Colts sign Tolzien

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good for Scott. He got thrown into a meat grinder in Green Bay and did about as good as one good have expected. Thankfully we never needed to see him again, but it would have been good to see how he truly had progressed in the MM/Van Pelt system.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am definitely not a Colt fan...but if Scott goes in I'll be rooting for them.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Tolzien signed a two-year, $3.5 million contract with the Colts with a $500K signing bonus.

In my next life I want to come back as a career back up QB. Decent money, No special teams work, only sweat you break is running out of the locker room carrying a clip board and chances are pretty good your legs and head still work when you retire. Wait! What do you mean the #1 got hurt and I am going in? :eek:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Best of luck to Tolzien... with the usual caveat.

H

HardRightEdge

Tolzien is fulfilling his destiny as a low-cap-number, career emergency backup who's better with the clipboard in his hands than with the football. That's assuming he actually makes the Colts final cut down. He simply doesn't process on-field fast enough for the NFL game. He evidently could not get a shot to compete as a starter with one of the handful of teams that are barren at the QB position, undershooting even my best case scenario.

When one considers McCarthy's insight into the quarterback position, the paltry cost to retrain Tolzien particularly in light of the Crosby and Perry deals, the fact Hundley has not taken an NFL snap, and the fact Tolzien is making a lateral move indicating the Packers did not have an interest in matching, Tolzien was not deemed adequate for the emergency role relative to Hundley.

Hundley provides one particular advantage that might be overlooked. In an emergency role, he'd present a style, threat and play list that runs counter to opponent expectations with respect to Rodgers. As we all know, Rodgers runs a downfield-first passing game, passing up checkdowns in favor of using his feet to buy time for the downfield throw. When describing Hundley two obvious traits come to mind:

1) A willingness to use his feet to move the chains, not just as a last resort.
2) Short pass accuracy, with a likely adjustment to a more traditional West Coast playlist to match.

That's not what the opponents' game plans are designed for, and unless and until Hundley puts up some tape over the course of a several games, he should be somewhat of a surprise, particularly in the division where teams have been seeing the same opponent doing the same things year after year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Tolzien is fulfilling his destiny as a low-cap-number, career emergency backup who's better with the clipboard in his hands than with the football. That's assuming he actually makes the Colts final cut down. He simply doesn't process on-field fast enough for the NFL game. He evidently could not get a shot to compete as a starter with one of the handful of teams that are barren at the QB position, undershooting even my best case scenario.

When one considers McCarthy's insight into the quarterback position, the paltry cost to retrain Tolzien particularly in light of the Crosby and Perry deals, the fact Hundley has not taken an NFL snap, and the fact Tolzien is making a lateral move indicating the Packers did not have an interest in matching, Tolzien was not deemed adequate for the emergency role relative to Hundley.

It´s no secret we have a different opinion about Tolzien. IMO the salary cap and the coaching staff feeling comfortable with Hundley as the backup were the main reasons the Packers didn´t re-sign him. I was surprised he signed with a team on which he won´t be able to compete for the starting job though.

desertdog55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am happy for him also. He has worked hard and who knows he may eventually work himself into a starting position in the future with another team. Having said that, I feel that if he would have held out a little longer, he would have landed with a team with a better chance to work himself into a starting role. Denver and Cleveland are the teams that came to my mind at first. We can only wish good luck to him, unless he happens to play us. :)