Could Packers draft Manti Te'o?

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, if his draft stock plummeted because of this scandal, the Packers in theory have a good chance of drafting him. The Pack can get rid of AJ Hawk somehow...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I drove to south bend this year to watch him. Wasnt impressed with him. Even less impressed after hearing he might be clinically insane.

I was hearing negative things about his draft stock before this. I worry people get too hyped up on big names in college without looking deeper at the player and his ability to transition to the nfl.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think his play in the National Championship game will have a bigger affect.

and drafting him would be a mistake

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I mean, if his draft stock plummeted because of this scandal, the Packers in theory have a good chance of drafting him. The Pack can get rid of AJ Hawk somehow...
We owe Hawk base salary 4.9 Mil, Cap hit to release him is 4.6 Mil. He's here for 1 more year. Deal with it.

Ogletree is good. I like Minter.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya Ogletree would fit our system much better. He doesn't have a lot power to stand a back up in the middle, so he would do just fine.

OP
OP
PackPackPackers

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We owe Hawk base salary 4.9 Mil, Cap hit to release him is 4.6 Mil. He's here for 1 more year. Deal with it.

Ogletree is good. I like Minter.

You seem pretty content with that...that's fine if the Packers still want a BELOW average defense this upcoming year. We are not going to win a Super Bowl next year if our defense is going to be with the same people (i.e. AJ Hawk).

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's won about every honor a linebacker can win except the Heisman. If it's all hype, it's the greatest fraud in the history of college football--much greater than a fake girlfriend. He's 6'2" and 255. I haven't seen a 40 time for him. If he's fast, I'd take him in an instant if he's available.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you seen him play much? No doubt he racks up the stats and has had a knack to come up with big plays in big situations. But he's just kinda... slow. Slow kills in the league.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's won about every honor a linebacker can win except the Heisman. If it's all hype, it's the greatest fraud in the history of college football--much greater than a fake girlfriend. He's 6'2" and 255. I haven't seen a 40 time for him. If he's fast, I'd take him in an instant if he's available.

You can be an amazing college player and not a great nfl player. I think we might have a linebacker on our team like that.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
You seem pretty content with that...that's fine if the Packers still want a BELOW average defense this upcoming year. We are not going to win a Super Bowl next year if our defense is going to be with the same people (i.e. AJ Hawk).
He'll be a mainstay on the inactive list, but he's going nowhere for a year.

Te'o is Samoan for "Too Slow." He might as well be Hawk 2.0

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally would like to see GB take a shot at Ronaldo McClain as Reggie Mckenzie and the Raiders are prepared to release him. I would go after him and get rid of Hawk. Maybe a change of location and being on a better team will help him to mature and be productive as he was projected.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I personally would like to see GB take a shot at Ronaldo McClain as Reggie Mckenzie and the Raiders are prepared to release him. I would go after him and get rid of Hawk. Maybe a change of location and being on a better team will help him to mature and be productive as he was projected.
If Reggie McKenzie doesn't want him we don't either.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
No way I would even want Teo. The way Alabama made him look...lol....he was trying to tackle air half the time, he missed tacles like crazy and got run the hell over a couple time. All that from a college level RB, he would get even more eaten alive by a NFL back. That kid will be a draft bust, good luck to whom ever takes him and his pretend girlfriend having ***

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Funny, but I seem to remember Hawk being on the roster in 2010, when we had a top 10 defense and won the Super Bowl.

To the OP: No. We don't need a sociopath on our roster. Anyone who invents a girlfriend and then invents her death to get attention need not apply.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised by everyone dismissing Te'o. Obviously, a lot will hinge on the truth behind the hoax. If he's complicit in it from the get-go, you have to take a good and hard look at his mental makeup. Of course, the flip side is he is a naive kid, which also isn't good. In any event, if he's there when we select in the 1st round, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better option. At the bottom of the 1st round, you find a lot of similarly talented players. Te'o was a top-1o, maybe top-15 pick, before this scandal. As a result, he'd absolutely be a coupe for the Packers. And the Packers don't need more speed, we need toughness. Te'o is not afraid to plug the middle in run support and a much more physical force than Hawk. Plus, he's decent in coverage. There's a reason why he won every award possible and finished second in the Heisman. He's a gamer. http://wp.me/p29VCs-f1

OP
OP
PackPackPackers

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny, but I seem to remember Hawk being on the roster in 2010, when we had a top 10 defense and won the Super Bowl.

To the OP: No. We don't need a sociopath on our roster. Anyone who invents a girlfriend and then invents her death to get attention need not apply.

AJ Hawk STILL wasn't the reason we won that year...Nick Collins, Jenkins, etc. were why...NOT AJ Hawk.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Te'o can definitely fall to #26, but I don't know if I want him. He totally disappeared during the Bama game. The last thing I want is AJ Hawk 2.0

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The funny thing about this thread is the focus on his apparent lack of speed. He's an ILB. I don't want a blazer. I want a guy that's willing to attack the line and make game-changing plays. When you watch Urlacher, do you think to yourself - man, he's a fast LB. I don't. But, he has perfect game-speed and is always around the ball. Te'o similarly has game-speed and would be a great compliment to Bishop.

OP
OP
PackPackPackers

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Te'o can definitely fall to #26, but I don't know if I want him. He totally disappeared during the Bama game. The last thing I want is AJ Hawk 2.0

Manti Te'o is the furthest thing from AJ Hawk. Manti Te'o is a much bigger and fast back than AJ Hawk. He is more of a Patrick Willis type of player.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The funny thing about this thread is the focus on his apparent lack of speed. He's an ILB. I don't want a blazer. I want a guy that's willing to attack the line and make game-changing plays. When you watch Urlacher, do you think to yourself - man, he's a fast LB. I don't. But, he has perfect game-speed and is always around the ball. Te'o similarly has game-speed and would be a great compliment to Bishop.

Well he played safety in college...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Urlacher? I think he is very fast and very quick; and plays it.

As far as Manti Teo, he may just be the inspiration our defense needs:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts