Changing James Starks' Running style

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
The 6'2" Starks' high style likely contributed to an injury-prone college career that included dual shoulder surgeries. A terrific receiver with 4.5 speed, Starks offers lots of upside if he avoids the injury bug and runs with better pad level. He could push Brandon Jackson out of the No. 2 back role

If it keeps him from getting injured, I see no problem with it. Hopefully when push comes to shove he maintains his quick instincts

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL I wasn't really making a complaint about anything. Just wanted to make a side joke on Mccarthy. He really is obsessed with "pad levels" :)

If it helps Starks avoid injury then I'm all for it. However the report points out that this "may" prevent injury because it's not a gaurantee. For all we know changing his running style may not even fix the problem. His physicians haven't said where the shoulder injury even came from.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pad Level is always the key for Mike.

Starks reminds me of Eric ****erson in terms of size and running style.
****erson wouldn't have a HOF career if he was starting his career in today's football IMO.

Have any of us ever seen Starks play? What network televised Buffalo games? Even the Bills aren't on national TV anymore.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pad Level is always the key for Mike.

Starks reminds me of Eric ****erson in terms of size and running style.
****erson wouldn't have a HOF career if he was starting his career in today's football IMO.

Have any of us ever seen Starks play? What network televised Buffalo games? Even the Bills aren't on national TV anymore.

Probably over in buffalo but other than that I don't remember seeing a Buffalo game except for last year. And I'm not sure Starks was their main runner last year.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There werent very many Buffalo games I saw maybe one on ESPN 2 late at night once, but honestly can't say that I paid a lot of attention to him, after all, it was a Buffalo game haha

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably over in buffalo but other than that I don't remember seeing a Buffalo game except for last year. And I'm not sure Starks was their main runner last year.

He wasn't. He was out the whole year and had to have shoulder surgery I think.

MelrosE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Starks does well and beats out Grant for the starting job. Probably not going to happen this year, but within the next few seasons I could see it happen. I think he's more flashy and is more of a threat than Grant. I think these guys are going to make a nice 1-2 punch.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a best friend who lives in Buffalo (Lake Side) and is a die-hard Packer fan. He never watched a Buffalo College game in his life. What are they, the Thundering Herd like Marshall? The Bills, Sabres, Bison, Bulls?
Check that... I never knew he had watched some Thundering Heard, but he says he did in 2008 because that team won that conference for the first time ever.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Starks does well and beats out Grant for the starting job. Probably not going to happen this year, but within the next few seasons I could see it happen. I think he's more flashy and is more of a threat than Grant. I think these guys are going to make a nice 1-2 punch.

I am really high on Starks. I think he is a monster, he has good cuts, good movement and decent speed. He also has great hands. He can catch the ball too. Personally, I think that in 2-3 years he will be the starter. I can't wait I think he has the potential to be a monster in the NFL. The Packers got a steal in round 6 for him, if he wasn't injured he may have gone as high as rounds 2 or 3. Being from Buffalo hurt him a little bit, but honestly, I don't care. For some reason he reminds me of Ray Rice, but I am not sure why.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still not as sold on Starks as many of you guys are. Maybe it's because pf my infatuation for quick, elusive runners. Overall Starks doesn't really have much of that nor the ability to truck and run over guys. He does possess a tiny bit of each characteristic with the ability to make catches.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Childress said he was gonna have to change, Adrian Peterson's style when he came out in the draft, AP ran upright as a tree in college. This doesn't worry me, if anything this say's MM is really liking Starks, and Starks is putting in the 1 on 1 time to learn better technique.

bravesman18

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm completely behind McCarthy, so whatever he says goes. I still wish he would show some more intensity and passion sometimes(when the Pack make big mental errors he still pretty much stands there and makes that funny face). I really felt like he coached his *** off in the playoff game vs the Cardinals(who on earth saw that on-sider coming from HIM??) Pad-level, however basic it sounds, is important in football.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I'm completely behind McCarthy, so whatever he says goes. I still wish he would show some more intensity and passion sometimes(when the Pack make big mental errors he still pretty much stands there and makes that funny face). I really felt like he coached his *** off in the playoff game vs the Cardinals(who on earth saw that on-sider coming from HIM??) Pad-level, however basic it sounds, is important in football.

I agree completely, if you look at the situations he has been in, in the playoff's, you'd have to say he does a damn good job.(2007 was favre's fault, and last years cardinal game, keeping the pack in it and getting the lead in the 4th quarter was a superb coaching job) Regular season he makes some questionable calls, but it happens.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly if you think about it his ability to play call and get us back into that Cardinals game was nothing short of magic. It was really our defense that blew that game, and that is not to say Dom Capers made the wrong calls, but it just looked like our defensive players were tired and they couldn't make the plays.

Members online

Latest posts