Conference Championship Thread

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the vikings have a superior defense and where did it get them? They lose a DB for a while and a safety for a half and give up 40+ to a back up. I know, a 1 game sample, though they didn't look much better 2nd half against the saints. They certainly didn't adapt very well. Now, lets see them lose Smith for a career, Rhodes for much of 2 seasons and then retire and see them drafting at 30 and replace those guys too.

It's important to have your important people on the field. When you don't have them, it's hard to win. This other team GB should be more like all year according to fans, STILL hasn't even sniffed the success GB has had, let alone sustained it. but still, next year will probably be another team we should be.

Nah. They just need to be able to play some damn defense and stop people. The common theme especially with the NFC teams that advanced is that they had great defensive teams. Aaron Rodgers is definitely better than Foles, Keenum, Matt Ryan, and many people put him ahead of Brees. Just imagine if he can ever get a top 5 defense? Packers would probably go undefeated all the way to the SB.

D

Deleted member 6794

So the vikings have a superior defense and where did it get them? They lose a DB for a while and a safety for a half and give up 40+ to a back up. I know, a 1 game sample, though they didn't look much better 2nd half against the saints. They certainly didn't adapt very well. Now, lets see them lose Smith for a career, Rhodes for much of 2 seasons and then retire and see them drafting at 30 and replace those guys too.

It's important to have your important people on the field. When you don't have them, it's hard to win. This other team GB should be more like all year according to fans, STILL hasn't even sniffed the success GB has had, let alone sustained it. but still, next year will probably be another team we should be.

On the other hand the Patriots just made it to their eighth Super Bowl since Belichick took over and third in four years while having 11 players on injured reserve as well as losing Gronkowski in the first half.

That's the team the Packers should strive to emulate.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand the Patriots just made it to their eighth Super Bowl since Belichick took over and third in four years while having 11 players on injured reserve as well as losing Gronkowski in the first half.

Lol our coaching staff doesn’t hold a candle to theirs tho that’s the biggest divider. That’s like saying Brett Hundley strives to emulate Rodgers..well he can try, but he doesn’t have the skill set nor mental capacity to ever see the game like Rodgers does. The New England staff makes great adjustments no matter the circumstance...while the Packers Under MM have ALWAYS struggled to adjust. Hate to say it but if Rodgers was in New England he’d probably have 4 or 5 rings by now.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking ahead to next season, you could argue that the Vikings have the most muddled QB situation in the NFC North........

The stars aligned for them to win it all this season, and they didn't get it done. They may have to wait awhile before they get another shot.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but none of them have the most important piece in place with a generational talent at quarterback like the Packers have with Rodgers.

Rodgers is certainly the best, no argument.

Brees is pretty good as well, and he is also stuck on one ring to this point.

One also for Russell Wilson. And Joe Flacco.

Roethlisberger has two, I believe, as does Eli Manning.

Andrew Luck, Matt Stafford, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Alex Smith, Phillip Rivers.......all still waiting for that first.

Green Bay may have underachieved to this point, but they have company.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if it was a fluke or it something in the Viking's defense got exposed these past 2 games. You could actually see it starting in the second quarter of the saints game but the saints just couldn't covert their chances that second quarter.

Here is what I saw.
1. Stop the pass rush and you have opportunities. The Vikings didn't get consistent pressure either game and their dbs got exposed. Waynes got beat a lot and even the all pros Smith and rhodes struggled.
2. Stick with the run. The run opened up especially on the edges which surprised me with Minnesota's speed. They seemed to know the defensive ends would crash hard and made them pay.
3. Use the te. This was especially big for philly.
4. Don't be afrad to throw at Rhodes. Thomas and Jeffrey were able to make catches on Rhodes. And then once Rhodes went out each game that secondary became very vulnerable
5. Viking's over persue. Barr and their other linebackers seemed to take a lot of bad angles.
6. Stay aggressive. Throw it deep. Even one of the ints Brees had should have been a td

All this could be a two game fluke or a blueprint for how to beat the Vikings going forward.

D

Deleted member 6794

Andrew Luck, Matt Stafford, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Alex Smith, Phillip Rivers.......all still waiting for that first.

I understand the Packers have been one of the best teams in the league over the past few years but they're wasting a golden opportunity with Rodgers to be as successful as the Patriots by not surronding him with enough talent.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah. They just need to be able to play some damn defense and stop people. The common theme especially with the NFC teams that advanced is that they had great defensive teams. Aaron Rodgers is definitely better than Foles, Keenum, Matt Ryan, and many people put him ahead of Brees. Just imagine if he can ever get a top 5 defense? Packers would probably go undefeated all the way to the SB.
My argument wasn't that GB has a fine defense. They clearly have been the Achilles heel for whatever reason for a few seasons. I was just hoping that again, the team we should be more like hasn't done anything more than sniff what we have been for a long time. And they lose a player or 2 and what did that defense become? What happens if they pay them and really lose them?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I feel that the bold would have been fine on its own, but trotting out that list of QBs makes me wonder. I'll grant you Brees, although there is the concern that he's a stat *****. Big Ben DOES have two, and the Steelers have to get by the Pats every year. Eli DOES have two, and, although player evaluation is mostly subjective, I think even his eventual HOF status is shaky, much less the contention that he should have had more rings. Don't want to take up more space than necessary, but I'd certainly be prepared to address how much anyone would have expected from the rest of the QBs mentioned. Some of those guys/teams may have underachieved, but not nearly to the extent that an Aaron Rodgers-led team with one Lombardi does.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol our coaching staff doesn’t hold a candle to theirs tho that’s the biggest divider. That’s like saying Brett Hundley strives to emulate Rodgers..well he can try, but he doesn’t have the skill set nor mental capacity to ever see the game like Rodgers does. The New England staff makes great adjustments no matter the circumstance...while the Packers Under MM have ALWAYS struggled to adjust. Hate to say it but if Rodgers was in New England he’d probably have 4 or 5 rings by now.
I wouldn't say they struggle because McCarthy just doesn't make adjustments, period. To paraphrase him, they're not here to reinvent the wheel. They do what they do. Unfortunately beacuse of this philosophy, what they do is "close but no cigar".

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw these stats recently and thought they were interesting. They were on a thread pointing out how nine of the last 10 #1 conference seeds have gone to the Super Bowl.
The only exception were the 2016 Dallas Cowboys (the Packers eliminated them). And as you can see by the chart below, they were the only team that did not have a top 10 defense. Goes to show the importance of both home field and having a quality defense.

Defensive rank (points per drive)
2017 NE 6th
2017 Phi 3rd
2016 NE 2nd
2016 Dal 16th
2015 Den 1st
2015 Car 4th
2014 NE 8th
2014 Sea 2nd

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
My youngest son is a Jaguars fan. He is convinced that as soon as the Jags started getting too big a lead over the Patriots the zebras started throwing flags on the Jags and let the Patriots get away with murder. I told him I thought there were simply some careless penalties on the secondary. But he was like a dog with a bone and wouldn't let go of it.

Atleast your son isnt a Bears fan :laugh:

I think the Jags will be back they are building that team up. I was shocked they made it that far this season.

OP
OP
LambeauLombardi

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Unfortunately the entire Packers organization doesn't hold a candle to the Patriots.

What the Patsies have done I doubt will be matched again in my lifetime in the NFL. Our Pack has already thrown away the last 7 years of the greatest QB play I have ever seen. Best case scenario for me in the next 5 years is 1 Super Bowl win. A roster with zero depth to go along with some very questionable starters, I would be ecstatic if we can be a scary team in 2019. 2018 looks to be real rough.

OP
OP
LambeauLombardi

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If he started the same time as Brady did with the Pats, he'd have 7 imho.

D

Deleted member 6794

My argument wasn't that GB has a fine defense. They clearly have been the Achilles heel for whatever reason for a few seasons. I was just hoping that again, the team we should be more like hasn't done anything more than sniff what we have been for a long time. And they lose a player or 2 and what did that defense become? What happens if they pay them and really lose them?

It's funny that you continue to ignore that most of us want the Packers to strive for being like the Patriots, a team that has definitely had way more success with their future HOF quarterback.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny that you continue to ignore that most of us want the Packers to strive for being like the Patriots, a team that has definitely had way more success with their future HOF quarterback.

Exactly. He’s always had some counter argument against that.