PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Group 1 Running Backs 40 times:

Joseph Addai/LSU: 4.37 || 4.37

Maurice Drew/UCLA: 4.47 || 4.43

Jerome Harrison/Washington State: 4.52 || 4.48

Brian Calhoun/Wisconsin (Very Disappointing): 4.63 || 4.60

Could be because he concentrated too much on putting on weight and gaining strength.

Bench 225x19

Good strength especially for his size but those 40 times are going to hurt him.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But what are his split times at 10 and 20 yards those are the most important for a running back. Wideouts and cb are the ones were 40 times matter. Also what was his wunderlick score high jump and others.

OP
OP
P

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Split times are more important for linemen who don't run as far. RB's 40's are pretty important, they are skill players. I heard he did good in the cones but didn't find/hear any times.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
40 time = most overrated thing.

id like to put 40 times and QB ratings and make them disappear off the planet.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear ya cheesy so much emphasis on 40 times for a rb how if you really think about it the 10 to 20 yard range is the most imprttant even at a skill posistion. 40 times only tell straight line speed. I am more interested in a respectable 40 time which 4.6 is and great lateral movement which calhoun does. He will also have his pro day at the UWM coming up

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup JB!!!
The only thing a good 40 time is for, is if the RB gets into the open field and is trying to out run a DB! Hopefully, by then, he's 20 yards downfield!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats true, it's your REAL speed.
Me, i want a guy thats fast, AND can elude tackles.
I don't think 2/10ths of a second will make that much difference if a guy can cut fast. Barry Sanders had it all of course, but his ability to stop, and change direction was incredible! I saw Calhoun make some impressive moves similar to that. (Not as good as Sanders of course, but then, who is???)

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dan Marino's 40 time was probably around the speed of mud, he put together an ok career.

I bet Mr. Rice's 40 time wasn't indicative of the best football player that ever lived.

point being, too much importance is being placed on this crap.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
Dan Marino's 40 time was probably around the speed of mud, he put together an ok career.

I bet Mr. Rice's 40 time wasn't indicative of the best football player that ever lived.

point being, too much importance is being placed on this crap.

Rice had a great 40 I would suspect.

"One day at B.L. Moor High School in Crawford, Rice was trying to dodge a class when he ran into an assistant principal and sprinted away down the hall. The principal may not have liked Rice's class cut, but he noticed his speed and recommended him to the school's football coach. The youngster developed into a capable receiver for Moor and a standout one for "Gunslinger" Cooley at Mississippi Valley in Itta Bena."

http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/Rice_Jerry.html

... dunno but yea the forty is over rated they should have a 10-20 instead lol

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Though he didn't possess incredible speed, he was agile, ran precise routes and his huge hands seemed to pull in everything."

later on in the article it says he ran 4.5 in the 40. pretty average.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
"Though he didn't possess incredible speed, he was agile, ran precise routes and his huge hands seemed to pull in everything."

later on in the article it says he ran 4.5 in the 40. pretty average.

in his pro days, not in his pre draft work out

the man was fast and i remember he was still running a 4.4 40 in his first year in raiders uniform ... some espn show did a documentary on the guy

He ran a 4.6 40 jus before he was drafted, his times got better as years went past

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
in his pro days, not in his pre draft work out

the man was fast and i remember he was still running a 4.4 40 in his first year in raiders uniform ... some espn show did a documentary on the guy

He ran a 4.6 40 jus before he was drafted, his times got better as years went past

thats some nice info to know.

definitely not indicative of his hall of fame career.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
The niners knew what they were doing though. They traded I think three picks to get the Patriots 16th overall pick to get him. They had to jump ahead of the Cowboys who were Rice's favorite team. Cowboys picked at 17

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I see Calhoun is pretty average, probably would be available after 4th round and we have bigger needs. Also 40 times may indicate usefulness on special teams, you need speed to be able to return ball.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember, FA comes before the draft and there are a lot of running backs that are going to be signed lowering those teams need to draft a running back.
There will also be at least three or four other running backs taken before Calhoun.
I could see him going early in the third. There is a lot of talent in this draft and a RB that size wise puts him in the third down back catagory may not warrant a teams second pick.

Members online

Latest posts