Chris Banjo headed to IR

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

The safety will be healthy in three to four weeks but it seems the Packers might add another cornerback to the roster.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Anyone else think TT is trying to duplicate his success of 2010 when 16 guys ended up on IR? :coffee:

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We still have five safeties so while I'm not overly concerned at that position, Banjo was a great special teamer. Hopefully this doesn't set off a Bostic-like series of events for the ST.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
*quietly awaits the news that #___ is going on IR* ok, not going to mention this players # in fear of jinxing things, but if anyone sees Olivia Munn headed to a hospital....Amish better get his 107th Annual Draft thread ready to keep us busy for the rest of the season.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

According to sources the Packers are trying to reach an injury settlement with Banjo meaning he will most likely be released within the next few days as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
According to sources the Packers are trying to reach an injury settlement with Banjo meaning he will most likely be released within the next few days as well.

Moves like this and the one with Abby, kind of make you wonder if the Packers evaluation of those 2 players talents were incorrect. Sure, a fringe player with recurring injuries isn't exactly the type of player you want to carry on your 53, but both guys were vets expected to contribute in some way. So releasing them due to a minor injury says to me, the Packers feel that neither of the 2 were talented enough to carry any longer.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Moves like this and the one with Abby, kind of make you wonder if the Packers evaluation of those 2 players talents were incorrect. Sure, a fringe player with recurring injuries isn't exactly the type of player you want to carry on your 53, but both guys were vets expected to contribute in some way. So releasing them due to a minor injury says to me, the Packers feel that neither of the 2 were talented enough to carry any longer.

The NFL doesn't allow teams to stash players on injured reserve that will be healthy in less than six weeks at the current point of the season. The Packers needed the roster spots though and therefore had to put Abbrederis and Banjo on IR with a minor designation, meaning they either have to reach an injury settlement over waive them once they're healthy.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Releasing them doesn't just get rid of them though. Since it seems their injuries were relatively minor and they were IR mostly because GB needed roster spots releasing them gives them a chance to still come back and play at some point later in the season whether it's for us or someone else.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Releasing them doesn't just get rid of them though. Since it seems their injuries were relatively minor and they were IR mostly because GB needed roster spots releasing them gives them a chance to still come back and play at some point later in the season whether it's for us or someone else.

Other teams are allowed to sign either Abbrederis or Banjo (if he really gets waived) weeks before the Packers though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The NFL doesn't allow teams to stash players on injured reserve that will be healthy in less than six weeks at the current point of the season. The Packers needed the roster spots though and therefore had to put Abbrederis and Banjo on IR with a minor designation, meaning they either have to reach an injury settlement over waive them once they're healthy.

Agreed. Had the Packers viewed either of them as talent they wanted to keep moving forward, they would have kept them on the 53 while they recouped from their non season ending injuries. Obviously, they were both on the bubble at positions the Packers felt deep enough at to release them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I liked Abby and he showed potential, he just never really seized the limited opportunities he had on the field. Banjo to me is the bigger loss, if he is released. While he probably will never be a starter, he was a good special teams contributor and an adequate fill in player on defense.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Banjo to me is the bigger loss, if he is released. While he probably will never be a starter, he was a good special teams contributor and an adequate fill in player on defense.

While I agree with Banjo being a core special teams player Kentrell Brice passed him early this season on the depth chart at safety and the coaching staff was hesitant playing him on defense.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Banjo was a Frank Zombo type of guy. He's adequate when needed but for what you get, I'd rather give young guys a shot.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Banjo was a Frank Zombo type of guy. He's adequate when needed but for what you get, I'd rather give young guys a shot.

LOL....and right.....but isn't Zombo still playing for the Chiefs and the guys we kept instead of him....Brad Jones, Lattimore, Mulamba.....well enough said. :D

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Banjo released after injury settlement. Thanks for your service Chris and good luck to you!