Concerning Manziel and Bridgewater

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My suspicion was that both of these guys would likely be busts, particularly Manziel. Much like Jim Florentine I refuse to call him Johnny Football. Anyway I heard that Manziel did well in the first preseason game but tuned in today and did not see much.
I understand Bridgewater did not fare too well up to now but he did have two 4th quarter touchdowns. Obviously because he plays for our most hated rival I especially want Bridgewater to fall flat on his face.
I was hoping those who have a better pulse on all of the NFL, rather than just the Packers, could help enlighten us on both of these guys. Thanks.

OP
OP
E. Wolf

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure about Bridgewater, but Manziel is looking like a classic bust. He was drafted for his flash, he's way too small, he's continuing to be stubborn with his team, coaches, and ownership about his offseason activities, he's caught up in the fame, and today he wasn't even understanding incoming plays. He's way too distracted and way too tiny. Overrated from the get go, and he has media issues that causes so many players to fail. He's a scrub.

I am a curious cat so maybe I will see if I can find his highlights from the first game. I simply saw a headline stating he looked good.
During the draft I felt conflicted when certain teams were up their picks, certain teams that stand in our way like the Vikings and Cowboys. He is a very volatile pick so part of me wanted them to pick him, but a larger part of me did not. I guess I was relieved when the Browns picked him, but was really amused when they acted like the won the Super Bowl.
Really hoping that bridgewater is a bust too. I think BJ coleman had similar heroics against the Colts a year or two ago (or was it Graham Harrell).

OP
OP
E. Wolf

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Manziel got caught flipping the bird to the Washington bench today. That'll probably bring a nice fine and shows what a scrub he truly is. I looked up the stats on Bridgewater from their game against Arizona and Bridgewater played really well. He had a 136.9 passer rating, 16/20 (80%) passing, 177 passing yards, 8.9 Y/A, 2 TD's, and only 1 sack. Manziel, on the other hand, went 7/16 (43.8%) passing, 65 passing yards, 4.1 Y/A, 1 TD, 3 sacks, 1 bird flipped, and a 76.3 passer rating.
Great minds think alike. I was just going to post this link about the bird:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/johnny-manziel-makes-obscene-gesture-at-redskins-bench-024442345.html

Bridgewater did play against the third stringers though. ... Remember that Colts game?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN just published a poll of 100 NFL players, asking whether Manziel will be a success or a flop. 69% of PLAYERS think he'll be a success (http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/players-manziel-hit/story?id=25039839). He's definitely immature, but if you're going to disqualify someone for the NFL on the basis of immaturity there'd be enough players available for about 2 teams. I don't care for him personally, but he could become another Tarkenton if he can stay healthy and get his brain rewired.

OP
OP
E. Wolf

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN just published a poll of 100 NFL players, asking whether Manziel will be a success or a flop. 69% of PLAYERS think he'll be a success (http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/players-manziel-hit/story?id=25039839). He's definitely immature, but if you're going to disqualify someone for the NFL on the basis of immaturity there'd be enough players available for about 2 teams. I don't care for him personally, but he could become another Tarkenton if he can stay healthy and get his brain rewired.

Those are players not scouts. I am sure players had lots of nice things to say about Matt Leinart or Ryan Leaf back in teh day.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well that settles it. The opinions here trump 56 NFL players' opinions regarding the abilities of an NFL prospect. The expertise on this forum is quite remarkable.

OP
OP
E. Wolf

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well that settles it. The opinions here trump 56 NFL players' opinions regarding the abilities of an NFL prospect. The expertise on this forum is quite remarkable.
I know this--scouts and scouting personnel give no credence to some goofy poll of 56 nfl players. So why should we. Of course those polls are quite suspect. A lot of journalists contend that top 100 list is bs, because they have not even heard of a player selected for that poll.

Members online