Clay Matthews moving?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Pistol Pete over at the Press-Gazette:

Nick Perry played left outside linebacker in his first rookie-orientation camp practice today, which raises at least the possibility the Packers plan to move Clay Matthews to the right side.

The Packers selected Perry in the first round of this year’s draft as a likely immediate starter at outside linebacker.

Coach Mike McCarthy gave no indication of the team’s plans, and there’s always the possibility the Packers will work Perry on the right side later in this camp. But considering they’re trying to get Perry ready to play as fast as possible, they’re also unlikely to give him many snaps on the side he’s not likely to play this season.

“It’s a starting point,” McCarthy said. “That’s — we played Nick Perry exclusively on the left side (today), so that will be the starting point for him.”

Matthews played on the right side his rookie year of 2009, then played left side the last two seasons. As a rule of thumb, teams that play 3-4 defenses generally play their bigger outside linebacker on the left side on the theory that offenses run more to their right (the defense’s left). Perry is about 270 pounds, which is 15 pounds more than Matthews’ listed playing weight last season. Matthews looked closer to 245 than 255.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's about the end of the season not the beginning. I would prefer him to keep clay at his spot but I trust the coaching staff.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Clay will be disruptive and destructive regardless of where he's lined up. Perry needs to be put in the best position right now that will help him excel and develop as quickly as possible. Where ever it is, put him there and lets start getting after the QB

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I posted this before the draft:
I also wonder if Capers would consider moving Clay back to ROLB and having the new starting OLB play on the left side. Of course I trust Capers, Greene and the staff to know better than I but ROLB is the more traditional pass rushing spot compared to LOLB. However, I don’t know which spot is more challenging for a rookie and of course it will make more sense for the rookie to play the "easier" spot. Failing that switch I’d like to see Clay moved around more on passing downs, but that’s a discussion for another day.
So I obviously agree it makes sense to start Perry on the left side. Offenses can create matchups but in traditional sets when Perry drops in coverage he’d be covering the TE. That should be an easier matchup for him than a RB out of the backfield. And Clay would be back to the pass rushing spot with fewer responsibilities vs. the run.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mathews moved around a lot last year, as do a lot of guys in Camper's system, not worried about it regardless. I see it helping the entire defense with these guys that where drafted at lest giving guys a rest in the front 7

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
Good move. When Clay gets double teamed, the second player will be a RB instead of a TE.

I think they are going to play Worthy on the weak side and that will work to Clays advantage also.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, the better offensive tackle usually plays left tackle so you would want someone like clay going up against them as opposed to a rookie.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted this before the draft: So I obviously agree it makes sense to start Perry on the left side. Offenses can create matchups but in traditional sets when Perry drops in coverage he’d be covering the TE. That should be an easier matchup for him than a RB out of the backfield. And Clay would be back to the pass rushing spot with fewer responsibilities vs. the run.
The ROLB has to go up against the LOT, which typically is the best pass blocker on an O-Line. However, if you can get passed the blocking, you have a right-handed QB's blind side.

The LOLB generally goes against a less skilled ROT, however, the QB can see him coming and can dump the ball off or start evasive maneuvers.

Each side has its advantages. I think the switch back will increase Clay's sack total because I think he has the ability to beat most LOTs at least once per game giving him some sack opportunities.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it would not make much sense to start giving Perry reps on one side and then move back to the other once OTA and Training Camp starts. I think both sides have pros and cons for both players, and I also think this is a telling move as to what would could see coming into the 2012 campaign

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either way, we gonna see a lot more of this in 2002-2013, than we did last season:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

THE QB HIT LIST for 2012 looks like this for Clay (thru the bye):

1. Alex Smith
  2. Jay Cutler
  3. Matt Flynn
  4. Drew Brees
  5. Andy Luck
  6. Matt Schaub
  7. Sam Bradford
  8. Blaine Gabbert
  9. Kevin Kolb

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The reason ROLB is the pass rushers’ spot is because most offenses are right-handed. So the LOLB has greater responsibility defending the run and often faces the RT & TE in a double team. Clay is still going to be doubled, but as 60six posted, he’ll have a better go of it vs. the LT & RB in addition to attacking the blind side of a right-handed QB as Amish posted. Of course it’s not in stone but if Perry can perform at 270 pounds IMO it makes sense to have him on the strong side.

Members online

Latest posts