Can you believe the difference?

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJLrxjq5pJg]YouTube - Arizona Cardinals vs Green Bay Packers (Wildcard Playoff Game)[/ame]

this was only a year ago when our defense played like this. one year later and our defense is a powerhouse.

btw love all the amazing catches made and how cool aaron was the whole time

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea that made me sick last year...somewhere on this forum I posted something about aaron will never forget that feeling of defeat in that game & will use that going into the following year

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The big difference is we put pressure on the QB this year. If Cullen Jenkins leaves, we better get another great pass rusher if we're going to continue our defensive dominance.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The big difference is we put pressure on the QB this year. If Cullen Jenkins leaves, we better get another great pass rusher if we're going to continue our defensive dominance.
I don't agree with this.

The biggest difference was coverage. Take a look at the first and second half of the SB. Before and after Shields and Woodson went down.

We were DOMINATING the Steelers completely. Then we're forced to play a lot of zone in the second with secondary scrubs, and we almost lose the game.

Of course the pass rush improved tremenduously, specially the inside pressure that I so clamored last year. Raji and Jenkins made things a lot easier when the secondary wasn't as stout. And CM3 is CM3.

Also, being in the second year in the scheme, it's much easier for the players, they can play a lot faster.

There's also the ILB position. Hawk was a much better communicator than Barnett, Bishop was a clear improvement over both, and with Chillar on the IR, we didn't have as much coverage breakdowns as we used to.

But if I had to single out one reason for the improved sucess, it's the secondary. Tramon elevating to shutdown corner status and Sam Shields playing so well and being so fast, it made all the difference. We could take away a receiver without having to shift coverage nor double team, our nickel corner was as good as any slot receiver, it allowed Woodson to be used as a rover, and create wravoc everywhere.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I find curious is how face mask penalties have worked against us in both post seasons.
Last year in AZ the refs missed one which could have changed the outcome of that game.
This year the refs make a bogus one against the Pack in the SB.
Just a connection I find interesting.

BigBayBlues

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But if I had to single out one reason for the improved sucess, it's the secondary. Tramon elevating to shutdown corner status and Sam Shields playing so well and being so fast, it made all the difference. We could take away a receiver without having to shift coverage nor double team, our nickel corner was as good as any slot receiver, it allowed Woodson to be used as a rover, and create wravoc everywhere.

Agree 100%. Our secondary was the dagger for many teams this year and saved our butts when the offense was having trouble scoring.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not to worry. Mike Neal and johnny Jolly come back next season, plus it's considered a deep draft for the DE position, with at least 9 DE's slated to go in the first round according to draft guru Mike Mayock.

Pretty sure Ted Thompson knows what he's doing. :)

BigBayBlues

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...plus it's considered a deep draft for the DE position, with at least 9 DE's slated to go in the first round according to draft guru Mike Mayock.

See that's my problem. I've never been able to get into college football. I've tried for years, but no dice. So I never know squat when it comes to draft prospects. Gotta try again next year...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See that's my problem. I've never been able to get into college football. I've tried for years, but no dice. So I never know squat when it comes to draft prospects. Gotta try again next year...

Oh, me either. Some people love it. I just tolerate it. Can't bring myself to find a passion for it, which is why I cited Mike Mayock, one of the best draft guys out there.

Of course all this is preliminary, but we'll know more about the potential drafting class once the combine comes.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, me either. Some people love it. I just tolerate it. Can't bring myself to find a passion for it, which is why I cited Mike Mayock, one of the best draft guys out there.

Of course all this is preliminary, but we'll know more about the potential drafting class once the combine comes.

Only College football I get into is the Badgers, sadly I live in Michigan and all I hear about is the damn Spartans and Wolverines...occasionally Notre Dame where I live now, 7-4 years ago all I heard was about ND because I lived closer to South Bend.

/sigh :(

Though what happens in the draft largely depends on the CBA and if they put in a NBA style Rookie salary scale (God I hope so) and when FA starts

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree with this.

The biggest difference was coverage. Take a look at the first and second half of the SB. Before and after Shields and Woodson went down.

We were DOMINATING the Steelers completely. Then we're forced to play a lot of zone in the second with secondary scrubs, and we almost lose the game.

Of course the pass rush improved tremenduously, specially the inside pressure that I so clamored last year. Raji and Jenkins made things a lot easier when the secondary wasn't as stout. And CM3 is CM3.

Also, being in the second year in the scheme, it's much easier for the players, they can play a lot faster.

There's also the ILB position. Hawk was a much better communicator than Barnett, Bishop was a clear improvement over both, and with Chillar on the IR, we didn't have as much coverage breakdowns as we used to.

Good post, and I don't disagree with the improved cornerback play. But if there's no pressure on the QB, someone's going to get open no matter who's covering. And we didn't pressure QBs last year--especially the good ones.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
We do get jolly back this year too, franchise Jenkins, and we are set on the D-line.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post, and I don't disagree with the improved cornerback play. But if there's no pressure on the QB, someone's going to get open no matter who's covering. And we didn't pressure QBs last year--especially the good ones.
Yeah, I remember the Favre having 9 seconds to throw thing. Raji improving his game was HUGE.

But most of the time we couldn't get home because the opposing QB was getting rid of the ball really quick, because there were HUGE holes in the secondary (Jarrett Bush, Josh Bell, Brandon Chillar and A.J. Hawk being the main culprits.)

Members online

Latest posts