Can the O-Line really get the job done ?

• Thread starter I_am_smoked_cheddar
  • Start date

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
As much as losing Bulaga hurts, it could have been worse. We have options at tackle--none as good as Bulaga, but we have them. We won a lot of games with Newhouse and Barclay. DH looks good and I look forward to seeing what he can do at LT.

An injury at center would have been far, far worse. Who's EDS' backup?

I don't know how it can get any worse. New house sucks, plain and simple and the other guys are unproven at LT. I don't remember where I read it, but I read newhouse was directly responsible for giving up 25 of the 51 sacks.....C'mon, that is damn near 50%, that is pure suckage IMO.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how it can get any worse. New house sucks, plain and simple and the other guys are unproven at LT. I don't remember where I read it, but I read newhouse was directly responsible for giving up 25 of the 51 sacks.....C'mon, that is damn near 50%, that is pure suckage IMO.

Not sure where you read that number but article on ESPN Insider from PFF has Newhouse responsible for 9 sacks and 8 hits last year. Quote from article, "He still managed to surrender nine sacks and eight QB hits, with a 35th-ranked pass blocking efficiency of 94.1, but that's also a function of playing in front of Aaron Rodgers, who is never afraid of holding onto the ball an extra tick in order to make a play down the field. Rodgers' 2.88-second average time in the pocket was fifth highest in the league and a result of a playing style that often leads to big plays, but certainly puts extra pressure on the offensive line."

And it could be a lot worse. Our offensive tackles (and Bulaga wasn't available at the end of last year either) aren't what cost us the title last season. Even if our offensive line plays as poorly as they did last season this team will still a win title if the defense can improve.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
like I said, don't remember where I saw that stat. Yes, I agree with only part of what you said in your last post. Our defense can still improve, but people tend to forget that we went from almost dead last in defense in 2011, up to being ranked 11th overall in 2012. That is a HUGE jump to make in one season. People think it was bad in 2012 because of giving up big yards in a few games, but overall was a much better season than 2011. Hell, we were one spot away from being a top 10 defense.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
like I said, don't remember where I saw that stat. Yes, I agree with only part of what you said in your last post. Our defense can still improve, but people tend to forget that we went from almost dead last in defense in 2011, up to being ranked 11th overall in 2012. That is a HUGE jump to make in one season. People think it was bad in 2012 because of giving up big yards in a few games, but overall was a much better season than 2011. Hell, we were one spot away from being a top 10 defense.

Didn't mean anything by posting the PFF sack quote, I was simply trying to throw some other data out there. As for the defense, I concur that it was MUCH improved from 2011. I think our pass defense was excellent last year; I think the improvements this year need to come from our defensive line living up to expectations. Packers have probably the best overall secondary in the NFL (if Williams is healthy) but our dline is one of the worst. Teams that fielded a dominant oline and solid running game were able to do whatever they pleased. Luckily there aren't many teams with that combination that we played during the season, unfortunately we played one of the teams with that MO twice and lost both times.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I was wondering how the Packer's current OL compares to other teams- in particular with the league's best- with regard to how they were drafted. So, using data from espn.com's current depth chart, I compiled the info shown at the bottom of this post.

What can one learn from this? IDK, but it seems that good OL's certainly reflect a concerted effort by the organization to draft OLinemen in the top three rounds or so. However, UDFAs are not necessarily absent either.

The Packers: With both of our 1st rounders injured and not on the depth chart, we are left with 4th and 5th rounders and one UDFA. Not a single listed backup was drafted. Two positions do not even list a healthy backup.

NE Patriots: A pair of 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder, and two UDFAs. Go figure. Still, the pedigree in front of Brady is quite high...

Denver Broncos: Wow! A 12th pick overall, two 2nd rounders, two 3rd rounds. Good seniority, but not too much. The backups range from round 4-6 and (on paper) have similar pedigree to GB's starters... Manning should have all day back there.

SF 49ers: Another wow! Three 1st rounders including one taken 11th overall, a 5th rounder, and a UDFA. The center is aging. Reserves look good (3-5th rounders, couple UDFAs).

Seahawks: Solid. Two first rounders, 2nd, 3rd, 5th. Nice spread of seniority. Backups a bit weak (on paper).

NY Giants: Several 2nd rounders highlight this bunch. Getting old.

I also listed the other NFC North teams and the Falcons, just to see where they are relative to the Packers. Enjoy!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our chart is skewed by the fact that our two first rounder's are lame. The devil is most certainly in the details in this instance.

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

First Pre-Season game ! We will see tonight what the O-Line has.

Good Luck Guys !!!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Really didn't see anything that changes my mind. When the starting OL can't open a sliver of a hole to pick up a 2-yard td ... I'm afraid that we're in for more of the same... yeah yeah...it's early, it's preseason ... it's preseason for the Cards too.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really didn't see anything that changes my mind. When the starting OL can't open a sliver of a hole to pick up a 2-yard td ... I'm afraid that we're in for more of the same... yeah yeah...it's early, it's preseason ... it's preseason for the Cards too.

My take from last night?

Bakhtiari is the one bright spot, but how bright considering that he's replacing our best OT who's out for the season?

Datone Jones ankle sprain. That makes 3 1st rounders in a row who got injured. Hopefully it's "just" an ankle sprain, but hey, sprains can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to heal. I'm just getting so sick of hearing about out 1st rounders being out for the majority of their rookie years and contributing next to nothing. I really am seriously fighting the urge not to think that there is something wrong, either with the conditioning, training camp routine, choice of draft picks, the CBA that limits players' preparations, the medical staff, the coaches . . . something.

I hope that Harrell basically has one more preseason game to prove he can be the backup and no more, and I know I'm being generous.

Alex Green is almost certainly odd man out.

Thumbs up Johnny Jolly and McDaniels. ALthough he blew a coverage, I also thought that Terrell Manning made several good plays and I have hopes.

Silverstein in his blog said something I agree with: this looks like a team with a lot of rookies and 2nd year players who have a lot of blown assignments and huge lack of experience. That's TT's way, draft and develop. It's just a preseason game, so I'll hold judgment until the last preseason game is played before I wonder whether lack of preparation/inexperience will hurt this team during the season.

Lastly, the Packers have the reputation around the league of being soft. I don't see anything from last night that would change that perception.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Two positions do not even list a healthy backup.

That's not quite right. If Bakhtiari goes down, Newhouse moves to LT and Barclay comes in at RT...the configuration with which we ended last season. If Lang goes down (or Sitton for that matter) Barclay or Van Roten are available.

It would appear that with Bulaga down, Van Roten gets in...I could be wrong but I think he took all the center snaps after EDS without incident. I don't think I saw Barclay in there which would indicate the end of that experiment.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
That's not quite right. If Bakhtiari goes down, Newhouse moves to LT and Barclay comes in at RT...the configuration with which we ended last season. If Lang goes down (or Sitton for that matter) Barclay or Van Roten are available.

It would appear that with Bulaga down, Van Roten gets in...I could be wrong but I think he took all the center snaps after EDS without incident. I don't think I saw Barclay in there which would indicate the end of that experiment.

I wasn't trying to say the the team would leave those positions empty on the field during a game should a starter go down...

I was just relaying what was listed on the depth chart at Espn.com.

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

The picture is coming into focus now.

LT - Bakhtiari
LG - Sitton
C- EDS
RG - Lang
RT - Barclay

With some practice time as a unit, they should become a solid force !!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offensive line may not be vastly improved over last year but that shouldn't be anything that will keep the packers from a title. Packers have been a top five scoring offense the past two years and the line was poor. Offensive line gets lots of press because the media looks at Rodgers' sack totals and had an easy, quick, digestible analysis for the three minute clip on Sportscenter. Same thing with our running backs. Not as easy to find sensational stats for the defense, the real culprit for the packers the last two years.

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Can the new line run block ? I believe the running game will be a more relevant part of this years offence. Will they be able to open the holes needed against the beef they will face from D-lines ?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always question the coaching argument. If oline players that left the Packers suddenly turned it around and did well with other teams, I'd begin to point at coaching as a likley culprit but I can't think of any olinemen who have gone to other teams and turned their performance around.
Breno Giaconimi has been the starter in Seattle at RT.
Also, there's another former Packer I just saw in contention to start somewhere.... can't remember who, can't be Tony Moll can it be?

I do think our OL coaching is one of the team's worst areas.
I'd like to hire away whoever coaches the 49ers OL and double their pay to lure them away.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Breno Giaconimi has been the starter in Seattle at RT.
Also, there's another former Packer I just saw in contention to start somewhere.... can't remember who, can't be Tony Moll can it be?

I do think our OL coaching is one of the team's worst areas.
I'd like to hire away whoever coaches the 49ers OL and double their pay to lure them away.

Marshall Newhouse was a starter at LT last year for the Packers, that doesn't mean he's very good at it. Same thing with Giaconimi. 49ers oline is so good because I think they have 3 or 4 first round picks on that line.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts