significantly improve over last season's performance I'm confident with Nelson returning the unit will play at a high level. I'm concerned about the run defense though especially as long as Pennel is suspended.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The middle of the defense makes me nervous as well. Don't be shocked to see Matthews back in the middle if we are stuggling in a game stopping the run. Idk why they won't just see if Perry can play in the middle. He's a solid pass rusher, but Matthews is an ELITE pass rusher.

D

Deleted member 6794

The middle of the defense makes me nervous as well. Don't be shocked to see Matthews back in the middle if we are stuggling in a game stopping the run. Idk why they won't just see if Perry can play in the middle. He's a solid pass rusher, but Matthews is an ELITE pass rusher.

Perry doesn't have the necessary ability to change direction at a high speed and lacks lateral quickness and explosion in short areas to play inside.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry doesn't have the necessary ability to change direction at a high speed and lacks lateral quickness and explosion in short areas to play inside.

lol you mean like Sam Barrington? you're probably right tho. Hopefully this Martinez is a beast.

D

Deleted member 6794

True, but Barrington is slow as dirt when he's on the field. He can deliver a thud...that's about it. He can't stay healthy either.

It's true Barrington is slow but Perry isn't any faster and therefore not a fit inside.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packer brain trust and their fans have been spoiled by playing in a perennial weak division.
That would be a d*mning description of an edge rusher unless all you expect is a bull rush. That's a dog that won't hunt.

He's got explosion and quickness in short areas. We've seen him dip and rip about once per year; he might have been called out for it in the position room. What he has not mastered is how to use that explosion and quickness within the Capers context...pocket contain is Job #1. Capers does not want to take the occasional sack if that technique means getting ridden around the pocket giving QBs easy escape routes. And if you use an inside swim or spin move, you darn well better find the angle that keeps contain.

Anyway, it's a moot point now. One of 2 things will happen. Either Perry shows he's Pepper's successor and earns a nice long term contract, or he doesn't prove up in which case he gets a shorter, lesser Neal-type offer as a rotational OLB. In the latter case the odds go up that one of the 31 other teams will think more of him than what the Packers will offer. That might even occur in the former case, for that matter, given the propensity in the NFL to offer big contracts on the back of a single breakout year.

If an ILB conversion was ever considered, that train has left the station.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside of quarterback the secondary is the only other elite unit on the Packers roster. The team has a lot of talented players at most other positions but there are question marks surronding most of them.

Yeah, I just feel like that's still better than what most of the NFL can say.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt the Packers have one of the most talented rosters in the league.

Which, when you consider that Ted seldom signs free agents and is almost always at the bottom of the draft, is a fairly remarkable accomplishment.

Members online

Latest posts