1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Congrats to Bret Bielema

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by ivo610, Oct 13, 2012.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,017
    Congrats to Bret on tying the 2nd most wins in Wisconsin football history!!!

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,959
    And Ball for td records

3. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76
    I have a feeling you made this thread to antagonize me.

4. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,017
    It's a big year for the program. Lots of records being broken.

I can't control how you feel about the records being broken.

5. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76
    It would be a big year if they actually won the Rose Bowl.

6. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,017
    If you don't think having the longest home winning streak and a player on pace to break the college td record isn't a big deal I question your expectations.

Winning the big 10 would be a successful yr for most

7. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76
    Thats all very good but they dont win the Rose bowl it will probably be for not.

No one will probably remember the 2011 Packers season 20 years from now. Going 15-1 just to go 1 and done.

8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,017
    College football and pro football. Apples n oranges my friend. Different levels of success.

9. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76
    Yea but same logic applys. Would anyone remember the Home Winning streak ect if they crapped out in Bowl season. No anyone wouldent expect maybe a footnote and trivia.

People remember success alot more than failure.

10. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,959
  11. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76
    Do you honestly think 20 years from now anyone would remember the Packers 15-1 season other than Rodgers winning League MVP?

All it would be is a footnote.

12. Jordyruns

Jordyruns Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +172
    I remember the Vikings 15-1 season (I was only 8) and the Steelers 15-1 season............so yeah probably

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    So the vitriol is because we didn't win a pair of Rose Bowls? One in which we went up against a deeper team and another in which TCU formulated an executed a brilliant scheme to attack the Badgers running game. Oregon was and is again this year one of the best teams in the country. We made a game of it in which many thought we would get ran into the ground and blown out. Probably the best offense in the country..

Should have BB made adjustments against TCU and ran almost exclusively between the tackles.. probably. But so should have Cryst.

The fact is, BB followed arguably the best coach in Wisconsin history, and continued to recruit and stay within the conversation of best teams in the country. This season has been one of adjustment to mass changes in the coaching staff, and they are returning to dominance. Recruiting is still strong and the program is moving long term to more of a passing offense via OC.

Do I wish for more? Yep. I wish he wouldn't make the every now and then mistake on the field.. but overall, I think he is a top 25 coach and recruiter. Find a better coach and I will consider it... one that will stay in WI for the long term that is.

• Like Like x 3
  14. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,959
    Nice post!!!!!1 ^^^^

The voice of logic and reason is here

15. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452
    Ball is a beast!!!! Anyone care to speculate as to where he will go in the draft?

16. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,017
    4th - 5th round. Depending on his combine.

17. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    [quote="The fact is, BB followed arguably the best coach in Wisconsin history...[/quote]

There is not a chance BB is the even arguably the best coach in school history. Barry Alvarez rescued this team from complete irrelevance and turned it into a national powerhouse. Multiple Rose Bowl berths and wins. BB continued that tradition and, to his credit, hasn't allowed it to regress. But, there is little doubt that BB is an awful game-day manager and coach. He routinely gets out-maneuvered and went to the Andy Reid school for timeouts. There is just no way he will ever be able to stack up to Alvarez given what BB has to work with - i.e. a team that can already recruit nationally and players want to come to - compared to what Alvarez had to work with - he could only recruit statewide and had to rebuild an entire program. Plus, if BB was Alvarez's equal, he'd have a Rose Bowl victory by now. No chance Alvarez gets outcoached that badly by an inferior TCU team.

18. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,959
    He never said that he said BB followed Barry

19. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    Ha. I read it too fast and missed the operative word "followed". My mistake. Please disregard my rant.

20. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76
    Atleast Berry won Rose bowls.

21. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,959
    Least BARRY had q/b that lasted a half and not break collar bones ;) but lets not a silly broken collar bone stop the bashing

One would think that since you hold BARRY to such GOD like qualities, you could spell his 1st name right

lol

22. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +997
    Bielema=good recruiter, ? game day coach. And he's easy to dislike on TV. He won the first ever Big 10 Championship playoff, and will have another chance to do it this year. I hated the coaching in the TCU Rose Bowl, but they were beaten by a better team last year. We could have a lot worse, that's for sure.

23. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76
    Its a slight typo I was tired.

Barry he was such a damn good coach. He could win games when it mattered.