Brian Brohm from Scouts.inc

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grade: 93

Strengths: A drop-back passer with adequate height and good overall bulk. Makes quick decisions. Is tough and will hang in the pocket to buy his receivers extra time. Displays solid overall mechanics. Keeps the ball high and has a high release point. Release quickness is adequate. Shows excellent touch and timing on throws. Knows how to change up velocities and can hit his receivers in stride in the short, intermediate and deep zones. Knows how to keep safeties honest and is also adept at reading coverage. Does a good job of selling fakes. He will surprise you at times with his ability to make some tough throws on the run. He grew up around the game of football and he's a hard worker on and off the field.

Weaknesses: Is a bit robotic. Locks on to his primary target at times. Some of his biggest flaws are seen when he faces consistent pass rush pressure (see: Rutgers and first-half vs. Miami in 2006). He tends to short-arm his throws when under pressure. Arm strength is adequate but not good. He lacks ideal mobility. He will make some impressive throws on the run but he's not consistent in that department. He lacks the foot quickness to buy many second chances and he won't run away from many NFL defenders. He will take more than his share of hits from within the pocket. Durability was a major issue earlier in his career and his potential to hold up in the NFL remains somewhat of a concern. He had surgery on his non-throwing shoulder in January of 2007. He missed nearly three full games with a thumb injury in 2006 and suffered a season-ending ACL tear in the 10th game of the 2005 season. Finally, while he's competitive and works hard, there are some questions regarding his leadership skills  he's not overly vocal as a leader.

Overall: Brohm's decision to return for his senior season will be second-guessed due to his team's failure to meet expectations in 2007. From where we stand, the experience has allowed Brohm to showcase aspects of his game never seen before. First off, he has shown mental toughness in dealing with the adversity. Secondly, he has eased concerns regarding durability by remaining healthy despite taking a beating throughout his senior season. On the plus side; he is a smart, hard working pocket passer with very good accuracy and the toughness to hang in the pocket. On the minus side; he lacks ideal mobility, arm strength and leadership skills. Also, Brohm comes with some durability baggage. With all that in mind, Brohm projects as a first-round selection but we still think he has too many weaknesses to stamp him with a top-15 grade.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I LOVE this pick...

debatably the most NFL ready QB other than maybe Henne, and with Rodgers seemingly injury prone, just what we need. Accurate, and someone who has shown top 15 pick talent.

I have faith in AR for the most part, but this makes me feel very relieved about the qb situation...great pick!

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little competition's never a bad thing. Aaron's got the edge right now, but he certainly can't afford to rest on his laurels.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad the Packers didn't take him with their first pick. I'm glad they waited until the end of round 2. I don't mine the pick. I'm not surprised by it because he has great value at the end of round 2. I'm actually surprised Jon Gruden and the Buccaneers passed on him.

He's a good fit and I've always had the opinion that if you have two young QB's, it creates for outstanding competition and it'll make one another better.

Factor this in.

If Brohm turns out to be the real deal and so does Rodgers, Green Bay will have two good QB's where as the Lions and Bears are sitting with none.

Minnesota has their young guy in Jackson. If he doesn't work out then GB has two up on all three at arguably the league's most important position.

GB then can trade which ever one they rate as #2 for a potential 1st or 2nd round draft pick.

I see a lot of upside but of course that's the best case scenario. He could very well be a dud too.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very solid pick for the Packers. A bit surprised that he was still on the board when they got him.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love that the Packers got this guy, I just hope they make sure A-Rod gets his chance to start and let Brohm sit and groom for at least a year. Brohm has excellent leadership skills and a great arm. If A-rod can't do it, Brohm might be the answer. My mock for the pack went out the window the moment they traded down so eh :/

NFL_GEEK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i was watching the whole draft although it was boring...and suprising they still have this guy available to pick. great add to the GB QB

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
If nothing else, let him sit a few years and trade him for a 1st rounder.

Funny. This is exactly what I was thinking.

I'm actually hoping he gets no playing time. I'm starting to really like Rodgers, and hope he has a long career ahead of him. If we can get a First for this guy in the near future, that would be :cool:

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
If nothing else, let him sit a few years and trade him for a 1st rounder.

Funny. This is exactly what I was thinking.

I'm actually hoping he gets no playing time. I'm starting to really like Rodgers, and hope he has a long career ahead of him. If we can get a First for this guy in the near future, that would be :cool:

My dad would say, "That would be ****". Dirty old man, lol. Yeah. I hope Brohm gets no PT. That would mean good things for Rodgers and the Packers.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just got home from work and watched the draft. Did anyone see the argument on ESPN before the Brohm pick? I found it amusing.

I was really impressive with the play Jaworski broke down (the PA post-cross). Not only was it a great play, but it fits right in with the insane YAC our receiving corps brings. Hopefully Brohm and Rodgers push each other to their potential.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just got home from work and watched the draft. Did anyone see the argument on ESPN before the Brohm pick? I found it amusing.

Where Steve Young was spazzing out over poor A-Rod and how this is horrible for him? I'm glad Aaron isnt a little ***** like young. A-Rod will answer the call, not cry about it.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what did steve young expect us to do. go into the season with one quarterback? just so we wouldnt hurt our QB's feelings.

A-rod isnt concerned right now.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love this pick. If we mold him into an adequate backup, we are set. If we mold him into a starter, we keep him or trade him.

Back to the Ron Wolf/Mike Holmgren era, as opposed to the Mike Sherman era.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has the mannerisms of Peyton Manning. Just saying.....

Umm. THIS is a stretch...

And the QB that was labeled mechanical and close to Manning was actually Aaron Rodgers.

Brohm is Craig Nall w/a slightly better arm.

Don't get all excited you guys...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BryanAschenbrenner said:

And the QB that was labeled mechanical and close to Manning was actually Aaron Rodgers.

LOL

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BryanAschenbrenner said:

I'm guessing you weren't too excited with the Brohm pick, eh Cal? :D

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BryanAschenbrenner said:

Brohm is better than Rodgers.

*waits for Cal to erupt*

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BryanAschenbrenner said:

Quit being ridiculous. You like Rodgers, we get it. Saying Brohm is like Nall with a better arm is a flat out lie. Brohm reads defense, is much more accurate, and is leaps and bounds in front of Nall.

Rodgers mannerisms are nothing like Peytons by the way.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brohm was one of the top QBs in this draft, would have been one of the top QBs last year, you can't compare him to Craig Nall.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what did steve young expect us to do. go into the season with one quarterback? just so we wouldnt hurt our QB's feelings.

A-rod isnt concerned right now.

Yeah, Steve Young seemed to take it personally. I guess it's because his career was kind of like Rodgers' career up to this point--playing behind a legend before finally getting his chance to start. It probably is disappointing for Rodgers to now have a high draft pick looking over his shoulder. Just like it was disappointing for Favre when Rodgers was drafted in the first round.

While the Rodgers pick nudged Favre in the direction of retirement (something he had been considering publicly for several years already), at least Favre knew the starting job was his unless his play declined drastically. But with Rodgers being a new QB, we could have the dreaded "quarterback controversy" on our hands if (or should I saw "when"?) he has even one bad game.

One thing's for sure: The preseason will be very, very interesting.

I do agree with your basic point, packnic. The need for a second QB obviously takes precedence over the starting QB's feelings. Even Steve Young admitted at the end of his little rant that maybe this is what the Packers needed to do.

Members online

Latest posts