Charles Johnson is gone

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Signed by Browns. Crap. I was looking forward to seeing what he could do.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The new Browns front office seems to want to look at every fringe player they can...

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right...Johnson's a small college guy who got no work in camp or the preseason. He's not ready to play.
Small college is irrelevant. Driver was a small college guy. Rice was a VERY small college guy. Andre Reed went to Kutztown University. Look at how many big college guys flop. And ready to play or not, we could use him now.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You sure about that now?
If Ted wanted him on the roster he would have been on the roster. There were job openings for special teams players and Hill and Nixon got them. Johnson was a project and he was more like Jordy position wise. Tyrone Walker from the preseason is a much better fit in that position. If Johnson was still on the PS I bet he would have remained on the PS with White getting the call up because of those reasons.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Ted wanted him on the roster he would have been on the roster.

If he didn't want him on the roster he wouldn't have drafted him or put him on the practice squad at all.

There were job openings for special teams players and Hill and Nixon got them. Johnson was a project and he was more like Jordy position wise. Tyrone Walker from the preseason is a much better fit in that position. If Johnson was still on the PS I bet he would have remained on the PS with White getting the call up because of those reasons.

If Johnson was ready to go there's no reason to believe he wouldn't be called up ahead of White. White showed absolutely nothing in preseason and Johnson was the guy with the upside. I bet if he was on the PS now he'd be called up by tomorrow morning.

H

HardRightEdge

Small college is irrelevant. Driver was a small college guy. Rice was a VERY small college guy. Andre Reed went to Kutztown University. Look at how many big college guys flop. And ready to play or not, we could use him now.
Instead creating straw men, why not argue against the point I ACTUALLY made. Go back and look, dude. I said HE'S NOT READY TO PLAY because he's GOTTEN NO WORK.

Donald Driver's catches in his first 3 seasons were 3, 21 and 13, respectively.

Reed and Rice were productive in their first seasons, but hardly stars.

Rice: 1st. round pick, stardom in year 2
Reed: 4th. round pick, solid from the start, first 1,000 yd. season in year 5.
Driver: 7th. round pick, inconsequential in year 1, bit player in years 2 and 3, feature receiver in year 4.
Johnson: 7th. round pick, ?

You really had to go back 30 years to find examples?

C'mon, dude, get real.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald Driver's catches in his first 3 seasons were 3, 21 and 13.

Reed and Rice were productive in their first seasons, but hardly stars.

What the hell are you smoking? Andre Reed was a 7-time Pro Bowler and Jerry Rice... well, if you don't know anything about him I can't help you.

Instead of continuing to take issue with straw men, points of your own creation, why not argue against the point I ACTUALLY made.

And half of your point was that you dismiss him because he went to a small school. Therefore, it's open to rebuttal. Get over it.

Go back and look, dude. I said HE"S NOT READY TO PLAY because he's GOTTEN NO WORK.

Sheesh.

Feel better?

Now that that's out of the way, nobody said Johnson was ready to play! But this is a critical situation and White is no more ready to play than he was. Like I said, if TT didn't want him he wouldn't have drafted him and put him on the PS, now would he???

And BTW, practice squad work is STILL WORK. (See, I have a caps lock key too :)

H

HardRightEdge

What the hell are you smoking? Andre Reed was a 7-time Pro Bowler and Jerry Rice... well, if you don't know anything about him I can't help you.

And half of your point was that you dismiss him because he went to a small school. Therefore, it's open to rebuttal. Get over it.

Feel better?

Now that that's out of the way, nobody said Johnson was ready to play! But this is a critical situation and White is no more ready to play than he was. Like I said, if TT didn't want him he wouldn't have drafted him and put him on the PS, now would he???

And BTW, practice squad work is STILL WORK. (See, I have a caps lock key too :)

Practice squad? Really? With one padded practice per week and all the focus on game planning? And you can't hold two factors in your head at the same time...small college and no work?

There are so many straw men running around here you'd think it was Thanksgiving. Oh, yeah, tomorrow is Canadian Thanksgiving, eh? I said they were hardly stars in their first year, dude. You honestly think I don't know who Rice and Reed are? You're silly.

You can have the last word...again.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Practice squad? Really? With one padded practice per week and all the focus on game planning? And you can't hold two factors in your head at the same time...small college and no work?

There are so many straw men running around here you'd think was Thanksgiving. Oh, yeah, tomorrow is Canadian Thanksgiving, eh?

You used the fact that Johnson went to a small school as one of your reasons to dismiss him. I debunked that idea thoroughly with 2 prime examples among many others.

You seriously don't need to be crowing about how brilliant you are and how dumb anyone else is when you don't even know anything about Jerry Rice and Andre Reed. You lost any shred of credibility you had right there when you said they were "hardy stars" as YOU put it.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I can say this that the Packers would have probably promoted Charles Johnson to the Active Roster "Raw or Not" if it weren't for the injuries at RB {Starks & Franklin}. They promoted Nixon because the Buffalo Bills wanted to sign him like most other GB Players they signed. GB knew that Cleveland was going to sign Johnson or looking at signing him but made the call to promote Hill based only on need not explosiveness.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted GB to keep Johnson out of training camp just because of his upside.

Johnson, a seventh-round pick in this year's draft, suffered a sprained MCL in June and spent the first five weeks on Green Bay's practice squad. An intriguing height-weight-speed prospect, he'll immediately step in as Cleveland's No. 5 receiver and should push for playing time in four-wide sets.

H

HardRightEdge

You used the fact that Johnson went to a small school as one of your reasons to dismiss him. I debunked that idea thoroughly with 2 prime examples among many others.

You seriously don't need to be crowing about how brilliant you are and how dumb anyone else is when you don't even know anything about Jerry Rice and Andre Reed. You lost any shred of credibility you had right there when you said they were "hardy stars" as YOU put it.

Sorry...I wanted to give the last word, but I need to answer an accusation.

I don't crow about how dumb everyone else is. I award "agrees" when, well, I agree. I post my disagreements. That I might disagree more than I agree, well, so be it.

I don't think you're dumb, I think you said some dumb things. I think you're being argumentative for the sake of argument about things you are misinformed about, while putting words in my mouth, which is really the icing on the cake. Have a better day tomorrow.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think you're dumb, I think you said some dumb things. I think you're being argumentative for the sake of argument about things you are misinformed about,

That's your opinion. I can say the exact same about you.

while putting words in my mouth, which is really the icing on the cake. Have a better day tomorrow.

What words did I put in your mouth? I said Rice and Andre Reed both came from VERY small schools. You said, and I QUOTE, "Reed and Rice were productive in their first seasons, but hardly stars."

I don't understand how anyone who knows anything about football can make such a claim with a straight face.

YOU said that, not I. Own it. I'm sorry, but I haven't said a thing any dumber than that. I'm not sure anyone has. Those guys were both stud WRs. It's really not even debatable. Sounds like arguing for the sake of arguing to me, which is what you accused me of doing. Have a good night. Gotta head off to work.

H

HardRightEdge

That's your opinion. I can say the exact same about you.

What words did I put in your mouth? I said Rice and Andre Reed both came from VERY small schools. You said, and I QUOTE, "Reed and Rice were productive in their first seasons, but hardly stars."

I don't understand how anyone who knows anything about football can make such a claim with a straight face.

YOU said that, not I. Own it. I'm sorry, but I haven't said a thing any dumber than that. I'm not sure anyone has. Those guys were both stud WRs. It's really not even debatable. Sounds like arguing for the sake of arguing to me, which is what you accused me of doing. Have a good night. Gotta head off to work.

You're making a fool of yourself. I said Reed and Rice were hardly stars in THEIR FIRST YEARS.

Had you bothered to read the rest of the post, you would have seen that I noted Rice achieved stardom IN HIS SECOND YEAR and that Reed got to 1,000 yards in his 5th. year.

C'mon man, give it up.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're making a fool of yourself. I said Reed and Rice were hardly stars in THEIR FIRST YEARS.

Then try to be more clear in your choice of words. The way you worded it can easily be construed to mean that they were only productive in their first years and that they were hardly stars at all. Surely you can see where you could have phrased it better. Anyway. Truce... eh?

H

HardRightEdge

Then try to be more clear in your choice of words. The way you worded it can easily be construed to mean that they were only productive in their first years and that they were hardly stars at all. Surely you can see where you could have phrased it better. Anyway. Truce... eh?

No, I think it was crystal clear where I was headed in the first place. You didn't read the post. How about you try to read what's there, not what you want to be there? Better luck next time.

Truce? Sure. I'm always at peace when not being baited.

Latest posts