Colledge to Arizona

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure. The younger guys have a larger upside, and after the result of last season, the coaching staff has shown that they can develop young players. I really don't like to see any Packer go, but I don't think it would be a bad move. I wish him luck if he does go, but I also understand the positive side of it.
I hope you are right. I havent' seen too much development on the OL outside of Sitton.

I for one thought Colledge was good in the run game. He could block in space down field. By far our weak link in the run game is Clifton. Great in pass protection but does little in run blocking. When Clifton is replaced, I think our run game will get a big boost.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Official: Via Colledge's Twitter:

Twitter

Without knowing what the signing bonus is, I definitely wouldn't want him at over $5 mill per year for 5 years. Good riddance and let's see what we got.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trust in Ted

LOL Ive been seeing that saying alot so far during these 2 short days of post lockout action... We can trust in Ted... but we all have our own opinions.

I've been seeing it in every thread too. While I do trust Ted and his moves, let's be realistic here. Every move he makes for the rest of his career isn't going to be a home run. I agree with this one and most of them, but at some point there are going to be bad signings/releases/etc.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
My #1 option would be to keep Colledge. If we can't, then I'd bring in a FA because I don't feel comfortable with Lang, Newhouse or McDonald at LG. It's not as if there's a ton of chemistry between the starters on the offensive line and their backups is what I was trying to say.
I'm still trying to figure your reasoning. You don't have confidence in the Packers recent draft picks to move into a starting role even though every single network has admitted Thompson the best draft guru out there? So in order to maintain chemistry let's bring in an outsider right?
Dude, the only reason Colledge beat out Newhouse or McDonald is because he had his reps in. Lang is a tackle, they'd play him there but I believe he's our best tackle backup on the line.Newhouse or McDonald will anchor that line at LG and do far better than Colledge. Sorry, I liked the guy too, but he didn't pan out after his early polish.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure your reasoning. You don't have confidence in the Packers recent draft picks to move into a starting role even though every single network has admitted Thompson the best draft guru out there? So in order to maintain chemistry let's bring in an outsider right?
Dude, the only reason Colledge beat out Newhouse or McDonald is because he had his reps in. Lang is a tackle, they'd play him there but I believe he's our best tackle backup on the line.Newhouse or McDonald will anchor that line at LG and do far better than Colledge. Sorry, I liked the guy too, but he didn't pan out after his early polish.

Thompson was the one who almost got Rodgers killed by going into a season with Allen Barbre at RT and zero depth. He probably got a little lucky with Tauscher's signing halfway through the year. Ted's had a few late-OL picks that just have not worked out. Just because we won a Super Bowl does not he mean is infallible.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Thompson was the one who almost got Rodgers killed by going into a season with Allen Barbre at RT and zero depth. He probably got a little lucky with Tauscher's signing halfway through the year. Ted's had a few late-OL picks that just have not worked out. Just because we won a Super Bowl does not he mean is infallible.
No question about that, I remember it and I still cringe. AND, I agree, he got more than a little lucky with Tauscher. Still, he's invested heavily the last couple of years to upgrade the line. I hear what you're saying but there's no way the Packers would have matched or even come close to what AZ is paying him.
The chemistry was gonna be upset no matter, better now to make the moves in the line so they can start playing together as soon as possible.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No question about that, I remember it and I still cringe. AND, I agree, he got more than a little lucky with Tauscher. Still, he's invested heavily the last couple of years to upgrade the line. I hear what you're saying but there's no way the Packers would have matched or even come close to what AZ is paying him.
The chemistry was gonna be upset no matter, better now to make the moves in the line so they can start playing together as soon as possible.

Tausch wasnt luck...The Pack doctors knew for longest time how long it would take to get back...

The week the said he could make it back he was signed

And I dont buy the chemistry stuff..As you pointed out, do it now so they have time to gel

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow that's a lot of money. No way I'd want him at that price.

Yep. I live in Arizona and work at a restaurant that Cardinals players frequently visit. Last night Daryn came in to eat with some Cardinals guy. Firstly, he was upset that the hostesses didn't know who he was. Then, he left I think less than a 10% tip...

Just saying...

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score

Oh, I know they wouldn't have given him near the money the Cards did and I'm glad that they didn't. Since Colledge is gone, I don't think the guys currently on the roster like Newhouse and Lang have much of an advantage in the chemistry department over a free agent LG.

Sounds like you and I are on the same page now. :friends:

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Tausch wasnt luck...The Pack doctors knew for longest time how long it would take to get back...
The week the said he could make it back he was signed
And I dont buy the chemistry stuff..As you pointed out, do it now so they have time to gel
And you know this because you work for the organization? Consider this.... they didn't make a single solitary move to sign him before hand. So do you mean to tell me they intentionally let Barbre get our QB mauled because they knew it would get better per the doctors? Why wouldn't they at least sign him ahead of time? They wouldn't have to pay him until he plays right?
That's not in keeping with how the organization has worked in the past is it? TT usually moves instantly to shore up shortcomings in the roster. So he was vacationing? I still think they got lucky he was available, just like they were lucky Howard Green was available when he was.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I know they wouldn't have given him near the money the Cards did and I'm glad that they didn't. Since Colledge is gone, I don't think the guys currently on the roster like Newhouse and Lang have much of an advantage in the chemistry department over a free agent LG.

Sounds like you and I are on the same page now. :friends:

From a chemistry standpoint, you're absolutely correct. But it's more than this.

First of all, he knows the playbook, and he fully knows the system. He has played it before. So he's already one big step ahead in that department.

But the key thing is cost-benefit. Management thinks they have the starting LG of the future in Lang, and he's much, much, MUCH cheaper than any FA we would bring.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
And you know this because you work for the organization? Consider this.... they didn't make a single solitary move to sign him before hand. So do you mean to tell me they intentionally let Barbre get our QB mauled because they knew it would get better per the doctors? Why wouldn't they at least sign him ahead of time? They wouldn't have to pay him until he plays right?
That's not in keeping with how the organization has worked in the past is it? TT usually moves instantly to shore up shortcomings in the roster. So he was vacationing? I still think they got lucky he was available, just like they were lucky Howard Green was available when he was.

I think the Howard Green pickup was more shrewd than lucky. Still, your point stands.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
From a chemistry standpoint, you're absolutely correct. But it's more than this.

First of all, he knows the playbook, and he fully knows the system. He has played it before. So he's already one big step ahead in that department.

But the key thing is cost-benefit. Management thinks they have the starting LG of the future in Lang, and he's much, much, MUCH cheaper than any FA we would bring.

Good point, any of the guys on the roster would be much cheaper than a free agent but I haven't seen anything from Lang that makes me think he's any more than a backup.

Members online

Latest posts