1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Charles Johnson is gone

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by GoPGo, Oct 12, 2013.

1. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    The Browns disagree with you, and there's plenty of work to be gotten now. No time like the present to learn.

Where did Cruz go? Where did Colston go?

2. P-E-Z

P-E-Z Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    he got a big whiff today..... how many dropped passes?

3. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,126
    Cruz played 3 games with no catches his rookie year. U Mass was FCS at the time.

With Colston you have an argument. Hofstra, 7th. round, 1,000+ as a rookie. However, did he miss all of camp and preseason, and then switch teams? I made a point of the "and" with Johnson if that wasn't obvious ;)...small college AND no work...now he has to learn a new system before even having a chance to learn the first one on a team with a QB controversy.

Even if Colston had been hurt and bounced around, think about how rare it is for a small college 7th. rounder to get play at WR his rookie year? Most of the major college first rounders have struggles.

I'm not saying Cleveland won't throw him out there at some point, but that doesn't mean they should. I'm not yet familiar with they're level of desperation. I'm sure they like the guy, had to put him on the 53 to keep him, and figured they might get some inside poop about what the Pack might be up to. Everybody likes a two-fer.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  4. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +784
    Allow me to demonstrate. Your thought would have been better conveyed as follows:

Rice and Reed were productive in their first years but had not yet become stars.

See? Much better. English is a marvelously colorful language.

Likewise.

5. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +831
    Not sure if it was him breaking his route off too soon or Rodgers under throwing it.....probably both. The 2 looked like they had never practiced that play together though.

6. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,126
    LMAO

7. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +784
    Good to see you're so easily amused. :confused::laugh::roflmao:

8. sjb12681

sjb12681 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +68
    Looks like charles johnson suffered a torn acl too, according to pft.com. maybe just being a packer at some point is snake biting these guys

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +831
    A torn ACL?? I don't even remember him playing last week for them.

10. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +831
    Wow!!! According to the story he showed up to his physical with the torn ACL. Who still signs a guy anyways in that condition? Secondly...how the hell did Pepper and his guys not catch this. He could have been protected on IR then.

11. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +784
    Wouldn't we have to sign him to a minimum contract to put him on IR?

12. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +831
    Not sure what the rules are regarding that. The other 7th rd pick is on IR but I believe he was still on the roster before final cuts.

13. mradtke66

mradtke66 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +171
    You're suffering from selective reading. He's not dismissing him, he's dismissing him FOR. THIS. YEAR. Charles Johnson may go on to set every single reason receiving record. This year, even if he was healthy, he's not even a project. He's a tree to be cut down next year to turn into the wood that will become a project.

Other great players, including Jerry Rice, had pedestrian rookie seasons. Coming from a small school contributes to that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +784
    Nothing selective about it. I was specifically pointing that that being from a small school is no reason to dismiss a player. That happens to be true. The NFL has tons of quality players from small time schools. The Packers alone have 7 or 8 on the active roster. I had no argument with the rest of it. Why are you churning this back up after 3 days?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,126
    And yet here we are. I think somebody disagrees with you.

16. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    The Browns, for the rights to him next year. From what I hear, HRE told them he was immediately going to be a stud hoping they'd play an liability WR next week. Then when they found his comments here, they figured if he was a year away they could just put him on the NFI list until then. Factory of sadness.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    WTH @ Charles Johnson

Packers are getting sick of keeping all these injuries to themselves. No time like the present to share them with the league starting with this weeks opponent- the Browns.

At the rate we're going MOST of the Packer players will be injured pretty soon :sick: so why not just keep the token healthy guys on a seperate squad, rename the injured reserve the healthy reserve and the injured can join the rest of the crippled on the main roster. LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  18. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +384
  19. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,773
    I`m SO glad you said that. I like Aaron Rodgers but, in my opinion there has been a lot of over and under throwing as well as poor catches too of course. I`m all for blame where blame is necessary but all the overthrows can`t be blamed totally on the recievers ability. JMHO

20. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,422
    There is a good story about Charles Johnson in the Mpls paper this morning. The portrait that the author paints of McCarthy isn't flattering, but we're rivals so I understand:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/283437931.html

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2014
  21. AKCheese

AKCheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +104
  22. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,828
    I don't think it was unflattering. McCarthy has a lot more to think and worry about other than a rookie who wasn't healthy enough to challenge for a roster spot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    Yea I seen the Vikes ended up with Charles Johnson. He had some supremely awesome stats in d2. All the physical skills. He looked like he belongs for sure.
    I will be watching

24. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,422
    On the other hand, it makes it look like McCarthy barely knows about the Vikings most productive WR as of lately. I know that's not the case, but I think the article paints him in that light.

This obviously isn't a big deal

25. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,126
    Right...so McCarthy couldn't remember why they drafted Charles Johnson off the top of his head. Big deal. If memory serves, Johnson missed all or nearly all of his rookie training camp with an injury. McCarthy would have had little experience with him. Show him a little tape and his memory would be jogged I'm sure. Thompson knows why he drafted him...6 years from now he might bring him back in off the street.

Johnson's a small college WR, with his 3rd. team, logging 12 career catches midway through his second season. He should be just starting to get the hang of the pro game. He could turn out to be a player. Or maybe not. Regardless, he certainly couldn't crack out top 3 WRs, and maybe not the top 5 or 6 or 7 WRs today, considering Janis, Abbrederis and White.