Brett Favre or Bart Starr

°Jacob°

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just wondering who you think is the better quaterback...it's a really hard comparison so im not gonna put my choice out there just yet till i see some viewpoints from u guys.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett will get my vote based on all time stats, team wins, records and his unbelievable consecutive starting streak...............however, as I never had the chance to see Bart play, my vote is biased because I know Bart meant one hell of a lot to this franchise and I never got to witness it live. I will finish this by saying:

We are just unbelievably lucky to have had them both. How many teams would drool at the thought of having either one. Thank you Bart, Thank you Brett !!!

Cheers to you both :packbeer: :packbeer:

Big_Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best QB--Favre hands down. Much more athletic and makes throws Starr couldn't even imagine.

Smartest QB--Starr

If Favre had half the brains Starr did he'd have accomplished even more.

phineasfreakears

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Growing up in the 60's, I was lucky to see legendary Packer greats play. The game has changed so much since the Bart Starr days, it is hard to compare the two greatest quarterbacks in Packer history. Bart could manage a game like no other, of course he had the greatest coach of all time managing him. But if you are comparing pure talent, Brett would have to get the nod. As hard as Brett plays the game, Bart would equall him in passion for the game. To sum it all up, it's a horse apiece. Two great quarterbacks in different eras

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett is the better QB but they played in such different eras it is hard to compare the two. What can you say about a QB that led his team to 5 championships other than he got the job done?

Here are their stats:
............G...Att......Comp...%.....Yds........YPA..TD...INT..Rating
Starr 196/ 3,149/ 1,808/ 57.4/ 24,718/ 7.85/ 152/ 138/ 80.5
Favre 244/8,349/ 5,101/ 61.1/ 58,361/ 6.99/ 420/ 275/ 85.2

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett is the better QB but they played in such different eras it is hard to compare the two.

Here are their stats:
............G...Att......Comp...%.....Yds........YPA..TD...INT..Rating
Starr 196/ 3,149/ 1,808/ 57.4/ 24,718/ 7.85/ 152/ 138/ 80.5
Favre 244/8,349/ 5,101/ 61.1/ 58,361/ 6.99/ 420/ 275/ 85.2

That first sentence tells you everything.

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As has been said, two different QB's...two different eras. I've seen both play and it is unfair to compare the two and pick a "best" one. Starr had Taylor, Hornung, Grabowski, Anderson, Mcghee, Dowler, Dale as weapons. Passing was used to keep the defense honest. Nothing can compare to the Packer Sweeep. Lombardi dared you to stop it.

Favre has the arm and nowdays the run is used to keep the defense honest. Some games almost look like arena football with all the passing.

Overall best field general and smart QB....Starr. He could find a defense's weakness in one quarter and pick it apart.

Most fun to watch....Favre.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now, you put up Brett Favre up against ANY QB and Favre wins. Especially on THIS board

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been fortunate enough to have seen both play during my adult life.
Alomg with what Montana Bob said, with which I completely agree, I believe Favre has done more with less.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have long maintained I would put my vote with Bart Starr.

The goal of football is to win championships. Bart won five, lost one.
Brett won one, lost one. Yes, I know there are mitigating factors, like 32 teams now instead of a dozen. But the talent wasn't as deluted as it is now, either.

There is no doubt about Brett Favre's statistics. There is no doubt about his charisma.

But you also must look at Bart Starr's time as coach here as well. Bart put 16 seasons as a player and 9 as coach. His devotion to the Packers is without question. He also held the record for awhile for the longest stretch of passes without an interception, a record Favre isn't anywhere near. This is from the Hall of Fame website:
17th-round draft pick, 1956. . . Precision passer, poised team leader. . .Led Packers to six division, five NFL, two Super Bowl titles. . .NFL Most Valuable Player, 1966. . . MVP in Super Bowls I, II. . .Three-time NFL passing champion. . . In four Pro Bowls. . .Career passing totals: 24,718 yards, 152 TDs, 57.4 completion percentage.From 1960-67, the Packers were 62-24-4 under Starr.

Favre has broken the QB starts record by a mile, but Starr held the record of 196 games played, which was broken in 2003.

If you are playing fantasy football, Brett Favre by a mile. If you measure who is the person to bring the most championships to Green Bay, it is Bart Starr.

I always despise this debate because it's a bit like asking "Who was a better General...Eisenhower or Patton?" Those wanting glory always said Patton, but Eisenhower was the man who organized the effort that saved freedom from the Nazis. Both men were important in history, as are Favre and Starr in theirs.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I picked Favre but to this day I say you can pick one QB for a championship game from anyonein history and it's hard not to take Bart. I not 100% sure but doesn't he still hold the highest passer rating in playoffs. His playoff td's to int's are incredible but how you ever compare the 2. It's like asking whose better, God or Jesus?

starpass

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bart Starr = Titles and Titletown.
Starr less picks...by FAR.
It is like choosing between sons....it really cannot be done.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, you can't compare them. The times, the atheletes themselves, were SO different. Back then, a 300 pound player was almost unheard of. Now, they go close to 400 pounds.
BOTH are my favorites!

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how about we just combine both and call it barette starve lol and create a monster 2 headed 4 armed QB!

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say for Favre though that he has had to carry the team a lot more then Bart ever did. Maybe it was cause Bratkowski was better then the back ups Favre has had but I think the Pack didn't seem to decline to much with him in there which I don't think would be the same with us these days

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I picked favre, cuz he is old enough. cant imagine an 80yr old Starr out there slinging the ball and hearing his knees or shoulder crack and pop like a bowl of rice crispies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts