Christine Michael cut

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Watching the Packers cut both Jackson and Michael, this quickly, really pulls the curtain back on what the Packers really had for players at RB for most of last year. Being replaced by rookies who have never taken a snap in the NFL.

Are any of Randall, Rollins or Gunter next? :whistling:

Goodson being shown the door won't surprise me, depending on the whole injury settlement issue as to when its most prudent to release him.

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Again, I'm still concerned about the RB situation.

Guess there isn't going to be so much of an all out competition as we originally anticipated. What's that leave us with now? Monty and 3 rookies? I think there's still cause for concern at this point.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't like this cut.

We're placing too much value on TyM and his ability healthy whole season. One freak injury and we'll moan about having to play rookies.

It's not like we were paying CM way too much to warrant a cut.

Reeks of bad depth management.

Sky King

Reaction score
I really don't like this cut.

We're placing too much value on TyM and his ability healthy whole season. One freak injury and we'll moan about having to play rookies.

It's not like we were paying CM way too much to warrant a cut.

Reeks of bad depth management.
I can understand your apprehension. But, unfortunately, Michael appears to have a size 48 chest and wears a size 3 hat.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Again, I'm still concerned about the RB situation.

Guess there isn't going to be so much of an all out competition as we originally anticipated. What's that leave us with now? Monty and 3 rookies? I think there's still cause for concern at this point.

We leaned on Lacy as a rookie. Williams is a pretty sharp guy. I think we will be okay.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not so sure why people are concerned about losing Jackson and Michael? Look at what they provided last year. Maybe people are lamenting the loss of what either could potentially be? Which is what we are left with, the potential of 3 rookies and of course some unknowns with Monty. I would rather bank on Monty and 3 rookies than Monty, Michael and Jackson. Guessing MM didn't want 6 RB's splitting snaps and vying for 2-3 jobs.

A vet FA RB would still be nice, but I don't see it happening now, especially if TT and the Packers are high on any or all of these rookies.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
guess it was more of when than if. surprised by this one. good luck to both of them.

Seems like this organization has more faith in williams than we thought. don't blame them! hopefully it works out!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Michael can't catch or block. He is a one cut and go one trick pony. He totally cost us momentum in the Dallas playoff game with a bonehead play. He has had issues with the play book everywhere he has been.

I liked his burst through the hole but he just scared me with mental lapses. I like going young here.

TXPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From lurking the board a few days pre-draft, a lot of members seem to like safety. The vets are the safe picks to earn carries going fwd, but

Michael, aside from a few runs where he showed great burst, couldn't beat out a converted WR and FB for more snaps.

I forgot Jackson was even on the team til I read a few threads. (I'm obviously not getting Packer-centric coverage here and just started looking for forums).

Ty, to me is comparable to Dare Ogunbawale of the Badgers. He CAN get you through games and will certainly be a weapon in the pass game, but are you a successful team with him as your #1?

There are countless impact rookies at RB. GB will have (another) one this fall imo. One of these guys will burst onto the scene and not look back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Michael and Janis were roommates or at least 2 guys who studied the playbook together. Ton of potential, but just not the ability to get it on the field.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so sure why people are concerned about losing Jackson and Michael? Look at what they provided last year. Maybe people are lamenting the loss of what either could potentially be? Which is what we are left with, the potential of 3 rookies and of course some unknowns with Monty. I would rather bank on Monty and 3 rookies than Monty, Michael and Jackson. Guessing MM didn't want 6 RB's splitting snaps and vying for 2-3 jobs.

A vet FA RB would still be nice, but I don't see it happening now, especially if TT and the Packers are high on any or all of these rookies.
Exactly, Jackson wasn't anything special. Michael was a leading rusher, cut from a team that bases its team off defense and running the ball. He came here and I saw why. He's a bundle of energy going in 40 directions at once. i don't think he offers us anymore than a "hand him the ball and see which way he goes" type back in this offense.

and lets face it, this offense goes thru Rodgers, it should always from this point forward. and if you don't know blitz pick ups, play changes, audibles, and every other nuance to playing offense from that position, you don't have a lot of worth to this team. I didn't expect GB to draft as many RB's as they did, that is true. But I also didn't think Michael was ever going to be much for us either and was hoping he'd be replaced.

and ETA: i think Montgomery has everything we need from a #1 rb in this offense. Will he stay healthy? that's the only ? I have. But this offense needs to start and end with Rodgers and I think Ty is a perfect guy to have in the backfield with him to run that offense. But history has shown, we'll need more than 1. and some pounders would be nice for situational football.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with cutting Michael, I just don't think now was the time to do it when you don't know what the rookies will bring moving forward.

It could turn out okay, but I just don't like the prospects of moving forward with Monty and three rookies.

Michael is nothing special and may not know the whole playbook, but he's got more knowledge than the three guys coming in. Hopefully one of those guys busts it and proves to be a value rotational guy this season, but again, we're looking at a lack of depth, unless Thompson signs a vet somewhere down the line, which could still happen.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he did know anything though. I think he was relegated to taking the ball and running somewhere with it. I don't think he could be relied upon to do anything else. and he wasn't a great runner. he was ok, but he went now where as often as he went forward. They were all exciting runs though, that's for sure. Never saw so much activity no matter how many yards were gained or lost I felt like it was a 15 yard run :) I don't think he's tough to replace.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing of value was lost. He had his chance to show something but doesn't execute. The fact they didn't keep him till training camp shows they have faith he would not make the team.

Sky King

Reaction score
It's one thing to be creative running with the ball in his hands, another to be unreliable with or without the ball in his hands. He was just a stop-gap journeyman player that briefly helped the team to get through an injury-riddled season at the RB position. Time to move-on.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Huzzah! Hopefully he was able to find the way out of the building.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Christine Michael (or someone like him) will be available during Training Camp cuts if someone like this is needed. This is no loss.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with cutting Michael, I just don't think now was the time to do it when you don't know what the rookies will bring moving forward.

It could turn out okay, but I just don't like the prospects of moving forward with Monty and three rookies.

Michael is nothing special and may not know the whole playbook, but he's got more knowledge than the three guys coming in. Hopefully one of those guys busts it and proves to be a value rotational guy this season, but again, we're looking at a lack of depth, unless Thompson signs a vet somewhere down the line, which could still happen.

I understand, but my guess is that they don't want a guy with no future in GB (or, possibly, anywhere) taking snaps from rookies at any point.

Personally, I'm pleased just to know that he won't be on the team. The guy is a walking mental error. And frankly I find all the salivating over his talent (now four years in with nothing to show for it) a little tedious at this point.

I would much rather sign a different veteran than have Christine Michael being the oldest voice in the room.