Browns Shopping Around Haden

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beat me!! I just saw this on Twitter! This is a miventhe Packers need to make. If they traded for Hayden and got Brooks this defense would be greatly improved. Especially on the backend.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They seem to always be selling and nobody is buying. He's going to be available for free in a couple weeks. I wouldn't give a 7th rounder to take on his production and that contract. For all the talk of getting rid of Matthews and trading Cobb because they aren't worth it, why do people want to pay something to take on this guy and his contract?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just two years ago he had a concussion that ended his seasons at week 5 (other than a brief shot at playing in week 8).

One more could end his career.

For that reason alone, I doubt this happens.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's also had a well documented decline last season.

PPF had him rated poor overall and 87th among corners. If he was already a Packer, the forum would be full of people wanting him cut.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take it back, I don't want him and this won't happen.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's probably going to be cut. If he is his best bet is to come to Green Bay ..but TT will get outdone because he's to cheap, and can't sell Green Bay as an attractive market.. so Hayden will end up in Seattle or Tampa Bay smh

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He's probably going to be cut. If he is his best bet is to come to Green Bay ..but TT will get outdone because he's to cheap, and can't sell Green Bay as an attractive market.. so Hayden will end up in Seattle or Tampa Bay smh

Nahhhh.....he is headed to New England, after he gets cut (next year). Hayden just turned 28 in April, so I don't consider him old and washed up like some do. Is he worth his current contract? Nope. But he "only" costs the Browns an additional $3.6M more after the cap hit, I doubt they outright cut him just to save that, but they are Cleveland after all. Now if he is traded and the new team is only stuck paying him that extra cap hit of $3.6M (I forget how that all works out), then he might be worth a mid to late round pick.

All that said. I don't think CB is even on TT's mind as being an issue right now. I think he thinks that problem has been solved by House, King and the good health of his young guys. I am cautiously optimistic that might be the case and I would rather see TT focus on a more pressing need at this point, OLB.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So do you think Hayden will be able to recover from his below average season this year?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They seem to always be selling and nobody is buying. He's going to be available for free in a couple weeks. I wouldn't give a 7th rounder to take on his production and that contract. For all the talk of getting rid of Matthews and trading Cobb because they aren't worth it, why do people want to pay something to take on this guy and his contract?

Because the grass is greener on the other side.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nahhhh.....he is headed to New England, after he gets cut (next year). Hayden just turned 28 in April, so I don't consider him old and washed up like some do. Is he worth his current contract? Nope. But he "only" costs the Browns an additional $3.6M more after the cap hit, I doubt they outright cut him just to save that, but they are Cleveland after all. Now if he is traded and the new team is only stuck paying him that extra cap hit of $3.6M (I forget how that all works out), then he might be worth a mid to late round pick.

All that said. I don't think CB is even on TT's mind as being an issue right now. I think he thinks that problem has been solved by House, King and the good health of his young guys. I am cautiously optimistic that might be the case and I would rather see TT focus on a more pressing need at this point, OLB.

He may not be old, but he is one hit away from a career ending concussion.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's got just as good as a chance than Rollins, And Randall does from recovering from theirs:tup:
More to the point, he played just as well as Randall and Rollins recently and for a paltry 10 million more per season he can be yours LOL

had he missed 2-3 weeks with a concussion and come back fine, 60% of a season because of concussion? hmmmm

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hopefully this isn't because they don't have faith in king.
It isn't, it's because people want something to talk about. I can not foresee any circumstances where a team is going to trade a pick, any pick for a guy that has produced like Haden over the past couple seasons and has a contract remaining that will pay him 10+ million per year. We may as well give Sam Shields another shot

D

Deleted member 6794

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20495844/cleveland-browns-open-trade-offers-veteran-cb-joe-haden

Should the Packers be interested? I believe the CBs could cost us another year of Rodgers' prime and I would be willing to take a chance on the aging corner as long as it does not cost an arm and a leg (2nd round pick perhaps).

If Haden does not work out, cut him next season and take the 3+ million cap hit.

The Packers shouldn't be interested in trading for Haden as he has struggled for most of the past two seasons. I don't know enough about his concussion history to make an educated guess about him being able to stay healthy going forward but if the other posters are correct about it that's another strong reason not to entertain acquiring him.

Now if he is traded and the new team is only stuck paying him that extra cap hit of $3.6M (I forget how that all works out), then he might be worth a mid to late round pick.

A team trading for Haden before week 1 would have to pay him and take a cap hit of $11.1 million for the 2017 season which would become fully guaranteed if he's on the roster for the first game of the season.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sorry! got confused with this guy and ahmad visiting green bay. so I had it in my head wondering why this guy would make a visit to green bay.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He may not be old, but he is one hit away from a career ending concussion.

That part, given what we saw happen to Shields, would alone make me say "no". Reminds me of what fans in Cleveland might be thinking right now if there was talk about signing this "great" former Packer CB named Shields. I haven't seen any talk of Sam signing with anyone, I assume his career is about over?

A team trading for Haden before week 1 would have to pay him and take a cap hit of $11.1 million for the 2017 season which would become fully guaranteed if he's on the roster for the first game of the season.

Thanks Captain, I wasn't sure how that number would transfer to another team, since it was a part of his signing bonus. But given the concussion history, drop in play.......Cleveland isn't finding anyone to take that on.....unless in exchange, Cleveland is willing to take Brock Osweiler....oh wait...... :eek:

D

Deleted member 6794

Reminds me of what fans in Cleveland might be thinking right now if there was talk about signing this "great" former Packer CB named Shields. I haven't seen any talk of Sam signing with anyone, I assume his career is about over?

Unfortunately I believe it's safe to assume that Shields' career is over.

Members online

Latest posts