Calhoun 40's - ouch

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two words......Emmitt Smith. What were his 40 times? As I recall, not too impressive, and yet Walter is now second to him.

I would rather have a RB with vision and burst than some 40 juggernaut. If the guy has the first two, and also has the speed, well fine...but 40s are SO overrated.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Two words......Emmitt Smith. What were his 40 times? As I recall, not too impressive, and yet Walter is now second to him.

I would rather have a RB with vision and burst than some 40 juggernaut. If the guy has the first two, and also has the speed, well fine...but 40s are SO overrated.

E.Smith 4.7 Forty time trial...

"Should NFL scouts even care about the 40 to the tenths' place? Read this excellent article by Kathleen Nelson of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. She notes that before the 1990 draft, Jersey/B was thinking of taking somebody named Emmitt Smith. Then the Jets saw Smith's 40 time was 4.7, while Blair Thomas ran a 4.45; Jersey/B took Thomas, a bust, and left the NFL's all-time leading rusher for the Cowboys to select. Nelson notes that last year, receiver Anquan Boldin was dissed by scouts and fell to the second round of the draft owing to his 4.7; all Boldin did was catch 101 passes and make the Pro Bowl as a rookie."

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/7286047

Side note. We've had Juggernaut Forty demons and they didn't pan out. Chris Darkins comes to mind for RB. DeMond Parker I think he had a good forty. LeShon Johnson I know he was a freakin blazer, but couldn't find a hole if he fell in an abyss.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you get his autograph gopack??? I would have tried for it!

See........i didn't know Emmitt Smith had THAT bad a 40 time. Guess he turned out OK!

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No I didnt but tommorow if he is there I am going to bring a picture of him and have my freind take a picture of me and him. Although I dont know I dont want to bug him Since no one else is

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, I'm going to state the obvious here: the problem is that RB's are becoming a dime a dozen in scout's eyes. RB's cash in when they impress in the 40, impress in the shuttle run, and impress in the weight room. IF one of those disappoints the scouts, the stock drops and it costs the player $$$'s...

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No matter how much people disagree, the 40 time from Calhoun will drop his draft stock. He's been trying to compare himself to Bush and a poor 40 does not help.

But I don't know why people here are upset. Dropping his draft stock makes it more likely that he will fall into GB's lap at a bargain. It's likely that TT will spend a pick on a RB, and Calhoun would be a great addition!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is that Calhoun probably should look at dropping 5-8 lbs. and everybody could watch his 40 time shrink to an acceptable level once again. He runs again on March 2 (I think) at a personal workout. I would almost bet you'll see a better time from him then.

OP
OP
P

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Word is now, from Cold Pizza, that he tweaked an Achilles tendon. He also gained some weight which probably didn't help. It will be interesting to see how he does on March 8th at the UW Pro Day.