Bubba Franks will not attend mini camp this week

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Green Bay Press-Gazette sports writer PeteDougherty in today's paper) Sat. April 27th) "Tight end Bubba Franks will not attend Mini Camp this week. because he is not obligated to because he is not under contract The packers have desgnated him a transition player but he has not signed the contract tender, and is looking for a long term deal either from ther Packers or another team. Other NFL teams haveuntil July 22 t o sign Franks to an offer sheet, and the Packers have the right to match the deal. They receive no compenstation if they don't. He's had no contract offers from another club thus far, so it's unlikely that an offer wiill be forthcoming for the rest of the season.. (Gene) Mato (Franks' agent) suggested that Franks might sit out rather than play for the one year transition tender of $2.095 million. "It's doubtful (he'd play for the tender) but you never Know." Mato Said." unquote------I don't don't think Franks will sit out the season. He will take the $2 mil offer, but you really never know.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
-Javon Walker plans to sit out minicamp
-Bubba Franks will not attend mini camp this week

All for the love of the game... :bs:

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I don't really like Bubba much as a TE. I think he's a B player who isn't worth the money (2-3M) GB is forced to pay him under the franchise rules and considering the needs they have on defense. I think this offense would get along just fine without him and the money could be spent in another need area. They don't throw the ball to Bubba much anyway; why not find a better blocking TE if that's what you're going to use your TEs for and save the money for someone else? Is it possible that GB could rescend the franchise tag, not sign Bubba, and just release him? If so, maybe they're holding that money back hoping they'll find something else in FA? If they don't find what they're looking for, then maybe they'll sign Bubba very late assuming they still have the money to do it?

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
slackerbacker said:
They don't throw the ball to Bubba much anyway; why not find a better blocking TE if that's what you're going to use your TEs for and save the money for someone else?
I hate to tell you this but Bubba is now considered one of the better blocking TEs in the NFL. He wasn't when he came into the NFL but he has vastly improved in that area of his game.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Bubba has improved that part of his game and he's pretty good at it, but he's no true blocking TE. He's seen as a receiving TE. Nevertheless, the point is do you spend 2-3M dollars a year on a TE you don't throw to much while your Def sucks to put it mildly and you need money for other players and positions? GB can't continue to spend every dime on offense and then wonder why their Def is so lacking. Just like you or I, we have to make cuts in our budget's at times to ensure our priorities are taken care of. GB hasn't done that and that's why they have nothing to spend on their Def. They want it to be good and expect the coach to make it good, but they don't want to invest in it. I want my car to be in good mechanical condition, but I am not going to spend money on a tune-up or oil change...life just doesn't work that way.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
Do you get the feeling this draft was more of a cover our *** then fill our needs?

nothing wrong with that, philadelphia drafts like that and i admire it. Remember the year they drafted Sheldon Brown, Micheal Lewis and Lito Sheppard with their first three picks even though it wasnt a need...they were prepared when Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor and Blaine Bishop all became free agents in the same winter.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
SlickVision said:
Do you get the feeling this draft was more of a cover our *** then fill our needs?

nothing wrong with that, philadelphia drafts like that and i admire it. Remember the year they drafted Sheldon Brown, Micheal Lewis and Lito Sheppard with their first three picks even though it wasnt a need...they were prepared when Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor and Blaine Bishop all became free agents in the same winter.

I'm not disagreeing with it, I like it. Shows we have management thinking of the future not just the quick fix, becaus as you all know, if it comes easy and quick, its not worth keeping.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:

as all of this trickles out, some of the picks are starting to make a little more sense.

ldlehrer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The most I would pay Bubba Franks per year is $2 million a year. I know he made All Pro at least twice. I still think his ability is not beyond the $2 million a year figure. Frankly, I would not sign Bubba to a contract that averages out more than $2 million a year and apparently no one else in the NFL will either.
Wake Up Bubba and take what you can get. $2 million a year is more than fair for your services and ability.
Now Javon Walker did sign his contract as a rookie. He is worth a better contract than he signed. I do not think he should pressure tight Ted. I think if his agent and him talk to Teddy T in a civilized manner, that his contract can be upgraded. I think Javon needs to give something back to the Packers in return too. Keeping Javon Walker in green and gold for more than 2 years is a start.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can understand players like Bubba Franks holding out. I don't like it, but I can accept and understand it because he fulfilled his original contact, and currently isn't under contract. Hopefully he and the Packers can come to an agreement they both like.

But I'm sick of all these other guys who are under contract who don't want to honor it. When overpaid guys like Joe Johnson and Jamal Reynolds start giving back money they don't earn, then I'll reconsider giving more money to the underpaid guys. It should be fair both ways if they want to redo contracts.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts