Cornerbacks

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Really? I didn't realize us fans had this much control over the on-field success of the team. Do the other 31 teams fans have that same power? Those Patriot fans must be absolutely awesome!

The Packers are "owned by the fans" so it's much different then any other team. Why fans are allowing this all to happen is beyond me.

I would be hard pressed to believe that TT would still have a job under a typical owned team at this point after striking out 6 times in a row to win a Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers are "owned by the fans" so it's much different then any other team. Why fans are allowing this all to happen is beyond me.

I would be hard pressed to believe that TT would still have a job under a typical owned team at this point after striking out 6 times in a row to win a Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers.
Yep, all teams with really good QBs always win the super bowl. See Marino, Elway, Peyton, Brees for examples.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yep, all teams with really good QBs always win the super bowl. See Marino, Elway, Peyton, Brees for examples.

On the other hand there are general managers capable of buliding teams that have won multiple Super Bowls while starting Roethlisberger, Eli as well as Flacco and Dilfer at quarterback.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have quite a selection of CBs this year in the draft. Must be the deepest draft I can recall for CBs. That and OLBs. Two distinct needs of the Packers - it seems like we are fortunate in that way every year. Maybe not a coincidence. With so many players in the late 1st mid second talent area, teams may very well forgo a CB in the middle of the 1st, knowing they can get a starter quality player in the mid 2nd. That leaves me hope that King or Conley will be there at #29. Here is how I see it:

GONE
Lattimore, Humphrey both excellent players and top 12 picks

LIKELY GONE
Gareon Conley = All around very good. Very little risk in this pick. Should be a marginal pro bowler sooner rather than later.

MAYBE
Kevin King: Start of the freaks. Fast and tall can develop into a shut down corner
Adoree Jackson: can be a very good CB - but will be a great returner
Quincy Wilson: All around good and with a lot of upside

2nd rounders (1 of these guys could be there)
Jalen Tabor
Tre' Davious White: I'm not excited about him, not sure why. Likely we be gone in the first or early 2nd.
Chidobe Awuzie - likely gone
Fabian Moreau - impressive at the Shrine game. Most likely the one who is still there.
Ahkello Witherspoon: Another freak. Will need to add some bulk for the pros. Probably gone in early 2nd.
cordrea Tankersley: Solid. Mid 2nd.

LATER PICKS i like
I think we should grab one of these guys in the 3rd or 4th.
Brendan Langley Lamar
Rasul Douglas WV
Howard Wilson Houston
Dwayne Thomas LSU

No
Sidney Jones - those achilles are tricky.
Jourdan Lewis - Woman beater who is short. Nope.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Must be the deepest draft I can recall for CBs. That and OLBs. Two distinct needs of the Packers - it seems like we are fortunate in that way every year.

Yeah, the Packers are truly fortunate being in dire need of a cornerback atop the depth chart as it is guaranteed a prospect selected at the end of the first round or even later in a deep draft at the position will immediately turn into a decent #1 at the position. :rolleyes:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, the Packers are truly fortunate being in dire need of a cornerback atop the depth chart as it is guaranteed a prospect selected at the end of the first round or even later in a deep draft at the position will immediately turn into a decent #1 at the position. :rolleyes:
The last few years their needs have coincided with the strength of the draft. Not sure why you don't see that as a positive thing but hey - to each their own.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We have quite a selection of CBs this year in the draft. Must be the deepest draft I can recall for CBs. That and OLBs. Two distinct needs of the Packers - it seems like we are fortunate in that way every year. Maybe not a coincidence. With so many players in the late 1st mid second talent area, teams may very well forgo a CB in the middle of the 1st, knowing they can get a starter quality player in the mid 2nd. That leaves me hope that King or Conley will be there at #29. Here is how I see it:

GONE

LIKELY GONE
Gareon Conley = All around very good. Very little risk in this pick. Should be a marginal pro bowler sooner rather than later.

MAYBE
Kevin King: Start of the freaks. Fast and tall can develop into a shut down corner

Jalen Tabor
Tre' Davious White: I'm not excited about him, not sure why. Likely we be gone in the first or early 2nd.
Fabian Moreau - impressive at the Shrine game. Most likely the one who is still there.
Ahkello Witherspoon: Another freak. Will need to add some bulk for the pros. Probably gone in early 2nd.

LATER PICKS i like
Brendan Langley Lamar
Rasul Douglas WV
Howard Wilson Houston
Dwayne Thomas LSU

No

I have King going to the Seahawks in 1st but we'll see.

Lewis is not a woman beater. He was actually trying to leave a house and fending his GF off of him. Lewis would be a huge upgrade over Rollins in the slot.

I think Moreau in the second as a "developmental guy" in the 2nd is the pick

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have King going to the Seahawks in 1st but we'll see.

Lewis is not a woman beater. He was actually trying to leave a house and fending his GF off of him. Lewis would be a huge upgrade over Rollins in the slot.

I think Moreau in the second as a "developmental guy" in the 2nd is the pick
Lewis is also 5' 10". I think that is on the short side for TT.

I have Moreau in the 2nd in my draft contest. Would be a great pick.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The last few years their needs have coincided with the strength of the draft. Not sure why you don't see that as a positive thing but hey - to each their own.

Unless you're opening every post with an affirmation that the Packers are in dire need of a #1 corner and that TT is a fool for not signing one, then whatever else you have to say is irrelevant. Apparently.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brandon and Wimm. You disagree with this? You don't think CB is a weakness? You don't think that CBs are a strength of this draft? Explain please.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is a new level of blind support for Thompson. It seems that now he's even capable of adjusting the team's weaknesses to the strength of a draft class??? Geez!!!

I wonder why it took him several years to adequately address inside linebacker, tight end and safety in the past then.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless you're opening every post with an affirmation that the Packers are in dire need of a #1 corner and that TT is a fool for not signing one, then whatever else you have to say is irrelevant. Apparently.
I know. When you give yourself over to blind hatred it leads down a lot of ignorant conclusions.

D

Deleted member 6794

Brandon and Wimm. You disagree with this? You don't think CB is a weakness? You don't think that CBs are a strength of this draft? Explain please.

The Packers are in need of a cornerback and this year's class is supposedly deep at the position. It's ridiculous to suggest that has happened over the past few years as well though as the draft hasn't been especially talented at inside linebacker, safety or tight end over that period.

In addition it doesn't guarantee the Packers end up drafting a cornerback capable of contributing at a decent level this season.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I think there are many nice CB prospects in draft. My issue is were a Super Bowl contending team or at least I thought and plugging a rookie in at no.1 to replace Sammie Shields is a huge reach. I would love the Packers to draft a quality corner prospect to develop and groom.

I wanna win now and not "hope for later" anymore. My issue is using the draft to fill a huge immediate need "right now" at a position that usually takes time to develop a player adequately.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there are many nice CB prospects in draft. My issue is were a Super Bowl contending team or at least I thought and plugging a rookie in at no.1 to replace Sammie Shields is a huge reach. I would love the Packers to draft a quality corner prospect to develop and groom.

I wanna win now and not "hope for later" anymore. My issue is using the draft to fill a huge immediate need "right now" at a position that usually takes time to develop a player adequately.
It sounds like you agree with my post, the draft is deep with CBs and the Packers need one. But you hit disagree. Whether we get help immediately or not is not addressed in my post.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

GONE

LIKELY GONE

MAYBE

Jalen Tabor

LATER PICKS i like
Brendan Langley Lamar
Rasul Douglas WV
Howard Wilson Houston
Dwayne Thomas LSU

No

Lattimore is certainly gone. Humphrey is trickier. He's basically a prototype of everything you want a corner to be physically and he's coming out of the most pro style defense in college football, but there are real holes in his game. He struggles to find the ball down the field, which can really erase a lot of his strengths in a hurry. I think it's more likely than not that he's gone by #29, but don't be shocked if he gets leap frogged by other players.

Conley actually strikes me as more of a lock to be gone by #29. He is such a clean prospect in terms of size, athleticism, and production at the highest level. Him falling to us is a dream scenario.

Your "maybes" of King and Jackson are my favorite options. King has a case to be the best overall athlete in this draft class. The only reason he was ever considered a lesser prospect was that scouts expected him to run slow. That obviously didn't happen. Jackson falls just out of what Thompson likes in terms of height, but he hits all the other criteria. I would love that pick.

I know what you mean about White. He had a good season, but he's an ordinary athlete.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Lewis is also 5' 10". I think that is on the short side for TT.

I have Moreau in the 2nd in my draft contest. Would be a great pick.

We have several guys in the 5'10 range at corner. Shields was a tad over 5'10.

Plus were talking about playing the slot here. Lewis has tremendous "quick twitch" that I believe would make him a nice option in the slot.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is a new level of blind support for Thompson. It seems that now he's even capable of adjusting the team's weaknesses to the strength of a draft class??? Geez!!!

I wonder why it took him several years to adequately address inside linebacker, tight end and safety in the past then.

Lol... his completely self-evident point gets a "disagree" merely because he parenthetically mused that, in his opinion, it's possible that there may be a plan on Thompson's part regarding what positions to target in the draft.

If we're going to talk about blindness, we might start with that.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Conley actually strikes me as more of a lock to be gone by #29. He is such a clean prospect in terms of size, athleticism, and production at the highest level. Him falling to us is a dream scenario.
Probably. Just my optimism that he will be there. My original pick for us - RB McCaffery is now going to be long gone. NFLN yesterday said he was a probable top 10 pick.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We have several guys in the 5'10 range at corner. Shields was a tad over 5'10.

Plus were talking about playing the slot here. Lewis has tremendous "quick twitch" that I believe would make him a nice option in the slot.

In 12 years, TT has never drafter a corner under 5'11". I'm not saying that's a good policy, but Amish is correct that 5'10" is outside of his well established tendencies. For his to take a guy like that, I think it would need to be a special athlete. Lewis is not that. Adoree' Jackson on the other hand might fit the bill.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Probably. Just my optimism that he will be there. My original pick for us - RB McCaffery is now going to be long gone. NFLN yesterday said he was a probable top 10 pick.

Indeed. There are always surprises. And the board "changes" as information leaks about who NFL teams like or dislike (or as false information is purposefully leaked to that effect). Bottom line, I like Conley, King, and Jackson and would be pleased with any of the three.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lol... his completely self-evident point gets a "disagree" merely because he parenthetically mused that, in his opinion, it's possible that there may be a plan on Thompson's part regarding what positions to target in the draft.

If we're going to talk about blindness, we might start with that.

I have had discussions with Amish about Thompson in the past and am well aware of the fact that he believes Thompson can't do no wrong.

It's ludicrous to support TT not addressing the team's biggest weakness in free agency because the draft class is supposedly deep at the position. That doesn't guarantee getting an impact player at all though.

Therefore entering the draft with a huge hole to fill on the roster isn't a smart way to handle business, especially for a team most likely only a few pieces away from being a legitimate title contender.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Yeah, I understand this for sure. You don't want to be counting on a rookie taken 29th overall to be "the guy." But like you said, corner prospects are usually selected to be developed and groomed over time. That's one of the reasons why, without really opposing it, I didn't expect TT to sign a big time corner. He spent 1st and 2nd round picks on the position as a long term investment.

My guess is that he looks at the situation last year and sees some mitigating factors. Shields' injury forced the younger players into bigger roles before they were ready, and then they all got injured on top of it. Given that both Randall and Rollins had solid rookie seasons and that TT simply trusts his prospect as a draft/develop GM, I have little doubt that he views last year as an unfortunate aberration and looks for both players to get back on track this season.

Now just to be clear, I'm not trying to argue that this is a fool proof plan or that those guys are going to be studs. I'm just pointing out that that's the way that TT operates. He doesn't give up on his picks very quickly. And I don't necessarily blame him, given his track record. And I often see posters criticizing the idea of a rookie corner helping because it's a position that requires development, but at the same time denying the possibility that our 2015 draft picks could potentially develop.

All that said, a cornerback is still in play at #29 as a guy who could contribute without being "the guy."

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Indeed. There are always surprises. And the board "changes" as information leaks about who NFL teams like or dislike (or as false information is purposefully leaked to that effect). Bottom line, I like Conley, King, and Jackson and would be pleased with any of the three.

I think Conley would have the best chance to plug in immediately but I don't expect him there at 29. Like I posted I don't see King dangling there at 29 either. Well see how it all shakes out.

Jackson concerns me as far as being able to play well right away.

If the King and Connelly are gone and Charles Harris is on the board I think they have to take him as he is a day 1 pass rusher with huge upside. If TT addresed corner proir to draft it would really open the board more as well.

That's my biggest issue with the whole thing.

Members online