Could Packers draft Manti Te'o?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
His 40 time of 4.82 (although he'll probably run again at his college day) could push him down to #26 but I don't want the Packers to take him. As I've said often I'm not a draftnic and only watched two of his games but the National Championship game is a big red flag for me. Production in college is more important to me than combine numbers but he certainly didn't look like a difference maker in the most important game of his career to date - at least not for his team. And the Packers need a difference maker on D. I don't want him in the second round either. I'm hoping for DL and safety in the first three rounds unless an OL is just too good to pass up. Failing DL, OL and safety, I'd rather Thompson pick a WR in the second, he's had really good luck there with that position.

I don’t think he was initially in on the scandal but it's pretty clear he perpetuated it after he knew there was no girl friend. My guess is he's the most gullible player in the draft. I've heard some teams want to know if he's gay but don't know how to ask questions in the interview to find out. And apparently, just like in the "real" world, they can't just ask.

I can't remember who said this but I thought it was funny: 'It's easy to make fun of the Manti Te'o scandal but we should all keep in mind a fake girl is dead.'

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His 40 time of 4.82 (although he'll probably run again at his college day) could push him down to #26 but I don't want the Packers to take him. As I've said often I'm not a draftnic and only watched two of his games but the National Championship game is a big red flag for me. Production in college is more important to me than combine numbers but he certainly didn't look like a difference maker in the most important game of his career to date - at least not for his team. And the Packers need a difference maker on D. I don't want him in the second round either. I'm hoping for DL and safety in the first three rounds unless an OL is just too good to pass up. Failing DL, OL and safety, I'd rather Thompson pick a WR in the second, he's had really good luck there with that position.

I don’t think he was initially in on the scandal but it's pretty clear he perpetuated it after he knew there was no girl friend. My guess is he's the most gullible player in the draft. I've heard some teams want to know if he's gay but don't know how to ask questions in the interview to find out. And apparently, just like in the "real" world, they can't just ask.

I can't remember who said this but I thought it was funny: 'It's easy to make fun of the Manti Te'o scandal but we should all keep in mind a fake girl is dead.'

Didnt the Dolphins GM ask Dez if his mom was a hooker? I feel that might be worse lol

H

HardRightEdge

I was watching the Combine when they called Te'o for his first 40 run.

They cut to TT in the stands, attention riveted. Hopefully, the 4.8 put him off.

What we might need at the position depends on where Bishop stands. It's being reported that he's recovering well and is on-track to participate in OTAs, but you never know if that's just happy talk. In a rare candid moment, MM recently commented that his past rosy assessments of Sherrod's recovery were "speculation".

Without Bishop, the need is for a banger, a physical presence in the middle of the field. Te'o doesn't quite qualify. Closer to a Minter type. If Bishop comes back 100%, the need would be for more of a finesse/coverage guy who can get Bishop off the field on 3rd. down where he has shortcomings. More like an Ogletree type.

In any event, Bishop's return would need to be in some doubt to go ILB in the first round, given other needs.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was high on Teo even with his "catfish " drama. After seeing his numbers at the combine tho and watching him on NFL Network i chnage my stance. He's a solid football player.... but so is Hawk, and i'm tiered of settling for solid in the middle. We need a stud! sombody who can run and play all over the field. Maybe Teo turns out to be a good football player but just not for us. We have a need fo speed.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is anybody against us nabbing him with our late second round pick?
Seems like a bargain right, but if he's too slow to be a good player it really doesn't matter where he comes onto the roster at right, 1, 2, 3 round, etc.

I really don't know what to think of him..... combine backed the things a lot of his detractors had been saying, coupled with the fact that he was awful vs Alabama in that BCS game... I'd stay clear. What I saw from Hawk at OSU and at the combine was a LOT better than what I see from Te'o.

And that's not even touching the controversy and other rumors... don't need that on the field or locker room.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like a bargain right, but if he's too slow to be a good player it really doesn't matter where he comes onto the roster at right, 1, 2, 3 round, etc.

I really don't know what to think of him..... combine backed the things a lot of his detractors had been saying, coupled with the fact that he was awful vs Alabama in that BCS game... I'd stay clear. What I saw from Hawk at OSU and at the combine was a LOT better than what I see from Te'o.

And that's not even touching the controversy and other rumors... don't need that on the field or locker room.
I agree. But have also heard the argument that speed is not a great need at ILB (see Ray Lewis, London Fletcher etc.). We drafted Hawk for his quote "great sideline to sideline speed" and how did that work out? He did produce in college. But not in that Alabama game as you say. A lot of scouts are also paying more attention to his pro day then his combine due to the fact he had less time to prepare for it then everybody else (Title game, scandal).

The one thing that irks me about his combine though is after when he was questioned about his sub-par performance he replied "well, it was a long day." Hello?! It's a long day for everybody. Get used to it. It'll be long on Sunday's too.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm against taking him in any round. Not the kind of guy I want in the locker room.
I'm thinking there are any number of ILB prospects as capable as him. I think we have much more pressing needs than ILB, if Bishop & Smith's recovery's are on track.

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind taking Teo at 26. Here's the reasons why. The 3 knocks on him that i see are these 3.. Number 1 Sucked against Alabama in the championship game. The entire team got pushed around. Not just him. Players will have a bad game here and there as well. This isn't madden where everyone is the same day in and day out. Number 2 The Scandal. The scandal isn't even remotely bad. Although it is an awkward situation it's not like he killed someone or got a DUI. Number 3 His 40 time is slow. Football isn't played running straight. If the combine really showed how great players would be then Dontari Poe would be amazing. He also has his pro day to run faster.

The_Virus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id say no to Te'o. I think he is undersized and that will be a burden when he is in coverage against taller WRs and TEs. Plus, we dont need another "arm" tackler on this team.

Members online

Latest posts