Current vs Future - Does MM & TT have the right idea?

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The release of Sitton got me thinking....

We all know TT and MM build organic with big picture in mind. But this latest release made me think, do that give importance to today as much as fans and supporters?

I.mean we have Rodgers in his prime and this was a O-Line that was praised by MM himself. Why ruin that?

I get that MM was unhappy with Sitton questioning the offensive plan and fallback from that.... But is that really locker room dynamics or MMs ego? Did any other players have problems with Sitton?

With Bradford new and Nelson back seems we have a clear shot at division, conference and potentially SB and we're staking that on future building? Can't we do that next season?

I have insane respect for the way we do business, but this makes. Me doubt myself.... Opinions?

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's criminal that the Rodgers era has only produced one championship so far, but it's not surprising given that Ted is working in a perpetual state of rebuilding. If I was Rodgers I would be livid. His window will start to close sooner than later and it seems Ted is ALWAYS more interested in being a playoff team for the next five years instead of being a champion in the current year. At some point the future has to be now and if this trend continues, there will be no more Super Bowls for Rodgers unless he carries the entire team on his back. I've always believed TT was an overrated GM. The only reason the Packers have been a winning team under his watch is because Rodgers fell into his lap at the 2005 draft. That's not shrewd drafting, it's pure luck. We've seen what happened in 2013 when Rodgers is not behind center. A 2-4-1 record that was a Cowboys choke job away from being 1-5-1. We're a 4-5 win team without Rodgers, and that's on Ted. Cutting Sitton in favor of an UFA scrub made the Packers a weaker team than they were just two short days ago in a year where they were considered by many a Super Bowl favorite.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what's criminal is the way everybody overreacts and knee jerks all over themselves all the freaking time. We've had more than 1 team capable of winning a super bowl, the fact they haven't is as much on those players as anybody. Especially the debacle a couple seasons ago. Just a week ago everyone was jerking all over the punting situation, and a few months before that everyone was knee jerking all over about the draft.

the first incomplete pass they'll be knee jerking all over about what WR's are on the field. First time Lacy gets caught from behind, they'll be jerking all over how chubby he looks. First 3 and out they'll be knee jerking all over McCarthy and what a horrible coach and play caller he is. I can't wait for the first stunt up the middle and everyone blows up knkee jerking all over themselves and everyone else because Sitton isn't there. Never mind, there was pressure coming up the middle a good part of last year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

We all know TT and MM build organic with big picture in mind. But this latest release made me think, do that give importance to today as much as fans and supporters?

I.mean we have Rodgers in his prime and this was a O-Line that was praised by MM himself. Why ruin that?

I get that MM was unhappy with Sitton questioning the offensive plan and fallback from that.... But is that really locker room dynamics or MMs ego? Did any other players have problems with Sitton?

With Bradford new and Nelson back seems we have a clear shot at division, conference and potentially SB and we're staking that on future building? Can't we do that next season?

I have insane respect for the way we do business, but this makes. Me doubt myself.... Opinions?
I have a great deal of respect for the way we do business. I have absolutely no doubts whatsoever on the roster decisions of the last few days.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TT has no pressure from an owner. As long as he has Divisional Titles and the fan support, he will stay until he decides to retire. He has had the benefit of two HOF QB's during his tenure--To his credit he drafted Rodgers.

TT has only 3 Pro Bowl players that he can claim as a GM. Rodgers, Woodson and Matthews. I won't count Kuhn in '14. His drafts have been average, he gets credit for Woodson and Peppers--Outside of that his FA involvement is documented (nothing) and he remains committed to the UDFA wire and keeping GB one of the youngest teams in the NFL. In my opinion, without the consistency of the QB play, TT would have been gone.

To let Sitton go without getting a thing was an indication of his ego. Why--Because he thinks he is a genius at evaluating talent and thinks he is the smartest man in the league.

Hope the OL stays healthy--however, as we have seen in recent years it's not likely. Hope that Rodgers stays on the field. If he doesn't, we saw what happens--.500 football at best.

Letting your best OLman go was stupid. Obviously TT thinks he did the right thing. I bet MM and Rodgers don't.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
what's criminal is the way everybody overreacts and knee jerks all over themselves all the freaking time. We've had more than 1 team capable of winning a super bowl, the fact they haven't is as much on those players as anybody. Especially the debacle a couple seasons ago. Just a week ago everyone was jerking all over the punting situation, and a few months before that everyone was knee jerking all over about the draft.

the first incomplete pass they'll be knee jerking all over about what WR's are on the field. First time Lacy gets caught from behind, they'll be jerking all over how chubby he looks. First 3 and out they'll be knee jerking all over McCarthy and what a horrible coach and play caller he is. I can't wait for the first stunt up the middle and everyone blows up knkee jerking all over themselves and everyone else because Sitton isn't there. Never mind, there was pressure coming up the middle a good part of last year.
We do seem to have more than our fair share of nattering nabobs of negativism here. Some times it seems like we are a perennial 6-10 team whose owner refuses to fire the GM.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pressure coming up the middle because the OL was hurt and TT didn't have sufficient back up. Why give Bulaga the extension and not Sitton? Ever see Bulaga invited to a Pro Bowl? Has he ever played a complete season?

Geez. Never question Ted Thompson--Without him it would be back to the '70's/80's--Not.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pressure coming up the middle because the OL was hurt and TT didn't have sufficient back up. Why give Bulaga the extension and not Sitton? Ever see Bulaga invited to a Pro Bowl? Has he ever played a complete season?

Geez. Never question Ted Thompson--Without him it would be back to the '70's/80's--Not.
If you can find anywhere ever that I have said not to question Ted, feel free to post it right here. I question Ted on this move myself, so there goes that theory

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just wonder what really happened behind the scenes to provoke the particular timing of it. Just seems odd. I could see letting him walk and taking the comp pick, but I'm shocked at the sudden release and getting nothing. What happened?

Most of TT's big picture decisions pan out favorably. Even when I complain about his inaction in certain areas, there wasn't a great solution available, so in hindsight my complaint isn't exactly fair. It's an odd move, but time will tell.

Overall, I think TT is good but not the genius he was once heralded as. That 2010 season was the result of MM and his staff delivering an absolutely masterful coaching performance and guys playing heir hearts out. Unfortunately, it seems TT was unfairly placed on a pedestal for it.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To the original point of this thread, I like the long term vs short term balance the Packers have had the past decade or so. I love watching my team be consistently good, if that means we have one less league trophy. I don't know if that's the trade-off, but it seems like that's how this gets framed often. I like winning the Super Bowl, but I covet being a perennial winner even more.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We do seem to have more than our fair share of nattering nabobs of negativism here. Some times it seems like we are a perennial 6-10 team whose owner refuses to fire the GM.
Seriously? You need to lay off your green tinted specs.

It was a discussion in a crucial decision affecting the team. Such over the top blind support is just as ridiculous the negativity you perceive this thread to be.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what's criminal is the way everybody overreacts and knee jerks all over themselves all the freaking time.

May I know what's kneejerk here? Never claimed we'd lose or fail, did I?

It was a decision that got even experienced reporters perplexed and if that's not worth a discussion, I fail to see what is.

Matt39

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You've hit the bullseye my friend.

I for one think perennial conference loser is no sign of success.

As if that is the choice? The team can either be a perennial loser with multiple Lombardi's or a perennial playoff team that finds a way to blow it??????:confused:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They aren't on the same level as other GM/head coach combos in the league, but not horrible. Great GMs don't overpay, which TT has seemed to do for every one of his own players. As a result, the entire roster outside of a couple positions has been average.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

At times we could easily be mistaken for a Browns forum if we just didn't list names

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
May I know what's kneejerk here? Never claimed we'd lose or fail, did I?

It was a decision that got even experienced reporters perplexed and if that's not worth a discussion, I fail to see what is.
I wasn't responding to you

D

Deleted member 6794

It's no secret that I would like Thompson to be more active in free agency and not to overpay to re-sign the team's own free agents but overall I agree with Thompson's approach to have a long-term plan resulting in the Packers consistently making the playoffs. Going all in for a single season doesn't guarantee winning the Super Bowl either.

With that being said it's extremely tough to make sense of releasing Sitton less than 10 days before the season opener. In my opinion it's obvious this move weakens the offensive line for this season without presenting a chance to improve in the long haul.

I have absolutely no doubts whatsoever on the roster decisions of the last few days.

That quote should serve as evidence for your blind support of Thompson. I have a hard time understanding any Packers fan not even questioning the meaningfulness of releasing Sitton.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As if that is the choice? The team can either be a perennial loser with multiple Lombardi's or a perennial playoff team that finds a way to blow it??????:confused:

All a GM can do it make the team good enough to be a contender. There's nothing he can do to guarantee a Super Bowl. One mistake can end a season. We had the best team in 2011 and 2014, but the players didn't put it together come playoff time.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has no pressure from an owner. As long as he has Divisional Titles and the fan support, he will stay until he decides to retire. He has had the benefit of two HOF QB's during his tenure--To his credit he drafted Rodgers.

TT has only 3 Pro Bowl players that he can claim as a GM. Rodgers, Woodson and Matthews. I won't count Kuhn in '14. His drafts have been average, he gets credit for Woodson and Peppers--Outside of that his FA involvement is documented (nothing) and he remains committed to the UDFA wire and keeping GB one of the youngest teams in the NFL. In my opinion, without the consistency of the QB play, TT would have been gone.

To let Sitton go without getting a thing was an indication of his ego. Why--Because he thinks he is a genius at evaluating talent and thinks he is the smartest man in the league.

Hope the OL stays healthy--however, as we have seen in recent years it's not likely. Hope that Rodgers stays on the field. If he doesn't, we saw what happens--.500 football at best.

Letting your best OLman go was stupid. Obviously TT thinks he did the right thing. I bet MM and Rodgers don't.

You are not even close on the Pro Bowlers. Sitton, Jennings, Peppers, Collins, Lacy, Cobb, Jordy, Raji, Shields, Tramon Williams were all Pro Bowlers.

I clearly get you're not a TT fan, but at least be accurate when arguing against him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Expect more surprise cuts in future seasons if the "moneyball" moves are a success.

I don't expect a lot of surprising cuts in the future as releasing a talented starter because of cap reasons doesn't work out most of the time.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Or, for some of us, a perennial SB contender. After a quarter of a century looking for a decent team, then having back-to-back HOF QBs for a couple of decades, I'm really wishing they had accumulated more hardware - and not of the division champ kind.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts