Browns Shopping Around Haden

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Say what you want, no Team spends a 2nd Round Pick on a QB just for that player to be their long term backup.

If anything, Kizer starting all 16 games will determine if next year's likely Top 5 Pick will be used on another QB, or a WR/RB to give Kizer another weapon to work with or boost an already overachieving defense.

The Patriots spent a 2nd rounder on back up Garoppolo.

Reaction score
The Patriots spent a 2nd rounder on back up Garoppolo.
With that abundance of examples I yield to the concept that 2nd round picks should be taken exclusively on backup quarterbacks. (harmless sarcasm, not the mean kind. Like, the kind where you lean over to the side like you're drunk and throw your hands in the air and make exaggerated eye contact, as opposed to the very slight voice inflection when your back is turned followed by a weirdly long silence kind)

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Is every pick going to be a starter? Do you go into a draft and say to yourself...."hmmmmm.....lets look for guys who are going to just be lifetime backups". You take guys hoping to get the most out of them and if that player turns into a starter or trade bait or a quality #2....mission accomplished. But someone like Brahm, Hundley, Garapola and even Rodgers himself, the mission was to let them learn for a number of years and see what happens....either you got a starter or a backup....or in the case of Brahm, a waisted second round pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

The downside is that you acquire their contract as well. If we sign him now, we will pay less.

You're absolutely correct that teams trading for a player have to consider the contract they inherit by doing so.

As previously discussed though, acquiring the rights to below average player with a concussion history for $11 million, would not be a good idea.

As I've mentioned repeatedly there was no reason for the Packers to trade for Haden.

By all reports, the like Keizer. They've pretty much guaranteed him the starting job regardless of how he does this year, and even if they wanted to tank you dont put his kind of draft capital on the line if that's your only goal.

I highly doubt Kizer will turn out to be the Browns franchise quarterback moving forward.

Other than get 2 guys back from injury, sign a FA, use his top draft pick, and give young players like Hawkins an opportunities to improve.

It's possible that relying on Randall and Rollins to bounce back turns out to be a mistake as both struggled while being healthy last season as well though.

I'm actually marginally satisfied with what TT and the Packers did in the offseason to address the secondary. You have to think one of the 4-5 development guys + House + King + Jones + Ha Ha +Burnett is going to work.

In my opinion the cornerback position is still a question mark entering this season.

Time will tell if the moves work. I would just challenge your assertion that TT did nothing. What I see is that we will have 3 different starters than we ended the season with last year. And all 3, IMHO, are better than the 3 we ended the season with.

It's possible that House is the only starter at cornerback who didn't play in the NFCCG at Atlanta. Unfortunately I don't consider him a significant upgrade and believe the Packers still lack a #1 CB.

I think this place would have blown a gasket if the Packers had paid that kind of money for Haden. The concussion history, as well as his complete dropoff in production due to injuries since 2014 would have me question that kind of deal, especially a 3 year.

I'm absolutely fine with the Packers not having offered Haden a similar contract to the one he signed with the Steelers. His concussion history is being blown out of proportion though as it seems he has only suffered a single one during his career.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In my opinion the cornerback position is still a question mark entering this season.

Agreed. However, how do you improve it at this point and does it/will it need improving? Pay a questionable guy like Joe Haden? Sign a castoff? It feels like we are at the point where there are enough able bodies on the roster that should/can play at an average to possibly slightly above average level (if healthy). Hell, we might even get lucky and one of these guys plays at a Pro Bowl level.

I don't expect any changes (other than cuts) to the CB position at this point, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. However, how do you improve it at this point and does it/will it need improving? Pay a questionable guy like Joe Haden? Sign a castoff? It feels like we are at the point where there are enough able bodies on the roster that should/can play at an average to possibly slightly above average level (if healthy). Hell, we might even get lucky and one of these guys plays at a Pro Bowl level.

I don't expect any changes (other than cuts) to the CB position at this point, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I fully anticipate the Packers to enter the season with the cornerbacks currently on the roster. It will take some time to figure out if the talent level is adequate to significantly improve over last season's performance. I'm in agreement with most posters that the price was too steep to even think about signing Haden.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts