Calais Campbell

ARod12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a freeagent and would be perfect for our defense. I'm sure he'll come with at a hefty cost but what do you all think the chances are TT goes after him. He's still young and could be a cornerstone for our defense for many years to come.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
You pretty much summed it up when you said "I'm sure he'll come with a hefty cost." That's not Ted's MO.

I don't think Campbell is that great of a player to demand that kind of money. I don't think he'd be that expensive

I know he's a bit on the older side but Mark Anderson is a Free Agent too. I'd imagine the Patriots might attempt to reacquire him, but he had a stellar resurgence this year, granted he may not be able to replicate that in our scheme but it would be worth a look. I don't think he'd be very expensive either

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7 million under the cap...we don't have a lot to play with, not with a bunch of our own guys coming up in FA

I expect us to cut some of that out. We're currently about $7 Million under the cap now. It's doubtful Clifton will return, which will clear about $5.5 Million of cap room. Driver's cap hit also figures to be about $5 Million between bonus and salary, and I expect about $2 Million of that to be cut out. If Nick Collins can't play again, that will save us around $4 Million and the Packers can restructure Woodson's $4 Million bonus due in April to save us another $2.5 Million. We have the potential to be anywhere from $16-$20 Million under the cap. However, we need to get new deals done for Finley, Wells and possibly Jarrett Bush, so any cap room we have will be spent.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to this:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-right-to-carry-over-cap-space-automatically/

Teams can carry over any additional cap room they had from the previous year, which means (If I'm reading this right) the Packers might have an additional 6.2 Million in cap space (what they had from 2011). Which would be awesome.

@Sparta yeah, I figured any renegotiated space of the cap would be eaten up by new contracts for the younger guys.

BSchujasNYG

Giants Fan
Reaction score
I don't think Campbell is that great of a player to demand that kind of money. I don't think he'd be that expensive

I know he's a bit on the older side but Mark Anderson is a Free Agent too. I'd imagine the Patriots might attempt to reacquire him, but he had a stellar resurgence this year, granted he may not be able to replicate that in our scheme but it would be worth a look. I don't think he'd be very expensive either
He is probably the second best 5T in the league.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
How about Andre Carter? He's 32 and coming off an injury. He could come for real, real cheap.

I like Mark Anderson and Andre Carter, but besides the injury which doesn't concern me too much. I do wonder sometimes if we'll be able to get as much out of these guys as Belichick can. Belichick can take guys that were conceived to be busts/over the hill/journeymen and they become impact players in new england.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to this:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-right-to-carry-over-cap-space-automatically/

Teams can carry over any additional cap room they had from the previous year, which means (If I'm reading this right) the Packers might have an additional 6.2 Million in cap space (what they had from 2011). Which would be awesome.

@Sparta yeah, I figured any renegotiated space of the cap would be eaten up by new contracts for the younger guys.

I saw that article too, but am unclear if it means any extra cap room rolled over from year to year would serve as bonus room, or if the salary floor would increase with the roll over?

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, which begs another question- Can that amount be rolled over permanently, or only as a one time basis? Meaning, if we rolled over the $5 Million to next year, but we don't use it, can we roll it over again the following year and so on?

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, which begs another question- Can that amount be rolled over permanently, or only as a one time basis? Meaning, if we rolled over the $5 Million to next year, but we don't use it, can we roll it over again the following year and so on?

not sure, but I would think it's perm. Whatever isn't used in one year, can be rolled over to the next. so since we're 5.48 under this year, we work out contracts so we're around 3 mill under next year that would get rolled over to the next year.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right.. What I'm wondering though is this (All numbers are relatively hypothetical):

We're $5 Million under right now. We roll that over to next year, where the league cap is $120 Million. This gives us a cap of $125 Million to spend next year instead of $120 Million.

If our payrolls come out to $119 Million, can we roll $6 Million ($5 Million we rolled over from last year plus $1 Million for this year) over to the next year, or can it only be the $1 Million remaining from THIS year with the $5 Million from last year serving as a "Use it or lose it" for that year?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a freeagent and would be perfect for our defense. I'm sure he'll come with at a hefty cost but what do you all think the chances are TT goes after him. He's still young and could be a cornerstone for our defense for many years to come.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right.. What I'm wondering though is this (All numbers are relatively hypothetical):

We're $5 Million under right now. We roll that over to next year, where the league cap is $120 Million. This gives us a cap of $125 Million to spend next year instead of $120 Million.

If our payrolls come out to $119 Million, can we roll $6 Million ($5 Million we rolled over from last year plus $1 Million for this year) over to the next year, or can it only be the $1 Million remaining from THIS year with the $5 Million from last year serving as a "Use it or lose it" for that year?

not sure, could be it's only w/e is under the unadjusted cap, again, they didn't explain it very well

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts