Criteria for HOF induction

• Thread starter I asked LT to delete my acct
  • Start date
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

What exactly is the benchmark for getting into the Hall of Fame ?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
HOF or packers HOF?

I am almost certain they are voted in by a panel, so I would guess that popularity is high on the list. having killer stats would be a factor, maybe even longevity as well (depending on what position). Any records broken? How many SB rings? There are many factors.

OP
OP
I

HOF or packers HOF?

I am almost certain they are voted in by a panel, so I would guess that popularity is high on the list. having killer stats would be a factor, maybe even longevity as well (depending on what position). Any records broken? How many SB rings? There are many factors.

Packers HOF ;). Only I was looking at it online, and there were some surprising omissions. I was always a big Mark Tauscher fan because of his attitude towards the team, and he kept coming back after injury AND we were the only team he played for. I did see he still lives in Wisconsin and has set up a charity. Did he ever get inducted ? I didn`t see his name.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers HOF ;). Only I was looking at it online, and there were some surprising omissions. I was always a big Mark Tauscher fan because of his attitude towards the team, and he kept coming back after injury AND we were the only team he played for. I did see he still lives in Wisconsin and has set up a charity. Did he ever get inducted ? I didn`t see his name.

That's because the HOF doesn't give two squirts about how you left the team, how nice of a guy you were, and whether you eventually played for a division rival.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While not egregious issues, the following guys had character marks against them or left in a less-than-dignified way and still were voted onto the HOF, offering evidence that it's the on-field and not the off-field stuff that matters in Packers HOF voting:

James Lofty - accused (and acquitted) of ****** assault
Paul Hornug - gambling on Packers games
Jim Ringo - disgruntled over money was sent out of town by Lombardi to the Eagles

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They usually wait a few years before inducting a player. Tauscher is just out of the game, I'm sure at some point he will be inducted.

H

HardRightEdge

While not egregious issues, the following guys had character marks against them or left in a less-than-dignified way and still were voted onto the HOF, offering evidence that it's the on-field and not the off-field stuff that matters in Packers HOF voting:

James Lofty - accused (and acquitted) of ****** assault
Paul Hornug - gambling on Packers games
Jim Ringo - disgruntled over money was sent out of town by Lombardi to the Eagles

Add Chmura to the list, a recent inductee.

In one of the Jennings' threads, several posters argued he should not be in the Packer HOF because of the circumstances of his departure. You rightly cite the Ringo example. Jim Taylor also left for New Orleans over a contract dispute...he didn't like rookies getting paid more than he, and more than he ever made. Business issues are certainly not a disqualifier.

As for Taucher, I think "too soon" is the answer. I don't know what the waiting period might be, but there are quite a few solid, long-term starters in the Pack HOF who you would not consider regular Pro Bowl candidates. I would expect Taucher would get in eventually, as will Clifton. But guys who are not stars often have to wait awhile.

H

HardRightEdge

Greg Koch is one name on the Packer HOF list that comes to mind as a rough comparable to Clifton / Taucher.

Long term starter for the Packers (9 years or so in the '70s - '80s) mostly at RT. He got a nod for second team All-Pro in the strike shortened 1982 playoff season with the Air ****ey passing offense, but otherwise was generally just a very solid player. Interestingly enough, he played his final season with the Vikings.

Koch's last season was 1987. He was inducted in the Pack HOF in 2010.

That should give you some idea.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I posted in the Jennings HOF thread (may have to merge if this keeps up lol )

Seems like most modern players take 15-20 years from when they joined the team to be inducted

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Greg Koch is one name on the Packer HOF list that comes to mind as a rough comparable to Clifton / Taucher.

Long term starter for the Packers (9 years or so in the '70s - '80s) mostly at RT. He got a nod for second team All-Pro in the strike shortened 1982 playoff season with the Air ****ey passing offense, but otherwise was generally just a very solid player. Interestingly enough, he played his final season with the Vikings.

Koch's last season was 1987. He was inducted in the Pack HOF in 2010.

That should give you some idea.

Jeeez....even back then the purple queens were harvesting our used players.

OP
OP
I

I posted in the Jennings HOF thread (may have to merge if this keeps up lol )

Seems like most modern players take 15-20 years from when they joined the team to be inducted

Read it thank you :tup:

Members online

Latest posts