Browns Shopping Around Haden

D

Deleted member 6794

And that is why good GMs don't jump at a trade the instant a guy is available like some fans want.

The difference being that a team trading for a player instantly acquires his rights while having to potentially compete with 30 other teams to sign him in free agency though.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a modest bit more than the vet minimum, I bring him on board. We have the cap room to gamble on this one and still sign Ahmad Brooks. If he returns to Pro Bowl form, he can earn a nice 4 year extension. Keep in mind the veteran presence he would bring to the CB group, because presently the best CB on the team is probably a rookie.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I figured they would cut him. I'd bring him on for a visit tho. He could help our secondary be a strength and not a weakness if they can sign him..but that's a big if. Like I said before...Seattle, Tampa Bay, or even Dallas

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm fine brining him in for a look, i'd welcome it. No way I wanted to trade for that though

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference being that a team trading for a player instantly acquires his rights while having to potentially compete with 30 other teams to sign him in free agency though.
The downside is that you acquire their contract as well. If we sign him now, we will pay less. I don't know much about his level of play from last year to give an opinion.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As previously discussed though, acquiring the rights to below average player with a concussion history for $11 million, would not be a good idea.

Better to risk out losing him to another team if the Packers are interested.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
TT wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.
I tend to agree that Thompson likely won't make a play for him, given that the secondary seems to be in pretty good health currently. Had it not have been for the injuries to our OLB's, he would have never brought Brooks in, even though it's glaringly obvious that there is questionable depth there.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
More from Rapoport:
"Joe Haden is getting $4M guaranteed from #Browns - with offsets. If he settles in at less than $4M, new team pays him minimum, CLE pays rest.

What does that mean? Suddenly, Joe Haden could play for any championship-level team for a bargain while still making his $4M from #Browns."

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I think you have to ask yourself why Cleveland cut Joe Haden when they already had $54 million in cap space while this move adds only $3.6 million to the pot.

There are couple of possible reasons:

1) Haden is still all that, but the Browns really, really want to tank the season. It's supposed to be a strong 2018 QB class. They may have their eye on one particular name and want that #1 pick.

2) There's something wrong with Joe Haden.

Anyway, these OLB injuries and the Brooks business suggest the Packers have their eye on another position priority.

Reaction score
I think you have to ask yourself why Cleveland cut Joe Haden when they already had $54 million in cap space while this move adds only $3.6 million to the pot.

There are couple of possible reasons:

1) Haden is still all that, but the Browns really, really want to tank the season. It's supposed to be a strong 2018 QB class. They may have their eye on one particular name and want that #1 pick.

2) There's something wrong with Joe Haden.

Anyway, these OLB injuries and the Brooks business suggest the Packers have their eye on another position priority.
By all reports, the like Keizer. They've pretty much guaranteed him the starting job regardless of how he does this year, and even if they wanted to tank you dont put his kind of draft capital on the line if that's your only goal.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Browns are definitely cleaning their house of guys they see no immediate future with, in an attempt at a total reboot in 2018. They have already accumulated 12 draft picks for 2018. 2 of those in the first round and 3 in the second round.

While Haden was probably a "bargain" for them to keep around for that additional $3.6M, I am guessing the Browns want to give all their young guys as much playing time this year as possible and not have guys like Haden, who have no future with the team, taking up those valuable reps.

Good luck to the Browns and can't wait to see you in December!

H

HardRightEdge

By all reports, the like Keizer. They've pretty much guaranteed him the starting job regardless of how he does this year, and even if they wanted to tank you dont put his kind of draft capital on the line if that's your only goal.
Actually, the Browns announced a couple of days ago that Kizer will be the starter Week 1 this season.

That does not mean they see him as "the franchise". I wouldn't.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That does not mean they see him as "the franchise". I wouldn't.

Say what you want, no Team spends a 2nd Round Pick on a QB just for that player to be their long term backup.

If anything, Kizer starting all 16 games will determine if next year's likely Top 5 Pick will be used on another QB, or a WR/RB to give Kizer another weapon to work with or boost an already overachieving defense.

OP
OP
V

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is absolutely no reason to not sign him now. We have space and a desperate need at the position.

TT did next to nothing this offseason to fix the massive hole that cost us the 2016-17 season.

The D was absolutely painful to watch; if there is a 10% chance this guy can turn in an okay season by his standards than it is worth outbidding the Pats or whoever else will be going for him.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Hayden was a bonafide improvement over the guys we got, I'd say try to make it happen. I wouldn't overpay or make the move unless I was convinced that he was still a quality player. He could be another Charles Woodson, but the reason everyone talks about the Woodson story is because it is rare. Usuaully when you don't see the flame anymore, it's because it is extinguished.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT did next to nothing this offseason to fix the massive hole that cost us the 2016-17 season.
Other than get 2 guys back from injury, sign a FA, use his top draft pick, and give young players like Hawkins an opportunities to improve. But did he sign an expensive veteran past his prime whose forte may not mesh well with our defensive scheme? Nope. Come on TT!!!!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Hayden was a bonafide improvement over the guys we got, I'd say try to make it happen. I wouldn't overpay or make the move unless I was convinced that he was still a quality player. He could be another Charles Woodson, but the reason everyone talks about the Woodson story is because it is rare. Usuaully when you don't see the flame anymore, it's because it is extinguished.

I agree. Possibly the way to get Haden's flame relit is the chance to play on a Championship team, with a quality QB, head coach and GM.....man.....the Patriots are going to LOVE Haden.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Other than get 2 guys back from injury, sign a FA, use his top draft pick, and give young players like Hawkins an opportunities to improve. But did he sign an expensive veteran past his prime whose forte may not mesh well with our defensive scheme? Nope. Come on TT!!!!

I'm actually marginally satisfied with what TT and the Packers did in the offseason to address the secondary. You have to think one of the 4-5 development guys + House + King + Jones + Ha Ha +Burnett is going to work.

I'm more disappointed at the OLB position and the way it has been virtually ignored, besides the resigning of Perry of course.

OP
OP
V

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this rate of Fan Free agent signings, we may have a whole new roster in 11 days! :coffee:

You can check my history, I NEVER suggest signing FA's. I believe the situation to be desperate enough to get this guy.

Two guys that struggled when they were on the field last season.

A draft pick that will need time to become a pro and help out the team in a meaningful way.

Not only do we not have a true number 1 corner, we do not have much in the way of a true number 2. We have a bunch of borderline starters and I do not want to see what happened last season happen again this season. Rodgers is not getting any younger.

You can also look at my history, I am far from a TT basher.

Perhaps my "whatever it takes" line is not helpful, but I believe the situation to be desperate enough to take a significant chance.

Members online

Latest posts